Funny clicks from the glow plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny clicks from the glow plugs

I'm used to the "Click........Click" on my '88 2.5ITD import, but recently it goes "Click.Click" then continues for 45 seconds or so after the engine starts. This is usually the first start of the day. After that it sound normal on start up or goes "Click.Click." Anyone know what's up here? Thanks
    89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

I don't know the 4D56 well as to the location of but it'll have to do with the water temp sensor for the glow plugs.... requires a new sensor or all the crud cleaned of the old one.

Possibly the sensors are near the top radiator hose on the motor. There'll probably be two ,one will be temp gauge, one does the glow plug relay.

To test which one is which, disconnect one, turn the ignition on but not start the motor. The relay should go back to 'click'....few seconds...'click' with it disconnected.
    'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
        Thank you. I'll give that a try.
        Hows it going?

Have you had a chance to fit up the adjustable shocks yet?

My glow plugs are still operating as per normal click----click, sorry I'm no help on this topic.

Cheers Selwyn (Thornlands Qld)
        ML triton with some accessories
        National E Trek Libary
        Getting Out There

Comment

Did not install the shocks, but learned how to adjust them. Had an ailment that took me out from under cars for quite a while. Unfortunately, the left front adjuster is boogered on both sets. Adjusting the rears to a stiffer setting helped quite a bit.

Still fooling with the clicks. Found and cleaned the sensors. No help. I'm guessing there are three main components - sensor, controller and plug. I also guess that the sensor would be the easiest and cheapest to R&R.

Comment

Found a test procedure for the sensor - resistance check over a temperature range. The sensor seems to work properly - the ohmmeter showed in the ballpark figures. I guess the next will be to figure out where the controller is and do a somewhat more complex test on it.

Comment

i had a similar problem in my 4D55 paj, though possibly not as repeatable as yours, and it turned out to be the controller. it mounts up high on the drivers kick panel, and i found that the solder joint to one of the connector pins had cracked where it meets the PCB.
              - Simon
              NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
              RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion

Comment

I'll look for that today.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
                  I'll look for that today.
                  Couldn't find the controller. It's in the shop today with more serious problems - probably a crack in the head.

Comment

Turned out it was a cracked and warped head. Clicks solved. Glo plug ends burned creating open circuit. Never did figure out where the controller is.

Comment

I was wrong. I hate to keep flogging it, but it's back to the click, click. The first cold start sounds normal, but after that....
                      Anyone have a guess for where to look for the glo plug controller?

Comment

it is a metal box the size of a child's fist, looks like a glow plug relay a bit. on drivers side under dash, mounted up high on the kick panel - at least thats how it is in mine.
                        - Simon
                        NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
                        RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X