Installing X-Rox Rock Sliders - My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinDanger View Post
    I’m deciding now whether to try another brand or get my own built up. Has anyone bought sliders from these guys:
    https://www.scfabworks.com.au/produc...std-challenger
    We are also interested in these sliders also ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
      We are also interested in these sliders also ...
      Spoke to these guys the other day. They also use stock photos so the one you see for the challenger isn’t what you actually get. It’s such a shame that this is done without any warning. And so slack too - how hard is it to take a photo? Even if it isn’t a good photo, it would give potential customers a better idea of what they are actually buying.

Nevertheless, they say that the challenger model has 2 U-type brackets (front and middle) and the rear is a flat bracket, probably using the captive nuts in the chassis rail on the passenger side. Looks like a much easier install with only 1 bolt per bracket for the U-type brackets and two for the rear flat plate bracket.

Comment

UPDATE
        Had my install checked by All 4x4 Services in Busselton. They have offered me a refund as long as I do the uninstall and only once the manufacturer has approved the refund.

As it turns out, the installer rarely expects parts such as these to fit and has to modify them the majority of the time (like enlarging holes or grinding parts down). He said it wasn't only X-Rox, but essentially all brands. He said numerous times "this is what I have to deal with all the time" and "welcome to my world", meaning that he has to deal with poor fitment and alignment issues, wrong size holes, brackets that are the wrong shape, interference issues etc with a good portion of the accessories he fits.

He said that a margin of +/-10mm is normal saying that cars of the same model are different. I wonder whether he has ever thought how other part manufacturers manage to make bumpers, bonnets etc that do fit?

He pointed out another issue with my sliders - the fuel lines (non-flexible type metal pipes) were too close to the u-bolts holding the front brackets in place and would rub through eventually with vibration. He said that he just bends these fuel lines out of the way when he installs sliders. Keep in mind that the instructions said absolutely nothing about modifying fuel line routes.

When I pointed out the warning on the instructions that the X-Rox sliders can't be used as steps and that they didn't disclose that anywhere before sale, he said, rather sternly, that when you buy rock sliders, you shouldn't expect them to be steps too. However, when you have a look at the different brands of rock sliders for sale, by far the vast majority of them do work as steps.

It seems that poor fitment, poor design and misleading and incomplete product information is not only common but absolutely tolerated in the industry according to him.

p.s. I did email X-Rox 2 weeks ago asking for a copy of the install instructions and the expected clearances for the sliders but, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, no response.

Comment

p.s. I did email 2 weeks ago asking for a copy of the install instructions and the expected clearances for the sliders but, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, no response.
          I recall that, many years ago, there was a bit of an up-roar on another 4wd forum. Orders were long overdue, they wouldn't answer their phone / respond to emails, but their Facebook page was receiving regular updates of parties in their factory.

I'm a little surprised that they're still in business.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

I recall that, many years ago, there was a bit of an up-roar on another 4wd forum. Orders were long overdue, they wouldn't answer their phone / respond to emails, but their Facebook page was receiving regular updates of parties in their factory.

I'm a little surprised that they're still in business.
            Just sayin, but when i'm rich, think i'll just fit Kieron's .
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

As a Panel beater we fit many aftermarket steps sliders and bull bars - I would also confirm its not ideal but yes can be quite normal having to modify band new "made for a vehicle" components to make them fit even or even fit at all - and that also includes ARB and aother major brands ---- the world of aftermarket accessories is not a friendly one - this is why often chargeout rates seem exccessive - and we now have insurance companies refusing to allow us to subcontract to fitting shops (because they charge $120 an hour and insurance gets away with paying the beater $30 an hour) - just fitted a brand new toyota bull bar to a 79 series - Insurance gave us 4 hours it took 6 at $30 an hour they cant understand why we wont do it....
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                As a Panel beater we fit many aftermarket steps sliders and bull bars - I would also confirm its not ideal but yes can be quite normal having to modify band new "made for a vehicle" components to make them fit even or even fit at all - and that also includes ARB and aother major brands ---- the world of aftermarket accessories is not a friendly one - this is why often chargeout rates seem exccessive - and we now have insurance companies refusing to allow us to subcontract to fitting shops (because they charge $120 an hour and insurance gets away with paying the beater $30 an hour) - just fitted a brand new toyota bull bar to a 79 series - Insurance gave us 4 hours it took 6 at $30 an hour they cant understand why we wont do it....
                I feel you pain Stumagoo, I have been within that world and the insurance companies dont make it easy for the panel beaters at all. Even more so now that your beating aspect has been reduced to panel replacement the skill level and art of panel beating is slowly dieing and will one day be lost. Some of the jobs I have seen like any industry there are some dodgey operators but the insurance companies dont make it easier for the good guys.
                95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 running 18psi 2inch lift, 2 inch body lift, factory rear LSD maxxis bighorn muddies 25,000klms after total engine rebuild - Club reged Currently around 307,000klms

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver Bone stoke getting a engine rebuild after a Major overheat (previous owner) - My current project

Comment

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                  the world of aftermarket accessories is not a friendly one
                  Insurance gave us 4 hours it took 6 at $30 an hour they cant understand why we wont do it....
                  Refusing to fit accessories for those rates is a good thing, just as long as the client knows why. These poor fitment issues seem to never be seen by the owners of cars because they don't usually fit them themselves. Result? They think the accessory is great but what really great is the installer that made the damn thing fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

Just sayin, but when i'm rich, think i'll just fit Kieron's .
                    Mine have been on for 4 years now. Fitted perfect, look good, is also a step , good price and very happy with them.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                    If you take life too seriously you will never get out alive....

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

Mine have been on for 4 years now. Fitted perfect, look good, is also a step , good price and very happy with them.
                      I've ordered his alloy sump, cooler plates along with rear bumper.

I also noticed he likes Pajero forum members & frt inclusive which all helps

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

who is this Kieron Person/ shop?
                        Any chance of a link?

Comment

Any chance of a link?
                          Quality products and he has been extremely helpful to many Pajero forum members..

Bushskinz
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                          If you take life too seriously you will never get out alive....

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Any chance of a link?
                            Aka Bushskinz. Began with Kieron's Paj, when he was a regular here.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks Dicko1, NJ SWB.
                              Tried the site but it didn’t list any rock sliders for the Challenger. Will send them an email.

edit 12 April - got a response quickly saying that while the sliders for challenger are not listed, they do sell them and provided some photos. Much quicker response to my query than X-Rox who still haven’t responded after 3 weeks now.
                              Last edited by MartinDanger; 3 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X