Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Transfer case

Hi Guys,

I just found (I think) the cause of a very annoying vibration that started happening a while ago and which I haven't been able to track till now. As it turns out my transfer case started leaking oil (that was a good hint) at the main driveshaft end, and there's a bit of freeplay (you can move the shaft up and down a little bit) so I'm guessing my bearings are gone in the transfer case which causes the vibration and the leaking seals. It also gets very hot so I think I'm burning bearings at the moment.
    I think the driveshaft also has a bit too much rotating freeplay, but I'd have to check that more closely.

My question, can you remove the transfer case without removing the gear case? I've got manuals that describe how to remove both, but it doesn't say anything about just the transfer case. I'm assuming disconnecting the rearshaft at the rearaxle and the front shaft at the front axle should get me enough room to remove the transfer case. I know I'll have to drain it first.

Any pointers are appreciated! Also if I'm overlooking something. I'm pretty new to Pajero's (4WD in general) and have owned this one for just 4 months orso.

Cheers! Olger.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    1989 NF V6 auto, ARB rear locker, alloy bullbar, 2" lift, stainless steel snorkel, extended breathers, white dials, 21ltr center console fridge, led bar, UHF, rear work lights

Yo Ogler,

My understanding of the mechanics is that you can't take the transfer case out by itself. There are a couple of roll pins you have to remove for the gear selectors that are in the gearbox and you can't get to them with the box fitted. Someone else may know better, I would like to know if it is possible myself.

Cheers Keith
    IF I'M NOT HERE, I'M PROBABLY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

1993 NH GLX 3 litre V6, Rear diff lock, Cruise control, Auto, Aluminium bullbar, Std Mags with 265/70/R15 Yokohama Super Diggers.

Comment

I just noticed I forgot to mention what type Paj I've got. It's a 1988 v6 LWB. Just in case that's handy to know.
      1989 NF V6 auto, ARB rear locker, alloy bullbar, 2" lift, stainless steel snorkel, extended breathers, white dials, 21ltr center console fridge, led bar, UHF, rear work lights

Comment

Yo Ogler,

Doesn't make any difference, gearbox construction are basically the same for Gen 1 manuals.

Cheers Keith
        IF I'M NOT HERE, I'M PROBABLY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

1993 NH GLX 3 litre V6, Rear diff lock, Cruise control, Auto, Aluminium bullbar, Std Mags with 265/70/R15 Yokohama Super Diggers.

Comment

Thanks Keith!
          Sorry for the late reply. Just got the car fixed. Turns out the transfer case was alright (except for a leaking seal), the vibration was caused by universal joints on the rearaxle gone to a heavenly afterlife. Bushings on one trailingarm had also gone elsewheres which added to the whole effect. All good again.

Cheers! Olger.

Comment

Just to let you know you can pull the transfer case out without dropping the gear box.
            I did it to mine 94 NJ prick of a job

Cheers Dash

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X