Replacement PC shocks - Monroe, KYB, RAW, other ?? Any experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimo82 View Post
    Yep have old strut and bottom bolt centre to top of bottom spring mount is roughly:
    original: 222mm ish
    In car (ultimate): maybe 225mm in similar position.

Can't jack at present but box they left old gear in has right part numbers.

Will ring supplier/king springs tomorrow to enquire - does seem very odd. I was going off their reported post numbers, I measure it at 540 front which is only 5mm gain on 80k km shocks with suspected leaky left.

Re alignment I asked the same thing, I think they aligned it though a third party and only just discovered immediatly pre pickup - else I told them for the sake of new $20 bolts I would have had them change since I'm running brand spanking new tyres and had paid for alignment as part of package.
    Hi Grimo,

The 210mm is at the lowest part of the top face of the spring seat, that is where it steps down for the end of the coil pigtail wire end to locate so 220mm or even 227mmm could be possible on another portion of the spring seat given the factory coil diameter is 17mm. So I think to strut lower coil sear is not the problem.

All data I have has been supplied by Kings and I can only use this to base my assessment on. In an earlier post I shared the specifications I have been given so it would be good if you could get them verified.

Factory front coils have a free length of 312mm and a spring rate of 12.14kg/mm
    KCFS-55 front coils have a free length of 300mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm these coils will return the front ride heights back to about factory specs +10mm approx.
    KCFR-55SP front coils have a free length of 310mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm, these will give you about a 30mm lift and given the minimal extra accessory load on the front axle these would be the coils I would suggest.
    KCFR-55 front coils have a free length of 315mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm these coils will raise you front suspension up too high considering your loads.
    KCFR-55H front coils have a free length of 320mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm and these coils will definitely be too high!
    KCRR-55HD front coils have a free length of 325mm and a spring rate of 14.65kg/mm and these are only suitable for vehicles with a steel bar, winch, aux battery and front underbody guards.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Yep my measurements are roughly an inch before the step down on each seat just because thats what aligns on the mounted strut that I can reach - so agree very close to the same.

I checked out my mates triton running ultimate struts (roughly comparable guess - same bash plates, has alloy nudge and second battery front left) and it's running kcfr-55h with an EBH of 555-560..which id be happy with if achievable.

Just bloody hard to know if it's these springs or weight without tearing them down again.

I'll confirm ratings with king's tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again!
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice rig. Any info about the bull bar?

Comment

Originally posted by xadrian82 View Post
          Nice rig. Any info about the bull bar?
          my challenger is running a powder coated ECB Alloy bar: https://portal.ecb.com.au/products/28418

the triton a standard mitsubushi (GLXR) polished nudge bar

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Hi Grimo,

The 210mm is at the lowest part of the top face of the spring seat, that is where it steps down for the end of the coil pigtail wire end to locate so 220mm or even 227mmm could be possible on another portion of the spring seat given the factory coil diameter is 17mm. So I think to strut lower coil sear is not the problem.

All data I have has been supplied by Kings and I can only use this to base my assessment on. In an earlier post I shared the specifications I have been given so it would be good if you could get them verified.

Factory front coils have a free length of 312mm and a spring rate of 12.14kg/mm
            KCFS-55 front coils have a free length of 300mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm these coils will return the front ride heights back to about factory specs +10mm approx.
            KCFR-55SP front coils have a free length of 310mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm, these will give you about a 30mm lift and given the minimal extra accessory load on the front axle these would be the coils I would suggest.
            KCFR-55 front coils have a free length of 315mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm these coils will raise you front suspension up too high considering your loads.
            KCFR-55H front coils have a free length of 320mm and a spring rate of 13.42kg/mm and these coils will definitely be too high!
            KCRR-55HD front coils have a free length of 325mm and a spring rate of 14.65kg/mm and these are only suitable for vehicles with a steel bar, winch, aux battery and front underbody guards.

OJ.
            Gday OJ, FYI i just checked with King springs - your free heights for models are correct but the weights are not:

Front:
            KCFR-55SP is 310mm @ 730lb (described as lighter duty special model for triton)
            KCFR-55 is 315mm @ 750lb - which they are recommending will add +10-15mm - and they have tested with a bullbar (unknown material).
            KCFR-55H is 320mm @ 750lb with an expected increase of 20mm height over '55SP' - this is what my mates triton is running.

given im sitting at near factory with 55SP, perhaps 55H is the safest but to match the rear and future proof accessory load.

Rear:
            KCRR-23 - they seem to think are too high? - but they have only given me +40mm unloaded

Comment

Gday OJ, FYI i just checked with King springs - your free heights for models are correct but the weights are not:
              Kings have given you spring weights in pounds per inch i.e. how many pounds of mass on top of the spring to compress the spring by one inch.

OJ has converted these figures to kilograms and millimetres, and his figures for the 55 and 55H match those of Kings. For the 55SP, OJ has recorded the same 750lb rate as for the other two, where Kings are saying it's 730lb - converted, that would be 13.06 kg/mm.

Less than 3% difference in spring rate, but admittedly, given the amplification of distance provided by the independent design, that 3% difference in rate could be enough for a 5mm - 10mm difference in ride height (ignoring that the lighter spring is also shorter).
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Front:
                KCFR-55SP is 310mm @ 730lb (described as lighter duty special model for triton)
                KCFR-55 is 315mm @ 750lb - which they are recommending will add +10-15mm - and they have tested with a bullbar (unknown material).
                KCFR-55H is 320mm @ 750lb with an expected increase of 20mm height over '55SP' - this is what my mates triton is running.

given im sitting at near factory with 55SP, perhaps 55H is the safest but to match the rear and future proof accessory load.

Rear:
                KCRR-23 - they seem to think are too high? - but they have only given me +40mm unloaded
                Thanks for the update Grimo,

The difference between 730lbs/in (13.0363kg/mm) vs 750lbs/inch (13.3935kg/mm) this is only 3% so it should not make a huge difference. Tonight I will review my calculations.

My understanding is the 55SP was particularly designed for the Pajero Sport and MQ/MR Tritons with the 2.4ltre CRD 4N15 engine.

My concern would be the 55H would be too high until you add additional weight to the front end. You must retain 2/3's of the front suspension droop travel to remain legal, and to prevent unwanted and unnecessary activations of the TC, ASC & ABS both on and off road. Offroad you can quickly lose traction if you are running out of wheel travel.

570mm rear EBH for the KCRR-23 is not too high, at 585/590mm in the auto you can start to get some driveline harmonics between 35kph to 45kph when accelerating, this can be fixed with offset bushes in the trailing arms is required. Up to EBH 600mm has been reported ok on manual trans models. 602mm is the theoretical legal lift limit as long as you retain 2/3s of the original droop travel.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X