Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larger wheels

Hey guys,
    I have been reading your forum for some time and find it very informative, its great. I wonder if someone can help me? I have a NJ diesel and find that highway us at 100km/h good, reasonable economy but pushing it to 110km/h and the economy goes out the window, engine reving quite high, like just over 3000rpm. What is the solution. I run standard size tyres and wheels and was wonderinng if I put larger size wheel and tyres would it help or am i way off. Changing diff ratios would mean doing both diff's i would imagine???
    What are my options?

Also got an NJ diesel (2.8 IT).

If you are running the std 15" steel wheels and tyres i BET YOUR SPEEDO IS WAY OFF THE MARK - and at 110 km you'd be pulling greater than 3000rpm - right?

A couple of years back I changed to some 16X6 triton rims and fitted 235 85R16 tyres (BFG AT's). I stuck with the cheese cutters to stay inside the existing GLX guards to keep the insurance co happy (and the 'mod' has been cleared with them - and no I didnt neeed to get an engineers certificate - I'm in Vic so if may be different in other states and with different insurers).

Now the tyre size is closer to 32" dia up from the original 28".

Off road I now have much more clearance (noticeably different !), and on the highway 100km/hr equals 2750rpm (GPS speed). I did have to change the speedo cog which cost me about $35 - and the speedo is now alot more accurate than with the original setup.

Fuel consumption has always been the bane of my life - struggle to get it under 13.5 l/100km - but then the Paj almost always has a boat, camper or heavey traler in tow.

Finally a couple of weeks ago I travelled to Melbourne and back (110 to 115 km/hr over approx 500 km without anything attached to the back) and got 10.25 l/100km - so the larger tyres dont mean poorer fuel economy.

However - The larger tyre does affect low gear - its not as low as it used to be and if I was more serious about rock crawling etc I might thinks about reduction gears.

Hope that helps, Lambie
    NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

larger wheels

Thanks for the info, exactly what I think I need. dont really use off road that much, but like you always towing a van or trailer. Did you buy Triton wheels new or second hand and about how much$$$$$$$
      thanks again

Comment

Bought them second hand - but they were like new and paid $100 for the 4 of them. I did buy a fifth for the spare from a wreckers which cost me $40 for the one rim.

One wacker on ebay recently was trying to sell sets of 4 for $400 - far too much.

The ones I got are 16X6" come off a 2001 -02 ? MK GLX triton. They are silver, 6 spoke and look very similar to the Prado rims. They fit straight onto the NJ paj - no problems.

If you have a look on ebay and look at the 2001 - 02 year triton GLX utes you will see the rims that I am talking about. (I reckon they look better than the original white NJ GLX Paj ones - but thats a personal thing).

Cheers, Lambie
        NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X