Steering slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering slop

I decided to go ahead and tighten up the steering box freeplay adjuster nut today. It's surprising how much effect that one screw has on the behavior of the steering and the feel of the car when it's motoring along. Between that and the suspension work I just did, the Challenger is feeling a lot 'tighter' than it used to be.
    98 PA Challenger 3.0 LSD, Aux trans cooler, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Maxxis A/T 700s, Tough Dog foam cell dampers & Leaf Springs.

how was this done? i hate the slop on mine
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

The air filter box is removed from the car to gain access. Then there is a slotted screw and a locknut around it on the top of the steering box. I backed off the lock nut, snugged up the screw a touch then re tightened the lock nut whilst ensuring the screw was not tightened any further. Then a low speed test drive to make sure there is no binding of the steering. There's probably threads on a few forums and pics somewhere.
      98 PA Challenger 3.0 LSD, Aux trans cooler, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Maxxis A/T 700s, Tough Dog foam cell dampers & Leaf Springs.

Comment

ok cool
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Originally posted by oz951 View Post
          The air filter box is removed from the car to gain access. Then there is a slotted screw and a locknut around it on the top of the steering box. I backed off the lock nut, snugged up the screw a touch then re tightened the lock nut whilst ensuring the screw was not tightened any further. Then a low speed test drive to make sure there is no binding of the steering. There's probably threads on a few forums and pics somewhere.

I have the service manual but cant seem to find the slotted screw and lock nut you are talking about. I want to do mine, as when sitting still I can move the wheel a fair bit without the wheels turning or before you can feel resistance. Is this what you guys mean by slop?

also, what do you mean by steering binding? im good with changing oil etc etc but have never messed with steering, id hate to shoot off the highway due to messing something up.

Comment

I did this today, but I found it far easier to simply turn the front right tyre an get in there and you can see the screw and lock nut right there in front of you. done in less than 2 mins. Turn the screw an 8th of a turn and test drive each time.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X