Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint specs all over my front bumper

Hi guys,

So right now! Today sometime I noticed white specs all over my front bumper. There are hundreds of them, they do come off but one by one and you have to use your nail which I don't want to do.

Is there another way to get rid of these? Any ideas on how to remove?

I'm so cautious with my car, no idea how this happened. Going to loose some sleep!

Thanks
    Attached Files

Buy a clay bar kit. This will clean off the paint specs in 2 seconds flat and your paint will look and feel as good as new. It's hard to believe but they really work.
    I buy and use the Mothers branded kit. Comes with 2x clay bars, detailer spray which you use as the lubricant for rubbing the clay on the paint and also a microfiber cloth.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Looks like it could be acrylic house paint maybe? If so, methylated Spirits is the thinner for it, try some of that followed by a polish. Failing that, a clay bar as Aussie Dan suggested.
      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Looks like acrylic paint. On the black plastic and headlights it comes off quite easily. But on the front bumper and bonnet it doesn't.

Clay bar, I never thought of this option, I have never used it but I will give it a go.

I was worried to use a thinner, won't that damage the clear in the paint?

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

The metho shouldnt hurt it at all, need something stronger to get through the automotive paint. May remove the polish over the top though, hence the need to repolish the area.

Am happy to test it on my car in the morning for you and get back to you if you like.
          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

I spray painted my carport using my GU patrol as a scaffold. had 3/4 of it covered in dropsheets. Worked great until the wind changed and the bonnet and fenders were just like your bumper. I left it for while(ok, 6 months) as I had other things to do.

Anyway, I couldn't get it off. Tried clay bar, cutting compound, fingernail, even tried a green scourer with no luck. Ended up getting a car detailer to get it off. 6hrs later and $300 out of pocket, it was 95% done... Ended up selling it with remaining spots...
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              I spray painted my carport using my GU patrol as a scaffold. had 3/4 of it covered in dropsheets. Worked great until the wind changed and the bonnet and fenders were just like your bumper. I left it for while(ok, 6 months) as I had other things to do.

Anyway, I couldn't get it off. Tried clay bar, cutting compound, fingernail, even tried a green scourer with no luck. Ended up getting a car detailer to get it off. 6hrs later and $300 out of pocket, it was 95% done... Ended up selling it with remaining spots...

The paint had cured by this point, making things a whole heap harder. In turbopistons case the paint is still fresh and will come off with relative ease, so long as its taken care of soon.

If it is acrylic house paint then you have a bit of time as it takes about 4 weeks to fully cure. The sooner the better though.
              Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

Well I tried a few things today.

Bug and tar remover
                Wax and Polish
                Eucalyptus oil

None worked but the trusty nail.

tomorrow will try the mineral turp.

Comment

Try methylated spirits not mineral turpentine, acrylic house paints will be dissolved with metho relative easily.
                  MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Silver, Under bonnet Dual Battery, Projecta 150 isolator, Fridgemate 70lt fridge/freezer, Hayman Reece towbar, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rhino rack pioneer platform,

Comment

Originally posted by turbopiston View Post
                    Well I tried a few things today.

Bug and tar remover
                    Wax and Polish
                    Eucalyptus oil

None worked but the trusty nail.

tomorrow will try the mineral turp.
                    Euco oil could stain the paint, make sure you get it all off.

Turps is for oil based paints ie enamels. Wont do a thing is its water based acrylic, you need metho.

Good luck.
                    Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

Prepsol or white-spirits should soften the spots (& possibly remove them) without affecting the paint-finish.
                      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Try, WD40, yes I did say WD40 and a soft rag

Let me know how it goes

Reg Joe

Comment

Whatever solvent you try, test a small obscure area on your paintwork to make sure it does not cause further damage.
                          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

I will try the metho tonight and get the clay bar tomorrow night.

Let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

NFT5 might care to chime in here - he's in the paint business . . . . . .
                              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X