Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Side Mirror

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my passenger side mirror on my PB MY12 LS Challenger. When I open it up from the dashboard button, it extends almost 180 degrees and sits almost flat against the front fender. It folds back in OK.
    I'm guessing that there is a limit switch that is broken as the motor works fine and doesn't keep running once it hits the limits. The mirror slows down around the normal open position but then speeds up until it hits the forward limit. If I manually pull it back to position, when I start the car it runs back to the forward position again.
    I've pulled it all apart according to the online manual but it doesn't go into the detail of extracting the motor from the retract mechanism and I can't work out how to remove the plastic shroud from drive. There is a screw up underneath the drive, but there is no way to remove it with the shroud in place.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to get this apart, or if in fact the switch is servicable? I don't really want to have to pay for a new one just due to a broken switch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1096445

Name:	Mirror2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1096446
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Dennis
    MY12 PB LS Manual (Ironbark), HR towbar, Cooper AT3 Tyres, GME UHF, MM Alloy Nudgebar, Rhino-rack roof racks & basket, EGR resistor mod, DP-Chip, Diff Breathers.

Hi Dennis,

I have never had a mirror apart but work on the theory that it is an assembled unit so it must be abled to be disassembled. Problem is that there are often one way clip type fittings that unless you can work out how to unclip them there is a good chance of breaking something if you use too much force.

I have looked at the circuit diagram and it does not show any limit switches, that does mean there are not some incorporated in the un fold/fold motor (maybe???)
    Something must limit the travel range of the the unfold/fold motor and turning the power off .

There must be some sort of mechanical clutch system that allows to mirror to fold fully forward or fully rearwards in the event of an impact, does the left mirror require the same amount of force to fold forwards and rearwards as the right mirror? If this is different then maybe this is the root cause of the problem?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Yeah, that is my thoughts as well. Just going to have to somehow work out how to get it apart.

I can see that the arm that holds the mirror is separate, but there is an inaccessible screw that I believe needs to be removed to separate it.

The limit switches seem to be in the drive unit themselves, as when I apply power the mirror opens up, but goes all the way to the forward extreme limit. Reverse polarity and it folds back in.

The clutch to allow the mirrors to fold in case of being hit are the same between the drivers and the passengers mirrors, however the passenger one skips over the stop point and goes all the way to the forward limit.

I'll keep at it and report back if/when I manage to crack it (pun intended).

Cheers
      Dennis
      MY12 PB LS Manual (Ironbark), HR towbar, Cooper AT3 Tyres, GME UHF, MM Alloy Nudgebar, Rhino-rack roof racks & basket, EGR resistor mod, DP-Chip, Diff Breathers.

Comment

OK, managed to get it all apart. Just pull off every cover you can find and undo every screw. You also need to remove the wires from the plug and remove the tape from both ends of the cable sleeve. I managed to get the motor out and there is definitely something wrong with it. I'll take it down to MM to see if I can get a replacement, otherwise a whole new mirror assembly can be purchased for $350 (https://www.myautoparts.com.au/produ...xoCvegQAvD_BwE). I wonder if MM will sell this as an individual part or if they'll just try to sell me the whole mirror assembly.

This is the source of my troubles:

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1096581

Cheers
        Dennis

Comment

As expected, MM can't sell me the part, only the whole mirror assembly for $680, so it looks like I'm going to go with myautoparts unless I can find a wrecker with one that still works.

Cheers
          Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by whitedg View Post
            As expected, MM can't sell me the part, only the whole mirror assembly for $680, so it looks like I'm going to go with myautoparts unless I can find a wrecker with one that still works.

Cheers
            Dennis
            Hi Dennis,

Put your VIN in PartSouq to get the correct part number, then do an online search of this part number online. This mirror was used on PB/PC Challengers as well as MN Tritons. Expect to pay between 1/3 and 2/3's of the MMAL price.

Is there any part number or brand on the motor itself? These motors will be made by someone else and be used in other vehicles and brands so you might be able to increase your options if you know what other vehicle mirrors use the same motor. You might even get lucky and be able to buy the motor!

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks for the tip OJ. The diagram and part number are exactly the same as what MM gave me with the quote (70010AL for the whole assembly, although you can buy the indicator, mirror and body-coloured cover separately).
              PartSouq did however give me another part number - 7632B233YA which I'll do some searching on to see if I can find another source.

The motor itself had very little writing on it. Just a CE number from memory (have put it back together and disconnected the retract motor as you don't realise how much you rely on the outside mirrors). I opened it up (was sealed up well with silicon as well as clips) and it was a small "hobby" motor, a PCB and a number of gears. I didn't see any limit switches so it could be a timing thing to position the mirror.

Cheers
              Dennis

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X