Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB Challenger as the only vehicle

Hi guys

I've just arrived on the forum. I'm doing the research before committing to a larger vehicle that'll suit our families lifestyle. We currently drive a T31 X-Trail and even though they are ok off road as far as softroaders go, I'd still like something larger with stronger components etc....and no CVT

With a budget of $20K, there are a few good NP Petrol Pajeros going around, but I've also seen some value for money Challengers. My main concern is not having owned a diesel before. The petrol costs in the Paj doesn't put me off as much as the maintenance on a small capacity turbo diesel doing many short trips around town during the week.

What are people's experiences with the PB Challenger as a daily? Do the 2.5TDs give many headaches when used as a daily / weekend beach warrior?

Any feedback appreciated
    Last edited by etrain; 1 week ago.

Best go anywhere vehicle we have ever owned ...
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

All 4wds have higher maintenance cost compared to a conventional car, and modern turbo diesels cost more to maintain than petrol engines, so what ever you buy it will cost more to run than your X-Trail. Short runs are not good for any vehicle especially diesels, they will do it but you need to decrease the maintenance intervals, so this is an added cost.

How many kids and how old? The Challenger is narrower than the Pajero so car seats can be a problem if you need to have 3 across. The centre of the rear seat is only really suitable for small children and for short distances. The Challenger lift up tailgate is much easier to live with than the heavy rear door of the Pajero. The Pajero has more grunt for towing. Pajero auto trans is nicer than the Challenger, but this can be fixed with Auto Mate.
      Auto trans are generally easier to use off road than manual trans but this comes at higher maintenance cost.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Appreciate the feedback guys.

old Jack , we have two kids, still on the young side so a narrow Challenger wont be much of an issue I'd expect. Main weigh up for me would be the thirstier Paj VS the maintenance on the Challenger's diesel power plant.

I'm thinking petrol Pajero for now. I know it's not just a case of two extra spark plugs and some more oil at service but from what I've read, there's less to go wrong than with the diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by etrain View Post

old Jack , we have two kids, still on the young side so a narrow Challenger wont be much of an issue I'd expect. Main weigh up for me would be the thirstier Paj VS the maintenance on the Challenger's diesel power plant.

I'm thinking petrol Pajero for now. I know it's not just a case of two extra spark plugs and some more oil at service but from what I've read, there's less to go wrong than with the diesel.
          petrols are for short term savings... diesels are for long term savings........

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Originally posted by etrain View Post

The difference in fuel cost if you do 15,000kms a year and fuel is $1.50 a litre, and you get 12 litres per 100kms from the diesel and 18 litres per 100kms from the petrol then the fuel saving per year is $1350 running a diesel. Given the price of injectors, common rails, pumps, oil etc., etc. for a diesel engine compared to a petrol engine, I suspect a older petrol engine is cheaper to run and maintain than a older diesel engine.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

The difference in fuel cost if you do 15,000kms a year and fuel is $1.50 a litre, and you get 12 litres per 100kms from the diesel and 18 litres per 100kms from the petrol then the fuel saving per year is $1350 running a diesel. Given the price of injectors, common rails, pumps, oil etc., etc. for a diesel engine compared to a petrol engine, I suspect a older petrol engine is cheaper to run and maintain than a older diesel engine.

OJ.
              the OP has $20k to spend ... remembering OP asked a NP Petrol (Old) vs Challenger (newer)...
              haven’t seen anyone post pump or injector failure as of yet on the challengers ... <300k km +++
              when and if the OP decides to load up or tow the petrol L/100kms will be considerably higher then the diesel ...

we do short trips all week ... try to do highway runs weekends (lucky enough the challengers don’t run a dpf )...

NB There’s starting to be a more of a challenger following ... they are becoming more popular (hence price increases) ...... many a prado/navara/patrol owner has now moved onto a challenger and been quoted as luving them ..... even to go so far as being able to trump those vehicles once the challengers had front & rear diff lockers ...

At the end of the day on the OP can decide on his/her preference.. we are just here to add our 2 cents worth ...

Comment

Originally posted by littleriver View Post

the OP has $20k to spend ... remembering OP asked a NP Petrol (Old) vs Challenger (newer)...
                haven’t seen anyone post pump or injector failure as of yet on the challengers ... <300k km +++
                when and if the OP decides to load up or tow the petrol L/100kms will be considerably higher then the diesel ...

we do short trips all week ... try to do highway runs weekends (lucky enough the challengers don’t run a dpf )...

NB There’s starting to be a more of a challenger following ... they are becoming more popular (hence price increases) ...... many a prado/navara/patrol owner has now moved onto a challenger and been quoted as luving them ..... even to go so far as being able to trump those vehicles once the challengers had front & rear diff lockers ...

At the end of the day on the OP can decide on his/her preference.. we are just here to add our 2 cents worth ...
                For $20K you will get a lower km and newer Challenger than a Pajero.
                Everyone goes on about the saving in fuel cost of a diesel but when you crunch the numbers and then take maintenance cost into it then there is not a lot in it.
                Agree the Challenger engine has not had injector, injector or dpf problems which is great, but we cannot ignore the block/head problem that causes overheating, this problem seems to be happening less as more engines are replaced under "extended" warranty. Also the expensive tappet adjustment and timing/balance belts maintenance.
                Body and Suspension wise the Challenger is pretty robust so no issues there.
                The manual trans in the Challenger had the occasional problem but most of these should have come to the surface and been fixed. The high first gear and diff ratios mean you need to slip the clutch if travelling heavy or towing on steep start off and off road.
                The auto trans in the Challenger is underwhelming, lazy, sluggish and rubbery that chews fuel, it goes into limp mode when towing but these problems can be fixed with fitting Auto Mate. Cost of ATF flush and change is significant in both the Challenger and Pajero.

If I had my time again and had the choice between a NW Pajero and a PB/PC Challenger I would still choose the Challenger as it suits my requirements better.
                Would I like the Pajero 3,2 CRD and Aisin 5 speed in the Challenger?
                Absolutely!
                Do I want the extra size and bulk, heavy rear door and the NVH of the unibody/ monocoque construction?
                No.

OJ.

Comment

Thanks for the great discussion guys. Didn't mean to open a can of worms

littleriver your usage would be very close to how we'll use ours. I won't be towing with it. And your right, I have noticed an increase in PB Challenger prices.

old Jack great info there thanks mate. And it's like you say, things seem to even out with this particular comparison.

One can only do so much faffing about so I'll get the first good one I find checked out and if the report is good, take it...Challenger or Pajero

Thanks again for the info

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X