Side step/slider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side step/slider

Anybody fitted a top quality slider step to replace the factory step?
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
    Anybody fitted a top quality slider step to replace the factory step?
    Fitted sliders from BushSkinz - no problems with product

Alex
    NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
    NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags

Comment

Originally posted by Drjohn11 View Post
      Fitted sliders from BushSkinz - no problems with product

Alex
      Do you have an internet link to them? And maybe a photo of your 4b?

Also, with a more rigid side step, is air bag performance affected?
      My blog - www.offroadaussie.com
      2010 PB LS Challenger Auto. RedArc dual battery. GME UFH 80ch. Cargo barrier. Custom recovery points. Factory bull bar and towbar. Wandering Star Bushmaster camper trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Rosscomatic View Post

I have bush skinz sliders and yes, as far as I know, it won't be adr complied....if you're worried about that sort of thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Rosscomatic View Post

yes not ADR compliant and probably affects air bags

link is http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/
          NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
          NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags

Comment

There are no ADR's that specifically refer to side steps/sliders.
            ADR 69 is Frontal Protection, ADR 73 is Offset Collision & ADR 72 is Side Impact.

ADR 72 does not particularly prescribe what is allowed or not allowed in regards to structures. It refers only to measuring the impact forces on the test dummy and the method of testing and result calculations.

The PB Challenger's side steps attach to the body so I would expect any aftermarket side step/slider that uses the same mounts would have an insignificant effect on the range of "crash pulses" that could occur in an accident that the Side Airbag activation system is designed to cope with. After all the SRS ECU detects yaw rate and the impact sensor detects the amount and rate of force being transmitted through the side body structure. The SRS system has to calculate the impact of a tree, post, pole, motor bike, car, truck, embankment or road surface and the resultant forces that are being transmitted. The system reacts to the circumstances which vary greatly so the removal or replacement of the standard side steps would be small and of little consequence in my opinion. My concern would be the strength and long term durability of the original mounting points if extra heavy duty side steps/sliders were fitted.

If the replacement steps bolted on to the chassis rather than the body then my thoughts are the same in regards to airbag activation. However the chassis and body of the Challenger are independent of each other and can move 20mm easily so if clearance was insufficient then the sliders could rub on the body under certain circumstances.

Also in the case of a side impact to the left hand side, any non standard body or chassis mounting should not increase the chance of damage and rupture to the fuel tank in the event of a side impact.

If the replacement side step/slider "dangerously protrudes" from the body then this is illegal.

cheers, old Jack.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks OJ for clearing that up. It was always my understanding that it was not ADR compliant and did affect air bag activation. Happy to be corrected

Alex

PS the BushSkinz sliders attach to the chassis

Comment

Originally posted by Drjohn11 View Post
                Thanks OJ for clearing that up. It was always my understanding that it was not ADR compliant and did affect air bag activation. Happy to be corrected

Alex

PS the BushSkinz sliders attach to the chassis
                No worries Alex, the "non compliant ADR" and even "ADR compliant" is regularly misused as a marketing tool by those who have a commercial interest. In 2009 Mitsubishi used this by saying aftermarket tow bars were non ADR compliant on Challengers due to tow ball height, fact is the Challenger is an "MC" classification under the ADR's and is exempt from the section of ADR 62 Mechanical Connections between Vehicles, which specifies tow ball height.

I have not seen exactly how the Bushskinz sliders attach so I can not comment any further on this.

cheers, old Jack.

PS: Off thread but I just checked ADR62 clause 5.2.3.2 re tow ball laden heights of 350mm to 420mm and in the latest version of ADR62/02 Feb 2010 this clause has now been deleted and there is no height limits mentioned.
                Last edited by old Jack; 14-11-13, 11:35 AM. Reason: PS ADR62 update.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Old Jack, I think you'll find that the Bushskinz sliders attach to the chassis of the Challenger, as they do for the Triton. The attachment points on the body are quite weak, insufficient for sliders, unlike the Pajero where they have proven to be more than strong enough.

Edit: Just rescanned up the page and note that chassis attachment has already been pointed out.
                  Last edited by NFT5; 14-11-13, 02:57 PM.
                  Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X