Roof racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof racks

Looking at alternatives to my current roof rack setup.

I currently have have the heavy duty Rhino cross bars and the mesh base bolted down. It fits in the garage, but, Christ it is noisy and you can see the fuel gauge working overtime.

The other option is replacing with their new series where they use alloy planks held together by plastic. The feet are attached to alloy cross bars, but the cross bars are attached using pop rivets.

I have attached a picture of the second option. I am a big fan of the current set up of cross bars ant the mesh rack, just not the noise or additional fuel economy.
    Attached Files
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Hi Rob,
    I have fitted a Wincheater rack 1320mm long x 1165mm wide with 6 grab-feet and no spacers to OE rails. Difficult to fit due to grab-feet require access from underside to insert and tighten bolts, needed a 1/4 drive 10mm socket held in a pair of small vise grips (can not use a ring spanner or a normal ratchet due to lack of clearance) or a slimline flex handle 1/4 drive ratchet (Snap-On), piece of cardboard to protect roof, lots of dexterity and patience. Am I happy with it ? Yes, considering the cost $900! I was going to build a custom alloy rack myself but it was going to cost more by the time I brought components, alloy extrusion and paid for welding. Rack only carries 4 x Maxtrax's, spare tyre (no rim), 2 x camp chairs, tent canvas & groundsheets and a shovel, to keep to my 60kg self imposed total limit including the 12kg rack.
    I have had no issues, the rack has been used loaded as above for about 25,000km and about half is off road.

There are these threads;
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...etah+roof+rack
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...of+rack&page=4

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I am also a fan of the basket setup. At highway speed with the heavy duty rhino bars the noise would drown out the MTZ tyres. I have since changed to the Pro Rack Wisp bars. There is a large difference in the noise level. Now the tyres are the main noise, but I can live with that. The fact that my Challenger is not a daily drive helps.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Some more photos of the Windcheater rack

Side view, roof narrows at rear so you are limited how wide a rack you can fit.

Front set back, rear is the same distance.

Rear "Quick Fist" with locator bolt that goes through the steel ferrule of the shovel blade to stop it from rotating.

Forward "Quick Fist" grip for shovel handle.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I just picked up a rhino xtray in the large size. The wind noise with this tray is next to nothing and I have it fitted with genuine mm cross bars. However i am thinking about changing to something along the lines of the prorack whispbars to keep it lower, making access to the many underground carparks in my area a little easier. The rack itself seems sturdy and is very light for its size.
          NOW : 2012 JKU WRANGLER

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Comment

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Comment

Hello old jack I was just wondering where you got your rack from, I like the racks you have and I live in Adelaide and would like to take a closer look at them, I am a bit restricted for height under my carport and think this might be a better option. What did they cost? Cheers gary
              2013 my14 challenger. Titanium 5speed manual. Cooper AT3's. mitsi nudge bar, lightforce blitz spotlights,TJM snorkel,awning. Roof bars

Comment

I have the 1800 rhino platform and rate it for noise but it has added some drag so I pay for it at the bowser. Very easy to fit accessories such as shovel holder, awning, fuel and tyre carriers etc. it is also light so I hang it from the garage ceiling when not in use (just above the car so easy to put back on ha ha). I have some pics somewhere....
                2010 LS 7 Seater. 2" Ultimate upgrade. TJM winch bar & bash plates. TJM dual battery & Airtec snorkel. K&N airfilter. Mitsubishi roof racks with Tigerz11 3.0x2.5 awning. Uniden 7760 CB.

Comment

hi old Jack,

Hope this isn't going off topic or hijacking the thread,

Given the difficulty in putting the windcheetah rack on I assume it is left up there permanently?

Do you notice much wind noise or an increase in fuel consumption?,
                  The rack certainly looks neat and functional.

cheers

gus
                  NW Pajero VRX, Smartbar, Bushskinz x 5, Achilles XMT muddies, MM seatcover, Rhino crossbars, Diff breathers, 3 inch exhaust, rear shelf and diy parcel shelf.

Comment

Can the basket be mounted directly to the roof rails or do you need the roof bars? Without the roof bars it would save me 2inches in height, so that could mean a 2inch lift and the overall height of the vehicle wouldn't change.
                    2013 my14 challenger. Titanium 5speed manual. Cooper AT3's. mitsi nudge bar, lightforce blitz spotlights,TJM snorkel,awning. Roof bars

Comment

Has anybody got the arb roof rack. I am interested in any thoughts you guys have or any recommendations
                      2013 Glxr Pajero
                      Arb bullbar installed, HID IPF driving lights. 1" Bilstein and Kings Springs suspension

Sold
                      2012 PB Challenger. ARB Bullbar. Uniden UHF. ARB underbody protection. Cargo Barrier. Mitsu towbar. Lightforce 170 striker driving lights.

Comment

Originally posted by garycromp View Post
                        Can the basket be mounted directly to the roof rails or do you need the roof bars? Without the roof bars it would save me 2inches in height, so that could mean a 2inch lift and the overall height of the vehicle wouldn't change.
                        Gary, if you are referring to the x tray no it has to be mounted to cross bars. But i am looking at a set of these (see below) as it will sit flush with the roof rails.

See option 1
                        http://www.whispbar.com.au/findmycar

Comment

I have the ARB rack with a full surround, but it's not yet installed due to the need to remove the roof lining

Once the honeymoon period has worn off (whenever that may be ), I'll mount the rack - only for carrying bulky stuff on extended trips.
                          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Tombo89 View Post
                            Gary, if you are referring to the x tray no it has to be mounted to cross bars. But i am looking at a set of these (see below) as it will sit flush with the roof rails.

See option 1
                            http://www.whispbar.com.au/findmycar
                            I have 3 whispbar HD cross bars on their way, just have the tech measuring to see if we can put T17 instead of T16 that are a bit longer!

Mounted on this will be a ProRack rook basket with extension...

also getting some accessories to hold bits and pieces.

The whispbar are really strong and great product would recommend to anyone. my brother runs a pair on his hilux too.
                            2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!

Comment

Originally posted by BMChallenger View Post
                              I have 3 whispbar HD cross bars on their way, just have the tech measuring to see if we can put T17 instead of T16 that are a bit longer!

Mounted on this will be a ProRack rook basket with extension...

also getting some accessories to hold bits and pieces.

The whispbar are really strong and great product would recommend to anyone. my brother runs a pair on his hilux too.
                              Thanks BM im pretty sure i will go with the whispbars. How will the HD whispbar be fitted. Is it using the flush mount which clips onto the rails and has the crossbar sitting level with them or will it mount across the top of the rails raising the overall height of the car slightly?

Any pics you could post up when you have them fitted would be really helpful in deciding what to go for.

Cheers
                              Tom

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X