Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bash plates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best bash plates

    Hi All

    Just wanted some options on what the best bash plates were.

    bushskins VS ARB VS TJM. (any others?)

    Also does anyone run the transmision plate?
    2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

  • #2
    you wont get a straight answer with which bashplates are better as no two bumps/dents are alike. im sure all those bashplates are 4mm in thinkness so they should be all the same, i chose bushskinz because they looked nicer. havent had the chance to 'test' them yet

    Comment


    • #3
      I think bushskinz is the only one with a 4mm thickness, the others are 3mm.

      I found a triton cad drawing of the bash plates online and are getting my neighbour at work who is a sheet metal fabricator to make a set for me, for substantially less than the commerical ones are. I'm getting 3mm mild steel and I'm hoping the brackets will last with out cracking.

      Aaron
      2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ironman do a set that covers the engine and transmission:
        http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/ubprotection.html

        I'm looking to get these on my car in the new year hopefully.
        My blog - www.offroadaussie.com
        2010 PB LS Challenger Auto. RedArc dual battery. GME UFH 80ch. Cargo barrier. Custom recovery points. Factory bull bar and towbar. Wandering Star Bushmaster camper trailer

        Comment


        • #5
          I got bushskinz because of the good rep i read on the forum.
          Good service and look good. All the plates and sliders bolted on easy with bolts supplied. All holes matched up and had good instructions.
          .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Motorace View Post
            Hi All

            Just wanted some options on what the best bash plates were.

            bushskins VS ARB VS TJM. (any others?)

            Also does anyone run the transmision plate?
            Baysies
            Prestige Offroad
            Asfir
            Avenger
            Brown Davis
            Macquarie 4x4
            Ironman

            plus there are some designs floating around that you can make up, or have made up yourself.

            4mm is best. I had the Prestige Offroad ones and they took everything I could throw at them. You should upgrade the factory mounting points which are quite weak.

            The transmission plate really isn't necessary unless you intend to bounce the belly on rock steps - and even then the chassis will take most of the scrapes.
            Chris

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
              Baysies
              Prestige Offroad
              Asfir
              Avenger
              Brown Davis
              Macquarie 4x4
              Ironman

              plus there are some designs floating around that you can make up, or have made up yourself.

              4mm is best. I had the Prestige Offroad ones and they took everything I could throw at them. You should upgrade the factory mounting points which are quite weak.

              The transmission plate really isn't necessary unless you intend to bounce the belly on rock steps - and even then the chassis will take most of the scrapes.

              Thanks for the info! Do the factory mounts just need rewelding?
              2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes Motorace, the front brackets will crack and break so you can either wait until that happens, re-weld now, replace with custom HD brackets now or later.

                If you search the PB PC sub forum for;
                "Under body protection"
                "bash plate brackets"
                "ARB Bash plates"

                these are 3 threads that cover the topic in detail.
                Sorry I can not put up direct links at the moment (on laptop in Spain)

                Keep in mind that a complete set of plates including the transmission are heavy; 3mm plates about 30kg and 4mm plates about 36-38kg.

                In my opinion there is no "perfect" under-body protection plates yet!
                All Australian made and most imported plates are mild steel or stainless steel and these will bend if hit hard enough, there are some alloy plates from overseas but they are 5-6mm and still weigh 20-25 kg and are $$$.
                In a perfect world plates made from high tensile 2-2.5mm would be better as they would weigh less, flex with the chassis and take more punishment, problem is no one believes there is a market for them as they will be more expensive than mild steel plates.

                I have slightly bent all 3 of my Bushskinz plates in sand and on rocks and these are the strongest/thickest available!
                I would not go seriously off road without them and have paid for themselves many times over.

                cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Yes Motorace, the front brackets will crack and break so you can either wait until that happens, re-weld now, replace with custom HD brackets now or later.

                  If you search the PB PC sub forum for;
                  "Under body protection"
                  "bash plate brackets"
                  "ARB Bash plates"

                  these are 3 threads that cover the topic in detail.
                  Sorry I can not put up direct links at the moment (on laptop in Spain)

                  Keep in mind that a complete set of plates including the transmission are heavy; 3mm plates about 30kg and 4mm plates about 36-38kg.

                  In my opinion there is no "perfect" under-body protection plates yet!
                  All Australian made and most imported plates are mild steel or stainless steel and these will bend if hit hard enough, there are some alloy plates from overseas but they are 5-6mm and still weigh 20-25 kg and are $$$.
                  In a perfect world plates made from high tensile 2-2.5mm would be better as they would weigh less, flex with the chassis and take more punishment, problem is no one believes there is a market for them as they will be more expensive than mild steel plates.

                  I have slightly bent all 3 of my Bushskinz plates in sand and on rocks and these are the strongest/thickest available!
                  I would not go seriously off road without them and have paid for themselves many times over.

                  cheers, old Jack.
                  Thanks for the great info old Jack!
                  2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have the bushskinz underbody protection and they are awesome, i've given them a hard time and impacted hard on them etc and they're still serving me well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Another thumbs up for BushSkinz - I have all 4 on my Shorty. No problems - perfect fit

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X