Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 PC Touch Screen and GPS

Hi All
    Will be picking up my new unit this week, and am chasing up any info on the touch screen console for the radio, phone etc. Cannot find a link anywhere yet to a user guide. What I want to find out is whether I can incorporate a GPS display / program like iGO or TomTom into this unit. To do this, then the console would need to have Android or Windows CE system. Also wondering if it has additional AV input jacks for a 2nd wireless camera for the caravan reversing camera. The only things I know that the display controls at present is radio, CD, bluetooth devices. Any info appreciated.
    MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

I have the 2010 PB XLS which is probably different to the new one in the PC.

Mine does have an aux AV input that could be set up for a rear view camera on the van but the problem with using that port is that you will loose the radio/sound function.

I did look at setting this up and the best way I could find to do it was to set it up as a second reversing camera and use switching to trick the head unit to think that reverse gear had been selected. This will leave the radio functioning while the rear view is displayed.

Never did finally wire the camera to the van but see no reason why it would not have worked.

My unit does not run Android or Windows CE so you are stuck with their mapping system - maps are 2008.

Hopefully the new D-Max will have more up to date maps.

Comment

Thanks Bobkat. Should have said that I am getting the base 4wd PC and not the LS model. I don't think the base unit has a GPS function in the console, but will find out when I pick it up. Tks for the advise re AV input. That ties in with my understanding, but one major problem that I see is that the 2014 model comes fitted with standard rear view camera, so somehow I would need to be able to switch to a split screen, or toggle between the 2 cameras as required.
      MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

Hi robdavo

I've got a new PC base model it doesn't have gps.
        MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Silver, Under bonnet Dual Battery, Projecta 150 isolator, Fridgemate 70lt fridge/freezer, Hayman Reece towbar, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rhino rack pioneer platform,

Comment

Is the standard reverse camera image on the head unit or on the rear vision mirror? I know that the NW paj's (at least some...) run with the reverse camera display on the lcd of the rear vision mirror.

At least if you hook up an aftermarket head unit with the camera input, all you would need to do to get the other camera to work (if the 1st is in the rear view mirror) would be put a switched power supply to the 'reverse' trigger wire of the head unit?

Not sure if your keen to be ripping out the factory radio straight away or just trying to adapt with what the factory supplies.

Failing all of that, I think there are gps units that have a camera input function available on the market these days.

Comment

Standard reversing camera is integrated into the console unit. In my old 4bee, I had a 7" GPS with wireless camera input, and I aligned that camera to the towball for easy alignment hookup. Until I get my new PC (and fit Reese Hitch) I assume that the rear view will be a broader view, and not specifically to the towbar. I don't want to really change that. If I cannot install GPS software into the factory console, then I will continue to use my external GPS with reversing camera/s which I can select between one on the back of the van, and one aligned to the towbar hookup.

Comment

The standard camera in our 2012 is a broad rear view but it does also pick up the towbar tongue..

Comment

Originally posted by robdavo View Post
                Hi All
                Will be picking up my new unit this week, and am chasing up any info on the touch screen console for the radio, phone etc. Cannot find a link anywhere yet to a user guide. What I want to find out is whether I can incorporate a GPS display / program like iGO or TomTom into this unit. To do this, then the console would need to have Android or Windows CE system. Also wondering if it has additional AV input jacks for a 2nd wireless camera for the caravan reversing camera. The only things I know that the display controls at present is radio, CD, bluetooth devices. Any info appreciated.
                How did you go, robdavo?
                The challenger and triton are similar are they not? I am trying to find some info on reversing camreas and maybe head units
                Peter
                "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by auskenny View Post
                  Hi robdavo

I've got a new PC base model it doesn't have gps.
                  Yep no nav in the poverty pack. One of the guys here has replaced the whole display with an aftermarket one with excellent results.

