Is the Challenger over geared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Challenger over geared?

Ever wondered if the manual Challengers are over geared?

I have a set of factory Triton wheels fitted with 245/65-R17 tyres. Out of interest I put them on the Challenger for a week of normal commuting.
    I was amazed at the difference. Acceleration was noticeably better, handling was not affected, and fuel consumption was the best I have seen. If you watch my posts I mentioned it was in the high 7 ish lt/100.

Apart from higher revs at a GPS monitored speed the only real down side is the wheels look so small and the lower vehicle height.

Some comparison specs on generic tyre sizes are below. Actual sizes could differ between brands.

Sorry no pics as the MTR tyres have been fitted on these rims now, Thanks to a friendly Toyota dealership who changed them for free, family do come in handy.
    Last edited by wasarangie; 20-11-13, 08:50 AM. Reason: Tyre sizes are correct now. Thanks for pointing it out.
    SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Are you sure you have those tyre/wheel sizes correct?

I've never heard of 265/75 on a 17 inch rim - are you sure they're not 265/70 tyres on a 17 inch rim?

Likewise, are the 245 tyres on a 16 inch or 17 inch rim?

Probably doesn't matter too much - the % difference is probably still about what you calculated.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Tyre sizes look wrong to me too.
      All PB Challengers have tyres 776mm in diameter ( 265/65-17 & 265/70-16) and I recall that Tritons have a smaller diameter tyre of 750mm (245/70-16).

Agree with comment re Challengers are over geared , apart from fitting smaller diameter tyres the only other option is changing diff ratios front & rear.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Are they geared differently to a Triton manual 2.5 DiD?
        Last edited by Goodsy; 24-11-13, 01:58 PM.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Tyre sizes were incorrect. I have altered the original post.

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Hi Wasarangie,

I'm interested in your fuel economy improvement.

Would the
            improved fuel economy figures, for running reduced diameter wheels, be a result of the trip computer calculating the distance based on the original rolling circumference of your 17" rims +tyres?

Or...... Did you do it manually using a gps and measuring the fuel going into the tank?

Thanks......

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
              Hi Wasarangie,

I'm interested in your fuel economy improvement.

Would the
              improved fuel economy figures, for running reduced diameter wheels, be a result of the trip computer calculating the distance based on the original rolling circumference of your 17" rims +tyres?

Or...... Did you do it manually using a gps and measuring the fuel going into the tank?

Thanks......
              All speed and distance figures used were taken off the GPS trip recorder. I have 2 readings which are 7.75 lt/100 and 7.82 l/100 with the smaller wheels.

My factory trip computer lives in the shed now. Just gives information that I rarely, if ever looked at.

For what ever reason I am able to get fuel use in the 8.5 - 9.1 lt/100 most of the time with the standard wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                Are they geared differently to a Triton manual 2.5 DiD?
                ?

Reason I ask as my brothers Triton towed near on 3 tonne with ease (100k's). My PJ on a
                tandem and also in high range on a tow strap for 30k's on slow dirt.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                  ?

Reason I ask as my brothers Triton towed near on 3 tonne with ease (100k's). My PJ on a
                  tandem and also in high range on a tow strap for 30k's on slow dirt.
                  That would be interesting to find out. When I get back home I will find out. There must be a reason for the lower profile tyres. Even if they just give a lower overall gearing. The Triton alloys came of a GLX-R 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                    That would be interesting to find out. When I get back home I will find out. There must be a reason for the lower profile tyres. Even if they just give a lower overall gearing. The Triton alloys came of a GLX-R 4x4.
                    Just had a quick look at the NewTriton site.

Information suggests that the Challenger and the Triton in 2010 had the following.

5th gear - 0.788
                    T/case High - 1-1
                    Diff - 4.1

With that info it would seem the difference is the tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                      Just had a quick look at the NewTriton site.

Information suggests that the Challenger and the Triton in 2010 had the following.

5th gear - 0.788
                      T/case High - 1-1
                      Diff - 4.1

With that info it would seem the difference is the tyres.
                      that info is incorrect for the 2010 triton

most of the models have diff ratios of 3.9 (same as the challenger) and some have 3.6 which would be worse.

Although the GLr model has a 4 speed auto and 4.1 ratios

There are some guys that have upgraded to 4.1 ratios from the ML (2006-2009), these ML tritons have the larger 9.5" 12 bolt diffs but the ratios can be adaped into the MN 9" diff

So it depends on the model range, the closest comparison from the triton to the challenger shows the same gearing.

I have all the triton and challenger pdf's, but they are all over the 1.8mb file size allowed for attachments

I have attached a screen capture of the 2010 models comparing both triton and challenger models- note the triton is on the bottom
                      Attached Files
                      ML triton with some accessories
                      National E Trek Libary
                      Getting Out There

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X