overheating as well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating as well

Hi Im new to this forum, however I have a 01 challenger and just recently bought a camp trailer, (weight 1400kg unloaded) on a recent trip the challenger began to over heat going up hills is this a common prob with these vehicles?

It has never overheated before even 4wdriving (and it has been some places even recovered a 4'' lifted pooootrol).
    I have friend who owned a paj with the same size motor and it also began to over heat when towing.

Any info on this prob would be great. The veh is regulary maintained and serviced.
    Cheers
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2lt Diesel, Snorkel, 265/75/16 Cooper ST's, ARB Canopy, Elec rust protection, 40lt Engal fridge, batery pack, Outback drawer system

Complete Campsite camp trailer

Originally posted by trouble View Post
    I have friend who owned a paj with the same size motor and it also began to over heat when towing.

Any info on this prob would be great. The veh is regulary maintained and serviced.
    Cheers
    Not a common problem on Challengers. I just spent a couple of days up in the High Country and was doing some long hauls up the mountains in lo range and no problems with motor heating up (transmission warms up though). Might be the go if you are towing to look at a bigger trans cooler for over the summer months.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Ta for that pickle
      just for your info my A/T warning light also came on, however this has also came on while driving on sand with out towing a C/T, is this a common prob for Challengers? (I am planning a trip to Moreton Island in March with the camp trailer).

I did on the way home from the trip use high range and the over heating prob did not occur as quick but did raise is head when a long steep track confronted me.

Also what is the towing capabilities of the Challengers?

As I am not really mechically mined can you tell me more about the bigger trans cooler:dunno [1]:
      Mitsubishi Triton 3.2lt Diesel, Snorkel, 265/75/16 Cooper ST's, ARB Canopy, Elec rust protection, 40lt Engal fridge, batery pack, Outback drawer system

Comment

Ok I hope your not using 4wd high on the tar as they are not like Pajeros.
        2wd only on tar or hard surfaces.
        Challengers can tow .......2270kg with trailer brakes
        750kg without trailer brakes
        227kg on the towball.
        I haven't really delved into a bigger a/t cooler as I have never had a problem with mine.... but I am sure that there are compatable bigger ones to suit Challengers on the market. It could be worthwhile looking into getting the auto serviced as well.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Over Christmas I did a 3600km trip to the snowy mtns with my mtb on the roof and towing my camper trailer. I sat on the speed limit (a lot of 110) as well as quite a few big climbs in 2nd gear at 5000 rpm (couldn't hold 3rd in lower revs). The engine temp never moved an millimeter. I have a AT cooler fitted it sits on the front left of the radiator. My local mechanic fitted it so I cannot tell you the brand. It is approx 150 x 300mm. As I purchased the challenger to tow my CT I had it fitted as soon as I purchased my car so cannot give a before/after comparison.

I am very happy with my car as a tow vehicle but they do seem to use the juice when fully loaded. I suppose I could slow down a bit though.
          NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by trouble View Post
            Hi Im new to this forum, however I have a 01 challenger and just recently bought a camp trailer, (weight 1400kg unloaded) on a recent trip the challenger began to over heat going up hills is this a common prob with these vehicles?

It has never overheated before even 4wdriving (and it has been some places even recovered a 4'' lifted pooootrol).

Cheers
            Defiantly go for the tranny cooler this will fix the prob as the radiator trans cooler cannot cope in our hot conditions.
            Run the tranny oil through the radiator and then through an external cooler and this should hopefully solve your probs

Comment

Thanks guys
              I will look into it and see what pans out.
              And Pickle no I was not using high range on bitumen it was a dirt/rocky track in the rain.
              Yes the challengers suck the juice when under load

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I got the transmission cooler fitted and the problem is still occuring, ................. went to natrad and asked a few Qs stated that radiator was probably partly blocked, booked it in and yes the radiator was about 1/4 blocked, and the core also had an amount of s#$% in it as well.
                $300 later the problem has been fixed
                Now back in the bush towing without a prob

Brad

Comment

I had the same problem on aPajero NP DID. The radiator was 40% blocked. Cost $90 but I took the radiator out myself.
                  Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

It could have been cheaper for me as well by taking the radiator out myself but no way of getting up to the bloke
                    Brad

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X