MBP
                  2013 MY14 PC Challenger Auto in Black: TJM Outback Steel Bullbar: TJM Bash plates: Tough Dog Springs FR + RR: Tough Dog Big Bore Adjustable Shocks FR +RR: Narva Ultima Blue 225 Spots: Dual battery system Intervolt: General Grabber 265/75/16 AT2's:

Comment

Still waiting to have my Reece towbar fitted (now on Friday 17/1) so I will see how things go re the reversing camera picking up the towbar to help align to van. As for the GPS, decided to just use iGO in my Galaxy S4 phone for now. Fitted some LED running lights the other night, and still to track down an easy point under the bonnet for ignition on power to run them. Temporarily tapped into the fuse box, but after a neater solution. Also partly fitted a Tekonsha brake controller, but waiting on the towbar to finalize wiring. Incidentally, found some good info on these forums re the standard wiring looms already wired in the PC, but still trying to locate an easy place to tap into the brake switch. There is a socket inside the rear jack/tools compartment where I think they connect the trailer connector, so I just need to track it back to the front of the vehicle. Only had a quick look sofar, and couldn't find the wire (Blue/Orange). Also ordered a TRAXIDE SC80-CB isolator to install for proposed aux battery (possibly under bonnet or in rear cargo area) and will be wiring this via Anderson plug for van battery.
                    Would appreciate any info you guys may have on wiring, especially on the various "spare" sockets throughout the vehicle that are for accessories. Can't find any wiring schematics available on line yet. Will post any relevant details I come across re wiring in brake controller etc.

Last edited by robdavo; 17-01-14, 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed photo link

Comment

Originally posted by NJ94 View Post
                      How did you go, robdavo?
                      The challenger and triton are similar are they not? I am trying to find some info on reversing camreas and maybe head units
                      Peter
                      Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Only had the towbar fitted 17/1, and not yet had a chance to hook van up (probably will on Sunday). I can see the towball in the standard rear view camera, albeit not clearly, but will have to wait until I actually try to align the van to see how clear and accurate it all is. Still haven't pursued integrating the GPS into the standard display, but using iGO and Ozi on my Galaxy S4 phone works well, with the audio being routed through the system speakers via bluetooth. For full outback use, I can still use my 7" GPS, or 8" tablet.
                      Notice that some members have ditched the factory head unit and installed aftermarket 7" multi media units (GPS, audio, CD/DVD etc) with generally good success.

Comment

Just an update after having the HR towbar fitted.
                        Standard rear view camera works a treat in hooking up van, with a good clear picture of both the ball and van hitch.
                        See attached photos showing the van connected, and notice that the rear sags a bit (40-50mm) when connected. Guess some poly airs may be needed until an upgrade in suspension is needed.

Also fitted weather shields to all doors, and LED running lights.

Took off for the Labour Day weekend up to Howqua for some 4wding. Car had just had 1st service (1100km) so took it a bit easy towing up the Melba Hwy. Also have to get used to an auto, but everything appeared to go well. Averaged 13.5l/100Km towing to Mansfield, so quite happy with that. Gave the PC a good workout off road, and find the paddle shifters excellent off road. Hung her up on a jump-up, and needed to lock the rear diff to get off, but got home again without any damage. Now about to fit the dual battery in behind the rear wheel, so will post some photos when that's all finished. Also just posted photos of my drawer unit and fridge setup in a thread just started on that subject.

Comment

Nice pics and thanks for the update. Could I ask where did you grab the weather shields from?
                          Titanium MY14 Challenger Auto, MM Steel bullbar, MM tow kit, MM foglights, MM carpet mats.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowarrior View Post
                            Nice pics and thanks for the update. Could I ask where did you grab the weather shields from?
                            Shields off ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...item338a09a6a2
                            There are a few suppliers showing them now, but >$72 delivered sure beats Mitsu's prices.

Comment

It doesn't look like you go offroad much, so some airbags in the rear will be fine...I prefer coil rites over polyairs..

Interesting looking van as well......have you any more pics and information on it ??

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X