Digital "Range" display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital "Range" display

Just a question for you guys who have had the challenger for a while, how accurate is the digital range to empty display?

My fuel light comes on with about 80kms to go according to the digital range display, but my fuel gauge reads empty while the digital display still reads about 60kms to go.

How far is safe to push it too?
    MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Silver, Under bonnet Dual Battery, Projecta 150 isolator, Fridgemate 70lt fridge/freezer, Hayman Reece towbar, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rhino rack pioneer platform,

I'm interested to see what people report here.

I had a Commodore wagon (work car) that travelled something like 30km past zero on the range gauge, then put 69 litres into a 72 litre tank.

My Golf has a non-linear fuel gauge - I get about 60% of my range from the first half on the gauge, then (when the "refill" nuisance lights up) the distance to empty plummets faster than I cover distance i.e. it will tell me I have 90km to empty when it first lights up, which can come down to 10km to empty after 40-50km.

I've never run it to zero, much less empty, so I don't know how much is really left - I think the most I've ever added is 52 litres to a 55 litre tank.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I am very curious too.

When taking off in the morning, it will read 26l to the 100km. Then I have it reset it and it will flutter around 11-13l to the 100km.

But, I have since fitted a Rhino roof rack basket without the sides. It has since jumped up around 16-18l to the 100km.
      MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

I have a 2011 PB and when the Range reads zero is around the time I fill up.
        Based on this though I have never put more than 62L into it.
        I believe the range to be a very rough guide at best.

Mark

Comment

I hate these low fuel warning lights . One of the first things i do when I purchase a new car is I take 10L of fuel in a gerry can with me in the boot and run the car dry then take note of my odometer. My Forester would read 80k till empty then when on "O" to empty I could still get another 80K
          So know I just drive to the odometer not the warning light

Comment

All I can say is WOW! Why would you let your tank get that low!
            Why would you gamble on the fact you may have xx km before empty, maybe I'm just old school but I am horrified if my light comes on and I rarely let my tank get to 1/4 full.

Comment

The whole range/economy gauge is far from accurate. Once the distance to empty calculates below I think 40km for one thing it shuts down and doesn't read any lower. Our fuel light comes on around that 50/40 mark and at that time the needle is just off the empty line. Pretty much always fill up around this stage and refill is around the 60-65l mark. Not sure what the tank holds.

I would not be running a modern common rail diesel dry just to test the ultimate range and I would not be pushing the envelope too often. Common rail fuel pumps like running dry even less than old school diesel pumps.

Comment

Low Fuel light comes on when there is approximately 8 litres left in the tank, I believe the "Range to Empty" is calculated on the running 4 minute average of the "instantaneous" fuel consumption, so depending on how hard you are driving the range to empty will and does change. The display on my PB 2011 does not show below 50km, it goes straight to zero. I have run out of fuel, after 90km with the light "ON", on the way to Coober Pedy (I did not fill-up at Glendambo) from Pt. Augusta 540km , ran out 5 km short of CP, due to the car going into limp mode and fuel consumption went through the roof. We put 10 litres in, primed the under bonnet filter until the plunger was rock hard, started first time, idled for a few minutes and off we went, no issues.

Modern CRD engines should not be run on low fuel levels on a regular basis as the fuel gets very hot (this can cause component damage) and if the outside temperature is also hot the fuel can not cool down. The Engine ECU measures fuel temp and adjusts the fuel management system to compensate so fuel usage can increase and performance drop off.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Cheers old jack, I was waiting for your detailed answer
                  MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Silver, Under bonnet Dual Battery, Projecta 150 isolator, Fridgemate 70lt fridge/freezer, Hayman Reece towbar, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rhino rack pioneer platform,

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    I believe the "Range to Empty" is calculated on the running 4 minute average of the "instantaneous" fuel consumption, so depending on how hard you are driving the range to empty will and does change.
                    In the late '90s I flew to Cairns for work. Picked up a Statesman V6 hire car, fuel computer said 600km to empty. I drove up the Gillies to Atherton (enjoying the drive, responsibly... ), where my distance to empty was 480km. After Atherton, it was down the Palmerston Highway to Innisfail, where distance to empty was back to 600km.

I don't remember what happened when I got back to Cairns - I wasn't paying the bills, so I didn't care.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X