Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Suspension Problem - SWB NF Pajero

Hi
    I am doing up my SWB NF. Fitted new engine, repainted everything except the chassis, did as much as I could in a couple of weeks while off work. Since I purchased the vehicle (5 years ago) it has had a sagging rear spring. It is our third car - the work truck, so was not too bothered but now want to replace the torsion bars and rear leafs since we intend to explore SE Qld in it. However, I cannot find anyone who can supply a regular-height set of rear springs (Mitsubishi Dealers excluded). All the after market products give a 50mm lift and this will probably add extra expense since I may have to fork out for shocks again (3 years ago fitted yellow MW shocks). My question is : does a 50mm lift at the rear look OK on this car? Can anybody send me a picture of their SWB that has aftermarket springs installed so I can see what the jack-up looks like?
    Thanks
    Duncan
    Last edited by dunk_c; 17-11-07, 06:33 AM.
    2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures

I'm not at all sure of the differences in the leaf springs beween yours and my NK, however as I've only just raised the suspension on my Paj, I have a pair of leaf springs and heavy duty shocks available. They're free if you are able to collect them from Hobart.
    97 NK

Comment

add a leaf and reset?

Hi Duncan

From time to time you see a boosted gen 1 shortie. I can't comment from experience re handling / safety, but they look plenty cool and capable.

Given your druthers re ride height, would you rather not simply take your current leaf springs to a suspension joint to have them reset and maybe add an extra leaf if they're getting soft? My NC (long wheel base) had this done to it, who knows how long prior to me getting it 3 years ago and they behaved perfectly fully loaded for a trip up the center in 2005, and show no signs of re-sagging. Despite this, some would say this is a stop-gap.... but mate, nothing lasts forever, and a 5+ (very conservative guess) year 'gap' has gotta make the $200 worth while.

my 2c

Comment

Thanks Realthumbz
        re-setting was my first thought - but read reports about them sagging again. Perhaps I should take the car to the spring shop and get them to see whether they are serviceable first.
        Thanks
        2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures

Comment

Duncan, the quick fix is to replace your SWB rear leafs with LWB leafs. I have these on my ne swb.
          alsDiD
          NP GLX DiD (auto), Kings & Koni's, LT265/75R16 AT3's, OEM bar, Rally 4000's, Custom Side Steps, 60L LRT.
          PB Challenger (manual), Kings & OzTec Suspension, LT265/70R17 AT3's, OEM bar, 23" 240W Light bar, Custom Rear Drawers.

Comment

AlsDiD
            can you explain further. Are new LWB springs easier to find at regular height? Or does installing a longer spring jack up the car?????

Comment

This photo 2' lift with 31" tyres

I have a shorty with 2" lift.
              Mine is however the NG model with coil rear suspension (so these photos are for looks comparison)

This photo with 2" lift and 33" tyres

I did not replace the shocks at the original stage of the lift (not required) but have now done so in order to max out my articulation (I do not run rear sway bars) but this is chasing the final bit and is not necessary, and time will tell if I have to lengthen the rear brake lines etc.

Cheers
              ML triton with some accessories
              National E Trek Libary
              Getting Out There

Comment

Are new LWB springs easier to find at regular height? Or does installing a longer spring jack up the car?????

Just a bit of height gained (approx 2"), but they are easier to obtain.
                alsDiD
                NP GLX DiD (auto), Kings & Koni's, LT265/75R16 AT3's, OEM bar, Rally 4000's, Custom Side Steps, 60L LRT.
                PB Challenger (manual), Kings & OzTec Suspension, LT265/70R17 AT3's, OEM bar, 23" 240W Light bar, Custom Rear Drawers.

Comment

at 400 for a new pair of OLMAN EMU springs isnt it worth buying new?? for short wheel base tho you will need new u bolts

Comment

awesome 2yr old grave dig
                    If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post

This photo 2' lift with 31" tyres

I have a shorty with 2" lift.
                      Mine is however the NG model with coil rear suspension (so these photos are for looks comparison)

This photo with 2" lift and 33" tyres

I did not replace the shocks at the original stage of the lift (not required) but have now done so in order to max out my articulation (I do not run rear sway bars) but this is chasing the final bit and is not necessary, and time will tell if I have to lengthen the rear brake lines etc.

Cheers
                      That is a sweet looking shorty! Are they factory flares? Or aftermarket ones?
                      NS SWB DiD, ARB Deluxe Bar, 9500lb winch, BFG A/T's, IPF Sport spotties, GME 2-way, Factory rear locker, Poly Airs in rear, Custom side steps, Custom dual battery set-up.

Comment

haha woops didnt read that thanks for the heads up lol

Comment

Well it's been brought up so i may as well ask whats the down side to fitting
                          LWB springs or why doesn't everyone just do it?
                          And if i ask for a 2" lifted LWB lifted spring will i get 4" of lift?
                          '92 GQ Nissan Patrol Ti, Auto, pretty much stock apart from GME TX300. Just ticked over 350,000klm's. Start the mods soon!

Comment

the down side is they may be stiffer, and you cant wind the front end up to match so you get the drag car look
                            If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Ah k, Thanks Dude.
                              '92 GQ Nissan Patrol Ti, Auto, pretty much stock apart from GME TX300. Just ticked over 350,000klm's. Start the mods soon!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X