89 Turbo diesel with turbo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Turbo diesel with turbo not working

G'day, I test drove a 1989 Pajero TD yesterday....the car and the engine seemed immaculate until I drove it and the turbo did not work at all, no matter what the RPM. Wondered if this was a common problem and if it means a turbo replacement? Can it have damaged the engine?

i got a 89 intercooled turbo deisel and my turbo works fine starts spooling at bout 1800rpm i really dont think it could have damaged the motor but a reco turbo will set u back bout $700 it the turbo has blown or anything im guessing it will be smoky but then again i could be wrong im new to 4x4 and im no machanic ask around go to ur local 4x4 shop and ask them and see how u go mayb u could get it alot cheaper due to the turbo problem.

but they r good trucks i havent had a problem with mine and it take me everythere the patrol and landcruises do haha for half the $$ hahahaha.
    89 LWB pajero 2.5lt DTI 2 inch suspension 2 inch body safari snorkle.

Comment

this one is not intercooled but i did drive another one earlier in the day and yeah i agree the turbo kicked in at about 1800RPM. maybe you could answer this though - is it normal to have a bit of a hissing type noise at the high RPM range which sounds like air escaping....is that just the turbo dumping excess air?

Comment

i really have no idea to be honest but while im on boost u can hear the turbo spool like the winding sound they make u know it haha zzzzzzzz somthing like that i got a boost gauge and it shows 10psi not bad for standard.

why dont u try taking a make that knows 4x4 or turbos or get an racv test they cost bout $120 somthing like that not to sure.

so how did u compare the intercooler to the non intercooler if u can notice any difference with the turbo problem or mayb this is a stupid Question haha.

Comment

hi there timsy
          sounds like you have a boost leak sumwhere. what engine is it 4d56t ?.
          they did have a habit of cracking the waste gate port and lose boost pressure thats what mine did. a thing to look at is moving the oil feed line useing a t-piece tap off the oil switch, its a much better supply of oil .the 4d55 /56t engines lubes the turbo off the back oil gallery on the cam shaft. at idel and midd reves the oil flow is not real good and it robs the topend of oil pressure [have seen them seize camshafts]. start by checking boost pressure with a boost gauge shood be around 10-12 psi if its lower then that look for leaks around hoses and fittings and around inlet manifold if that looks allgood start looking at turbo

Comment

i also have the 4d56 intercooled turbo and im running bouyt 9 1/2 10 do u think ill be losing some oil presure or is that fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
              i also have the 4d56 intercooled turbo and im running bouyt 9 1/2 10 do u think ill be losing some oil presure or is that fine?
              hi there im gessing thats the boost presure thats fine. but what i ment was to move the oil presure feed line from the back of the head to the oil presure switch. the presure switch is mounted in to the main oil gallery and is a constent flow of oil presure and it is cooler .you can lose oil presure in the top end of the engine as the turbo wheres out but what the main concern is that the turbo isent getting a constent flow of oil. as the cam turnes around there is a point when it bloks the oil flow to the turbo {thats where the oil line comes out from] thats haw my 4d56t sezed its cam . and thay all do it

Comment

Originally posted by altech1 View Post
                a thing to look at is moving the oil feed line useing a t-piece tap off the oil switch, its a much better supply of oil .the 4d55 /56t engines lubes the turbo off the back oil gallery on the cam shaft. at idel and midd reves the oil flow is not real good and it robs the topend of oil pressure [have seen them seize camshafts].

but what i ment was to move the oil presure feed line from the back of the head to the oil presure switch. the presure switch is mounted in to the main oil gallery and is a constent flow of oil presure and it is cooler .you can lose oil presure in the top end of the engine as the turbo wheres out but what the main concern is that the turbo isent getting a constent flow of oil. as the cam turnes around there is a point when it bloks the oil flow to the turbo {thats where the oil line comes out from] thats haw my 4d56t sezed its cam . and thay all do it
                Does anyone have anymore info on this?????? Or have done it?

Comment

Also could be as simple as the waste gate actuator having come off the waste gate ... There only a split pin holding these together and it has happened a few times on my lancer. No boost builds as all exhaust air goes straight out the wastegate. Also may explain the. Poses you are talking about...
                  G5R5OL = CD5A/CE9A/E39A Bastard Child
                  Daily = 2006 NP Pajero VR-X DiD

Comment

I know it was 5 years ago but...

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by altech1
                    a thing to look at is moving the oil feed line useing a t-piece tap off the oil switch, its a much better supply of oil .the 4d55 /56t engines lubes the turbo off the back oil gallery on the cam shaft. at idel and midd reves the oil flow is not real good and it robs the topend of oil pressure [have seen them seize camshafts].

but what i ment was to move the oil presure feed line from the back of the head to the oil presure switch. the presure switch is mounted in to the main oil gallery and is a constent flow of oil presure and it is cooler .you can lose oil presure in the top end of the engine as the turbo wheres out but what the main concern is that the turbo isent getting a constent flow of oil. as the cam turnes around there is a point when it bloks the oil flow to the turbo {thats where the oil line comes out from] thats haw my 4d56t sezed its cam . and thay all do it

Who has relocated their oil take off for the turbo oil feed line?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X