No announcement yet.

2.8 litre turbo diesel to replace 2.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 litre turbo diesel to replace 2.5?

Hi guys, I have just done the head on my 89 pajero. She's done a fantastic 350 000ks without missing a beat. My mechanic said that he thinks I can fit a later model 2.8 lite turbo diesel engine to replace the old 2.5 turbo diesel without any hassles. Has anyone done this successfully and if so can you please let me know the details.
    cheers
    Peter

Don't know why you would bother with the 2.8 when there are a couple of people running around with the 3.2.

The cost would run around the same now?

I would think that there would be a few pretty good engines coming up as well, if the storms around Sydney are as bad as everyone makes out. They wrote off pretty much every vehicle under $10,000 in the Lismore storm. But a state of emergency was declared.

Just something else to consider.
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Comment

The 2.8 has a bigger gearbox and transfer case. You would have to use them and do a 2in. body lift so it would fit.
      Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

Hi 4wd26 and Errol, can you tell me any details of the units you refer to that are running the 3.2. Why do you think it is it a better option than the 2.8 Would I need the gearbox and transfer case too and a body lift so it would lift as advised by Errol. Do you know of a mechanic who has done this type of engine refit?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
        Peter

Comment

Originally posted by codfishman View Post
          Hi 4wd26 and Errol, can you tell me any details of the units you refer to that are running the 3.2. Why do you think it is it a better option than the 2.8 Would I need the gearbox and transfer case too and a body lift so it would lift as advised by Errol. Do you know of a mechanic who has done this type of engine refit?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
          Peter
          http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...p/t-12723.html

This is all I can find at the moment. I had a direct link to a buildup of a Gen1 with a 3.2 implant from this forum with "4ePajero" as the user name but I deleted it a while ago.

He sometimes frequents this forum- well at least the old one. Always had good advice. The old forum also had a buildup of the same engine into a gen2.

The benifits of this engine 3.2 over the 2.8 is its more powerful and efficient, but also computer controled, I'm not sure on the 2.8 in this regard?

If I was to go through the pain of a transplant I would be going this route.
          You will need gearbox and transfer.

Mind you if the vehicle is still ok condition after 350,000kms maybe look at a "brand new" 2.5 ITD as they are still available in 4x4 trader.

Cheers
          ML triton with some accessories
          National E Trek Libary
          Getting Out There

Comment

The vehicle is in fairly good condition.... no beach work hence no rust.Mainly used as a people mover as we had 5 kids and needed the space and then there was my tinny to tow too.Everything still works well on it and it's in pretty good shape so maybe your suggestion of a new 2.5 motor may be the go.
            I'll check it out. Thanks for the headsup.
            cheers
            Peter

Comment

Try the engine importers. You might get a good 2nd. hand import at the right price. The 2.8 is a better motor and the 3.2 is heaps better but I think it would cost more than the car is worth unless you can do the work yourself.
              Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X