NE gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NE gearbox

I realise there is a sticky telling me what boxes fit what models... but at the risk of being flamed I'm going to ask anyway. Recently had my engine rebuilt after it dropped a valve, so while I'm in the mood and the minister for war and finance hasn't chopped up the credit card, I'm looking to get the gearbox overhauled also. Nothing much wrong with it, high kms, a few leaks and it is starting to growl in all gears bar 4th. Not badly, just enough to notice. So the question is... Is it possible to bolt up the V5M21 from the gen2 with the same 2.6 engine? Is there much point, are they substantially better so as to warrant trying? I have read along the way that some have done this conversion while others say it is a no go. Just looking at options. Any gearbox rebuilder recommendations for inner Melbourne would also be appreciated.
    2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Look at doing a bearing replacment in your current gearbox. They are not rocket science and the bearings should be easily available. What I cannot remember is what the lay shaft looks like from a bearing perspective (needle rollers or full ball bearing rollers?) if you can do that then you should be sweet. Failing that make sure you use the right oil. this should be the castrol VMX-M Only use this oil in any mitsu gearbox. it was formulated for Mitsu boxes and is for tight tolerance boxes. It is a different product to Castrol VMX.

I used this in my mates Toyota 80 series with a box that was stuffed according to a gearbox rebuilder, it actually shutup the grumble and gave him a 18month extension to save to get another gearbox installed. This box didnt go bang just after 18months he had enough cash to replace it. So if push comes to shove look at rebuild or at the very least the right oil as a replacement.

Cheers

Oldn64
    95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 rebuilt running 18psi, 3" lift, 2" body lift, factory LSD maxxis bighorn MT - Club reg

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver, 2" Lift, new race prepped 3.5 v6 (high comp king race bearings, hasting race rings) ported heads & inlet. Rebuilt Auto, extra cooler.

Wifey - 2014 NW GLS White 3.2TD manual, 2" lift, 17" CSA Jackels, Maxxis Razr MT (275/70), bushskiz ubody, ARB Sahara, Smittybuilt 12000lbs Winch, dynema rope, twin batteries, GME tx4100, rear drawers

Comment

Is you current gearbox the early Paj KM145 or similar?
      If so I would be looking to upgrade to a later model, heavier 'box.

20 years or so ago when both my Dad and I both had an NB and an NC I kept a change over 'box on the shelf. Would of struggled to get 12 months out a 'box, the flaw being the main bearings had the rollers run directly on the shafts, not on removable races. Once a bearing was overly worn it damaged shaft, not much but enough to continuously wearout any new bearing prematurely.
      Only way to rectify was to replace the shaft/s (input shaft, main shaft, lay shaft), at a cost of $500 - $1500 per shaft. From memory it was going to cost about $3000+ to rebuild properly on a $5000 car. At the time was more economical to spend $300 on bearings every 12 months.

If you google V5M20 you will find numerous Paj Forum posts on which models had this gearbox and what models they can be bolted up to.
      Also Google Mitsubishi Starion gearboxes. The Starion had a turboed 2.6 Astron engine in the 'States which used to eat the KM145 based gearboxes as well. I think I recall some of the Starion enthusiasts might of determined the gearbox from a Mazda Bravo (which used a 3 valve/cyl, EFI version of the Astron) would bolt up to the older Astron, (and relevant to the Starion was available in a rear whell drive version).

I can't recall what 'box was in the MJ Triton, but our workshop had one (earthmoving field service ute) that towed a max weight trailer (generator, petrol powered welder, air compressor,......) as well as a ute load of tools for nearly 100,000km without any issues, so I've always assumed it's 'box must of been a fair bit sturdier than the early Paj 'boxes.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Originally posted by pharb View Post
        Also Google Mitsubishi Starion gearboxes. The Starion had a turboed 2.6 Astron engine in the 'States which used to eat the KM145 based gearboxes as well. I think I recall some of the Starion enthusiasts might of determined the gearbox from a Mazda Bravo (which used a 3 valve/cyl, EFI version of the Astron) would bolt up to the older Astron, (and relevant to the Starion was available in a rear whell drive version).
        Hey Pharb you are correct, However the starion here was also turbo charged but ran the wide pattern bellhousing and a higher wider case. This was the same gearbox put in the Wharetts whihc where a turbo 2.0L whihc alot of people swapped out to the 2.6. I too have run a K series box behind a turbo 3.5L v6 but in a Galant so it was alot lighter than the paj is. I know that the early 2.6 boxes ran the borg warner box which was butter and was the same boxes put behind the commodores with a 173cu motor which was even more stupid in engineering choices.

I also ran the original narrow galant box behind a 2.6L from a magna whihc was an absolute weapon (read 12.3 quarters) with evenone telling me I would blow it up (but never did because I swapped to the 5 speed from a ge 2L sigma. Essentially the internals are the same and can be swapped. Truth be know I still have a spare starion turbo box here

For completion the mazda you are looking for is a B2600 that is around the 85 mark. The think to keep in the back of your mind is the ratios are different because first is taller so in a car would be impractical but given it is a commercial box and the paj is also you can go well by using one of these. You might need to swap the main shaft from yours into this box to create the 4wd version to get the transfer case on it BUT it is all doable.

It sort of comes down to whether you wish to keep the 2.6 and or the originality of the vehicle.

Cheers

Oldn64

95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 rebuilt running 18psi, 3" lift, 2" body lift, factory LSD maxxis bighorn MT - Club reg

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver, 2" Lift, new race prepped 3.5 v6 (high comp king race bearings, hasting race rings) ported heads & inlet. Rebuilt Auto, extra cooler.

Wifey - 2014 NW GLS White 3.2TD manual, 2" lift, 17" CSA Jackels, Maxxis Razr MT (275/70), bushskiz ubody, ARB Sahara, Smittybuilt 12000lbs Winch, dynema rope, twin batteries, GME tx4100, rear drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X