Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock through steering column

Hi All,

My MY12 with 48000km on the clock has in the past few weeks developed an ever so slight knock that can be felt in the steering wheel, as if it is coming up through the column from the suspension. Going over bumps, braking and turning. I think it is slightly worse when I am actually turning. It seems to be getting slowly worse. I am going to get it looked at but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I did a quick search but could not find any previous posts.
    Challenger LS Manual 2011 MY12 - with some bits and pieces

Mines been doing it for ages...seems worse since the Ultimate susp went in ( maybe caused by being stiffer )..

Comment

Mitsubishi Hotline fix ML37-002 - An abnormal noise (knocking) occurs in steering column area on rough surface or when turning left to right or right to left.

Comment

Originally posted by cheesy View Post
        Mitsubishi Hotline fix ML37-002 - An abnormal noise (knocking) occurs in steering column area on rough surface or when turning left to right or right to left.
        And what does that mean ??...do they have a fix for it ?? what causes the knock ??

Comment

They put glue in around the collapsible mechanism in the steering column.
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

Any luck in getting this done free by mitsubishi?
            1997 NL 3.5 litre automatic GLS with luxury pack, dual airbags, ABS brakes, Dual Fuel (LPG)

Comment

Mine was fixed under warranty way back in 2013, not sure how you would go now if the car is out of warranty
              Challenger LS Manual 2011 MY12 - with some bits and pieces

Comment

Check the bolts for the upper and lower control arms. Possibly a bit of movement. Mine did and had the knocking you describe.
                2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

Reviving this thread.

I have a PC challenger manual with 60k on the clock.

Last year i started to have the problem described above, knock in steering wheel, especially at low speed when turning. For example in car park or when backing up in driveway.

Got the car to local dealer and after 5 visits and going for ride with head mechanics, steering column was replaced under warranty.

Now problem is coming back.
                  Was really bad when offroad driving in Canunda NP.
                  Brought the car 3 times to dealer and each time they tightened the suspension... bolts and situation improves but is not go away.
                  Another ride with head mechanics to demonstrate problem again last week.
                  During test drive, mechanics told me another owner had similar issue with his car.
                  I left the car 3 days with them and they can't find the issue.

I am getting frustrated with this and the behaviour of my local dealer does not help. Very patronising....
                  I was advised to visit another dealership to get it looked at!!!!!
                  Also told that old 4x4 make noises and it is normal!!!!

Anyhow i asked them what the process to escalate was as i can't get this fixed and can't get an answer apart from "go somewhere else" and want to start to put some accessories on.

So questions:
                  Does anyone else experience this issue?
                  What are my legal right to escalate this issue?
                  What could it be?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

G
                  PC challenger, almost virgin......

Comment

Do people experiencing this issue have aftermarket bash plates? My mechanic told me it was actually common in 4wd with some bash plates that have a lot of bolts and really rigid because they can't flex with chassis and they start to crack welds and/or wiggle bolts lose such as the upper control arm bushes.
                    2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

Steering knock

Hi, assuming the steering setup is the same as my 2014 Triton, I had a similar steering knock that was fixed by Mitsubishi under warranty. The cause was I think the small uni joints on the steering column. I got the impression from them that it was not that uncommon
                      Again assuming the steering is the same. Hope this helps John
                      2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

Quinno: No bash plate for me, apart form the OEM one.

Travel Tragic: Do you know what they did to fix your Triton?

Any other with similar issues?

G

Comment

Originally posted by Guigui13 View Post
                          Reviving this thread.

I have a PC challenger manual with 60k on the clock.

Last year i started to have the problem described above, knock in steering wheel, especially at low speed when turning. For example in car park or when backing up in driveway.

Got the car to local dealer and after 5 visits and going for ride with head mechanics, steering column was replaced under warranty.

Now problem is coming back.
                          Was really bad when offroad driving in Canunda NP.
                          Brought the car 3 times to dealer and each time they tightened the suspension... bolts and situation improves but is not go away.
                          Another ride with head mechanics to demonstrate problem again last week.
                          During test drive, mechanics told me another owner had similar issue with his car.
                          I left the car 3 days with them and they can't find the issue.

I am getting frustrated with this and the behaviour of my local dealer does not help. Very patronising....
                          I was advised to visit another dealership to get it looked at!!!!!
                          Also told that old 4x4 make noises and it is normal!!!!

Anyhow i asked them what the process to escalate was as i can't get this fixed and can't get an answer apart from "go somewhere else" and want to start to put some accessories on.

So questions:
                          Does anyone else experience this issue?
                          What are my legal right to escalate this issue?
                          What could it be?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

G
                          Its the movement between the body and chassis as the steering column is bolted to body and st box is bolted to chassis , on turning slowly over a bump the body moves slightly on the rubber mounts ,so the sliding spline on the st shaft is supposed to slide , but if you have turning hard the spine if dry locks up ,it feels like a rattle coming up the column, we used to oil this spline at the dealership i worked at .

Comment

Hi Davey1
                            Thanks for this explanation.

Two questions:
                            1) could you explain a bit more where to lube so i can give it a shot to see if it is imrpoving things?
                            2) it sounds like most the PC Challenger should have this problem but not many people seem to have the problem. Is my Challenger different to others?

Thanks for ur help
                            G

Comment

Steering Knock

Hi, from memory they said!!! they replaced the steering shaft with uni joints attached. I think they did the job at the 15,000 km service. (No off road and pretty early in it's life) John
                              2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X