Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PA Challenger front Replacement Help Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Challenger front Replacement Help Please?

Ok, the front diff on my PA Challenger 1999 Model is knackered according to my diff repair guy. The problem is the abundant up & down movement where the fwd propellor shaft enters the diff housing.

He can replace the diff with a similar unit no problems, but i thought why not swap to a manual hub diff while its out.

My question is, which diff, I figured an early model Triton one with Aisin Hubs would be the go, but i cant confirm whether it'll fit well or if ratio's will be the same?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of replacement? The diff is being replaced either way, but i figured manual hubs would reduce wear and tear on the new diff.

And advice?
    Last edited by bug276; 13-11-13, 01:10 PM. Reason: Stuffed up Thread Title

Don't know about the diff question but if you are looking for second hand original All Auto Recycling on South Pine Road at Brendale had a couple of PA's in stock a couple of months back. One at least had a good condition TJM (from memory) alloy push bar on the front.
    Cheers
    Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

PA Diff Issue

Thanks Lakey,

I'll give the wreckers a call in Brendale and perhaps they might know of a suitable replacement with manual hubs.

The diff is the issue, I would like to by pass having auto hubs again if I can. Which is what all the stock Challengers have as far I am aware.

I have a TJM bull bar on my PA now, I've to find out if I capable of mounting a winch in it?

Cheers
      Last edited by bug276; 13-11-13, 01:11 PM. Reason: Mis-spelt words

Comment

diff doesnt need to be off an earlier model, you can fit the fwh's to your diff, you really only need the centre and the FWH's, would be cheaper than a complete diff.

Check with bogger to see what ratios he has as am pretty sure the centre is the same as pajero.
        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Cheers Schnitzel,
          The whole front diff is getting replaced as a warranty job, and another PA Challenger will probably be a donor.
          So you reckon just swapping the hubs out when I get it back could be the way to go. ?

I guess the next question is then, which hubs Aisin (which may be found on an old. Pajero or Triton) or AVM's new (on eBay)?

I was only asking about ratios cause I figured Triton and Challenger might be different.

Comment

the hubs can come from most things japanese and brand is really personal choice. Have heard of people using them from pajeros, tritons, delica's rodeos, jackeroos. Just need to check the spline count apparently.

Personally dont see the point as it is another thing you have to remember to do and you have to get out of the car to engage them and if you forget you can blow your viscous coupling up very easily for a minor reduction in fuel usage.
            Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
            Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

I'll find out the spline count and see what i can find. I have heard of people getting Aisin hubs off Pajeros at wreckers quite cheap, I'll look in to it.

I figure the issue with this diff is the fact the front shaft is still turning even when only in 2H. And i'd like to reduce the wear and tear on the next diff. Getting out to lock hubs is something I always used to do anyhow.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

You can buy new free wheeling hubs AVM brand. The ones you need are AVM443 28 SPLINE.
                Rancho RS9000 S/ABS, Tough Dog torsion bars & rear springs with Firestone air bags. AVM heavy duty free wheeling hubs, LPG, Hi-Flow Cat.

Comment

Thanks Luby, I'll look into them and hopefully score a deal.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X