Oversteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversteer

Is it just me, or does the Challenger feel like it is set up for oversteer? The tail seems to come around much quicker than I am accustomed to in the Pathy.

In very strong cross winds today and heavy rain even driving very easy the tail felt like it was wagging.

Crappy suspension would be my answer. Mine, pre 'intervention', loved a good tail waggle. Fun mostly, down right dangerous too frequently.

Easy fixed...just takes some $$$
    2010 LS 7 Seater. 2" Ultimate upgrade. TJM winch bar & bash plates. TJM dual battery & Airtec snorkel. K&N airfilter. Mitsubishi roof racks with Tigerz11 3.0x2.5 awning. Uniden 7760 CB.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyhorse View Post
      Is it just me, or does the Challenger feel like it is set up for oversteer? The tail seems to come around much quicker than I am accustomed to in the Pathy.

In very strong cross winds today and heavy rain even driving very easy the tail felt like it was wagging.
      How many ks do you have on your car? if your car is wagging side to side and is easily upset, it sounds like your like shocks are half worn.
      The standard suspension is set up quite soft. And tends not to react quickly enough to change of direction, this can result in a wallowing feeling.
      Also if you have standard suspension with an after market bull bar, this can compress the front down significantly; and may result in an imbalance front to rear, In which the rear ride height has a higher roll center effecting a tendency to dramtically unload the inside rear wheel when cornering. You can imagine how this can easily result in oversteer.

cheers
      mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

Yep, sound like a shockie problem. What sort of tyre pressures do you run?
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
          Yep, sound like a shockie problem. What sort of tyre pressures do you run?
          Sorry guys, I should have been clearer...it is a MY12 bought earlier this year and has less than 7K on it. I am, I think, trying to ascertain if anyone else feels this is strange, or it is just me. And as I tow a van (1700kg ATM) about 30% of the time my tires pressures are a little higher than normal.

Comment

Not strange at all. Front end on the Challenger is the same as the Triton and mine lasted only 8000km. You think it feels like it wants to oversteer? Imagine what it would be like with a body a metre or more longer and cart springs set up to take a 1 tonne load, without ASC or TC. Fun.

New shocks are the answer, preferably with upgraded springs. You WILL be amazed at the transformation.

Ultimate Suspension are the most experienced with the Triton/Challenger. Give them a call.
            Chris

Comment

Interesting because I've had some recent highway experience towing a car on a tandem trailer in side winds and heavy storms and it behaved beautifully. It really did, pleasantly surprised.
              Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

Yeah, our 2012 with 16K on the clock drives perfectly well also. Slightly thumpy but not yet bad and certainly stable in a straight line.

Interesting though the other day in the rain I pulled out on to the highway with the ASC off and managed to step the rear end out without triggering the traction control yet at other times even in the dry I'm flat out getting out of the side street quickly without the traction control shutting me down. On the highway it's across 3 lanes of traffic and a decent median strip so a reasonable amount of straight line to get a bit of speed and revs up. Would have fully expected the TC to cut the fun though.

I don't think I've driven another car with such poorly programmed stability programs.

Comment

Pathfinder is IRS while the Challenger is Live Axle Leaf Springs?
                  NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbo View Post
                    Pathfinder is IRS while the Challenger is Live Axle Leaf Springs?
                    Wash your mouth out, PB has coil springs
                    Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

There are reports of MY 12 shocks failing early in the life of the vehicle. Get them checked or do it your self. Oil around the seals is a good indication.

Your Challenger may be affected by the recent recall so get that checked out also. See other post about this and check your VIN.
                      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
                        Wash your mouth out, PB has coil springs
                        OK, so the Challenger has Coil Rear and the Triton has Leaf Rear? So it must be the Live Axle that gives them Oversteer? Pathfinder with it's IRS will Grip Like Glue.
                        NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the grip on my PB with worn BFG ATs, but it does have good shocks.
                          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X