Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF Sensor Dirty Build Up - Before and After

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a photo of the crud that I found built up on my MAF sensor.

Saw over on the newtriton forums that many members were finding MAF sensors quite dirty, so I decided to pull mine out and have a look (1 minute job). Turns out the upstream (filter) side was covered in a build up of black/brown crud (I'm running factory paper filters). I cleaned it off with CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and put it back in.

My vehicle has only done 35,000kms, and was only in for a service 2 months ago, so looks like it doesn't get inspected as part of Mitsubishi scheduled servicing.

Not sure if it's going to make much difference, but I had found my vehicle blowing a little more smoke recently, which is what prompted me to look for some answers. Will keep an eye on it now and see if things change at all.

I think the photos are pretty good evidence that it's probably worth adding this to your regular DIY inspections/servicing. Takes <5mins to remove, clean and reinstall.

Be interested to hear what others find.

Cheers,

Drof
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drof; 30-11-13, 05:52 PM. Reason: add photos

drof

"where", and "how to" removed might make your thread a little more informative

reg S&F

Comment

Mine was cleaned under warranty after excessive black smoke emission, made a lot of difference including to general performance. Certainly something to keep in mind for DIY attention.
      Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ShortandFat View Post
        "where", and "how to" removed might make your thread a little more informative

reg S&F
        MAF Sensor is located just downstream (a few inches) of the airfilter box. The sensor sits in the induction piping between the filter and the turbo. It's easily identified, as it has an electrical plug (5 wires from memory) attached to the top. The sensor can be removed by undoing the 2 Philips head screws and simplying pulling the sensor assembly out -there's no need to undo the sensor connector.

WARNING - do not drop anything in the open hole when the sensor is out (inlcuding sand, dirt etc) as this all downstream of the filter!

Simply spray the hot wire assembly (little probe with 2 wires and a small knob on the end) with the MAF cleaner. You must use MAF cleaner, not degreaser, or any other solvent. Follow instruction on the can and DO NOT touch the hot wire with the cleaner can/tube, fingers, screwdriver etc.

Whole job takes under 5 minutes. Can of cleaner can be found at Repco etc for around $20. I'd imagine you'd get several (5?) cleans out of one can.

Drof

Comment

I do this once a month, but I didn't know about this thing.

I remove the inter cooler pipe on the inlet side and hit it with carby/MAF cleaner.
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

After 16K mine was looking the same as the after pic , but give it a good squirt anyway. Local Repco wanted $23.99 minus my NRMA discount , but as is usual with Repco they did not have any in stock, so bought it from Supercheap for $24.99.
            White 2012, Automatic base model, full alloy front Bar , bonnet protect, headlight protect, rear park sensors, rear dust deflector , 3 tonne tow bar, window tint, floor mats, alloy spare wheel. Tow a 2 tonne poptop caravan with HR load levellers .

Comment

You may find that there is also a sensor up inside the tube-like structure that must be cleaned (most likely this is the mass airflow sensor).
              The bulb shaped item that we see exposed in the picture would be a temperature sensor.
              It's important for both sensors to be clean - so the ECU can work out the correct air/fuel mix.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Kingbrown… "Most likely" or is? :-)
                2012 LS Manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, King Springs and Bilstein Shocks, Kumho AT51's 265/70/17, Narva Ultima 225's, Factory Tow Bar, Tint, Rola Aero Bar and Rolla roof Basket.

Comment

Yep......its the thin wires down the tube you need to clean, as Kingbrown says the bulb shape is just the temp sensor
                  2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

How do you do those thin wires? Hit it direct with the MAF cleaner? Is there a way to take them out first?
                    2012 LS Manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, King Springs and Bilstein Shocks, Kumho AT51's 265/70/17, Narva Ultima 225's, Factory Tow Bar, Tint, Rola Aero Bar and Rolla roof Basket.

Comment

Just did mine after 12 months of owning the vehicle, fair bit of build up on the wires. I am doing a 500 kms round trip on Thursady will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

Trisome
                      2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

Just worked out how to put pictures up, here are the before and after.

Trisome
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Trisome; 10-12-13, 01:53 PM.
                        2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rc...86744383158771

Hopefully this link works
                          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

Did the 500 km round trip today after cleaning the MAF sensor the other day, different 4x4, smoother, more power, and 9.5 l/100kms, same mileage I got driving it back from Melbourne to Brisbane when it was first bought, well worth the 10 minutes it took to clean it.

flat tire, when I diverted to look at an out of the way campsite, can't blame that on the MAF............

If you are a do it yourself mechanic like me, it would probably be worth doing it every service.

Trisome

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X