Traction control problems anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction control problems anyone?

We have 2010 Challenger which has done less than 30k km. we have now had several incidents where the car has almost completely lost power inexplicably. On all occasions, this has been accompanied by a madly blinking traction control light. On one occasion on a damp road it caused me to almost completely lose control of the car. Yesterday my wife suddenly lost power on a main road in dry conditions. And, yes, we can drive :-). In 25 years of driving I've never seen anything like it. Has anyone else experienced this? Im getting it looked at as soon as I can.

Only once so far on a dry road. I think you will need to make a trip to the service dudes. You know that it wont do it while its there and it will be a real pain in the arse I think.
    MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

Happens in the Pajero too if you are a little too 'enthusiastic' with your driving style.
      It's not the traction control killing off the power though, it is the stability control system.
      I've pulled out into traffic briskly before and with only a small amount of wheel spin, the stability control cut power and I was left hanging in limbo. Not a great situation when you have cars all around you doing the speed limit.
      However, running in 4H (Constant 4WD, center diff NOT locked) on the bitumen pretty much solves this issue by providing bucket loads more grip.
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Agree with Dan, your issue is unlikely to be Traction Control, when this activates you can hear and feel the system working and it needs to be working for some time before engine power is cut.

Activation of Traction Control and Stability Control are independent of each other but in some instances both could activate at the same time. Stability Control can be turned off via the dash switch but Traction Control is always turned on except when the Rear Diff Lock is engaged.

When Stability Control activates you can not hear or feel the application of the brakes like you can with the activation of Traction Control and when Stability Control activates engine power is cut very quickly.

I believe you are experiencing over-active Stability Control, this can be caused by the steering sensor neutral position being incorrect and or the G-Yaw sensor being out of calibration, recalibration has to be done with the MUT III connected. If there is a faulty sensor in the system or communication error, then the ASTC light and the Check Engine light will come "ON" and stay "ON" until the ASTC ECU has had the fault rectified and the fault code cleared (61 possible codes).

If it is annoying you then ASC can be turned off manually each time you start the car or at speeds below 40kph. Doing this will also prove the problem is in the Stability Control system.

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Happens to me all the time ever since the first day I picked the car up, particularly in the wet. Put your foot down, lose traction at the rear wheels a tad and the power is just cut, lights flash on the dash. I just assumed the traction control was pretty crude. I adjusted my driving style, certainly can't assume the power is going to be there if you want to pick a gap in the traffic. Also put it in AWD mode as soon as it rains.
          Challenger LS Manual 2011 MY12 - with some bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by perrys View Post
            Happens to me all the time ever since the first day I picked the car up, particularly in the wet. Put your foot down, lose traction at the rear wheels a tad and the power is just cut, lights flash on the dash. I just assumed the traction control was pretty crude. I adjusted my driving style, certainly can't assume the power is going to be there if you want to pick a gap in the traffic. Also put it in AWD mode as soon as it rains.
            Does this happen when the steering wheel is centred (pointed straight ahead) or only when the steering wheel is turned?

cheers, old Jack.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Does this happen when the steering wheel is centred (pointed straight ahead) or only when the steering wheel is turned?

cheers, old Jack.
              To tell you the truth Old Jack I could not say for sure. It certainly happens on roundabouts in the wet - happened to me tonight. Happens pulling out into traffic turning left but whether it happens when I am just going straight, I will have to do some research (though not tonight as I enjoyed a couple of beers with dinner ).

Comment

Upon a bit of testing this morning on wet roads, the sudden loss of power seems to only occur when you lose traction and the steering wheel is turned a bit, you can spin the rear wheels going straight and the traction control comes on but it does not kill the power output as suddenly as when you have a bit of turn on the wheel. Looks like it is an overactive stability control. Have to get another issue looked at so might get the dealer to check this as well.

Thanks to original poster for bringing up the issue as I thought it was just normal when in fact I might be able to get it fixed.

Comment

It's almost definitely the stability control. I routinely turn it off now when I come up to a "T" junction because you just can't be sure when it will activate if you are trying to blend into a gap in the traffic. I thought someone said once it turns back on over 80kph but I'm not sure if that is correct as I have seen mine stay off. Traction control on the other hand is almost the opposite. I've had the back end hanging right out on the same "T" junction when the highway is wet and trucks have left mud and there was no sign of the traction control kicking in.

Comment

ASC selectable off up to 40kph and automatically switches on at 120kph or when ignition is turned off and back on again.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

There are multiple threads in the Gen 4 pajero area on this. Sounds like it is the same problem.
                      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Update

After having a sensor replaced (despite me being told there was no problem!)at the 30k service, the problem has returned. On a straight, slightly uphill stretch last week the car lost power completely in the damp for about 10s. My wife had it happen when she was pulling out of a parking space a couple of days later. It's very unnerving, its only through good luck that it hasn't caused an accident or near miss as yet. Looks like another trip to see Mitsubishi...

Comment

This might be a trap for new players and has been mentioned in here before. The Challenger will not accelerate if you have the brake on or even partly on, something to do with electronic accelerator it happens to me sometimes when I ride the brake into a roundabout, it can make things a bit hairy when you go to accelerate and you get no response from the motor and there is another vehicle bearing down on you. The solution is don't ride the brake
                          PB MY12 LS Challenger, Auto, White.
                          Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, NudgeBar, BushSkinz Bash Plates, HID High Beam Kit, 28" LED Light Bar, Oricom UHF280, Maxxis 980 A/T, Lovells CRR-69 Springs, SPV EGR Mk3.1

Comment

Hi easy,
                            You will need to log all the times and what you were doing when the loss of power occurred,write a letter to mits customer service and make sure a case is logged as you need this issue to be rectified as you believe it to be a safety issue. When your car is in for a service, remind them that you still have an outstanding safety concern yet to be rectified.
                            Check for oil around the turbo as it could be losing pressure(do you get some surging under light acceleration?),
                            Could also be a fault in the brake pedal switch,
                            Do you have flashing of the ASC dash light when you lose power?
                            Most of all make sure your issue is known to Mitsubishi Australia not just the dealer!!

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Barney - good advice. Yes, the ASC light flashes like crazy. In response to other posts about riding the brake, this was the advice I was originally given and I am certain that this isn't a factor. I've tried deliberately riding the brake to try to recreate the condition without success. Of the 4 times I've witness it happen, it has been under completely different conditions each time. Sometimes in the dry, sometimes in the wet, sometimes on a bend, sometimes on a straight, etc etc. It's booked in again for next week so I'll see what they say....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X