Viscous fan can you check yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous fan can you check yours

My Viscous Fan seems to be on a lot and roars like hell taking off from stand still and stays on a lot my temp is always between 88 94 most times and seem to be on a lot around 88 deg this normal operation spoke to dealer said nothing wrong with it had many other cars never this loud and on so often

Ben

Only time mine makes a similar roar is when the Air Con is switched on .
    White 2012, Automatic base model, full alloy front Bar , bonnet protect, headlight protect, rear park sensors, rear dust deflector , 3 tonne tow bar, window tint, floor mats, alloy spare wheel. Tow a 2 tonne poptop caravan with HR load levellers .

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleman View Post
      My Viscous Fan seems to be on a lot and roars like hell taking off from stand still and stays on a lot my temp is always between 88 94 most times and seem to be on a lot around 88 deg this normal operation spoke to dealer said nothing wrong with it had many other cars never this loud and on so often

Ben
      Hi Ben,

How are you measuring coolant temp?
      My Challenger always sits on 94 -97C as read on my Scangauge II.
      Diesels always run hotter than petrol engines, factory specs are the thermostat starts to open at 82C and fully open at 95C.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Hi Ben,

Mine is the same. It is loud and unless it is really cool out it comes on every time I take off from a standing start. Dealer says it is normal, can become annoying at times though.
        2011 PB LS Auto in Ironbark, Reverse Sensors, Dueler 694LT, BushSkinz bash plates, factory towbar. Ultimate Suspension lift.

Comment

Listen to a Great Wall if you want something really loud...
          Dave
          2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17

Comment

The only thing to ever go wrong with my Challenger in 3 1/2 yrs was the viscous fan ... approx. 2010... a few mths after buying it..

Seemed to be on nearly all the time....dealer agreed....replaced without a problem..

How did they test it ?.......with the engine running....mech grabbed a rag and tried to stop the fan with his bare hands......couldn't stall it, so deemed the viscous hub was not slipping.....new one ordered......certainly gamer than me !!

Comment

Originally posted by greig View Post
              The only thing to ever go wrong with my Challenger in 3 1/2 yrs was the viscous fan ... approx. 2010... a few mths after buying it..

Seemed to be on nearly all the time....dealer agreed....replaced without a problem..

How did they test it ?.......with the engine running....mech grabbed a rag and tried to stop the fan with his bare hands......couldn't stall it, so deemed the viscous hub was not slipping.....new one ordered......certainly gamer than me !!
              Dam what dealer is that, i need to take the bus to him to have a look at my fan.
              I also mentioned it to the dealer at last service however he sed that is was ok. But it is always locked on when the car heats up with the AC running and never seems to drop out.

Comment

That's exactly like mine seems locked far to long worse with air con on and it really drains power you feel it turning and powering out

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleman View Post
                  That's exactly like mine seems locked far to long worse with air con on and it really drains power you feel it turning and powering out
                  Even worse......it sounds like an old Patrol when its locked on....very agricultural sounding.....and when you get a normal one, it sounds like you're driving a car again..

Mine will still come on occasionally......mainly on hot days....and sometimes when you'd think it shouldn't.....like on the freeway....but as soon as the viscous hub detects heat, I suppose it doesn't matter where it is..

Comment

Yes I have it running quite a lot even on the freeway but only at around 30+deg c, which I find a little weird considering the huge air being shoved into the front at 100km/h, but engine temp always remains the same, which is the important thing I guess, what are peoples experiences at 40plus deg? Today for example? Any Challengers overheating?
                    Cheers, Stubby day today!
                    2012 LS Charcoal Auto Tint Nudge, BFG AT TA. Ugly Mitsu Tow Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris4x4 View Post
                      what are peoples experiences at 40plus deg? Today for example? Any Challengers overheating?
                      Cheers, Stubby day today!
                      The hottest I have seen is 42 Deg. The fan was cutting in and out at 110klm/h. The gauge was a little higher than normal but no hint of overheating.

My fan will engage at start up on a normal day. It free spins after about 2 minutes. Even in traffic it will engage for a minute or two when sitting at the lights, just like any vehicles would or should.
                      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                        The hottest I have seen is 42 Deg. The fan was cutting in and out at 110klm/h. The gauge was a little higher than normal but no hint of overheating.

I've found the scangauge will show approx. 106 deg when the factory gauge will start moving...and by approx. 110 it will have moved nearly up to the red !!!

So, not a lot of room for error once it starts to move....hence why I like to keep an eye on it after the temp goes above 100 deg..

Comment

Originally posted by greig View Post
                          I've found the scangauge will show approx. 106 deg when the factory gauge will start moving...and by approx. 110 it will have moved nearly up to the red !!!.
                          This is why I don't look at the scangauge much. Just gets you worried about something that "could" happen, even if it won't. In any case keep the cooling system in good condition and all should be OK.
                          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

At 2 1/2 bars which is half on the gauge my Scangauge reads 95C and at 3 bars 100C so based on that I am guessing 4 bars is 110C and 5 bars/start of red H is 120C.

Hottest I have every seen is 4 bars, climbing up a long steep hill, fully loaded, AC on flat out, at 110kph and the outside air temp was 48C on the dash gauge.

I recently did some calculations on coolant boiling point based on system pressure and factory glycol ratio and I recall boiling point was 125C so this lines up with the gauge increments.

cheers, old Jack.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

outside air temp was 48C

Bloody hell!!! Chall cooling system not too bad then. Seems able to cope with Aus outback heat
                              2012 LS Charcoal Auto Tint Nudge, BFG AT TA. Ugly Mitsu Tow Bar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X