Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lost my lights and wipers and it's not a fuse or relay... help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost my lights and wipers and it's not a fuse or relay... help please!

I have a new problem... I have park lights and high beam but no low beam or wipersand the globes are good too. The REALLY strange bit is... if I turn the lights, ignition and wipers on then pull the light stalk to go to hi beam, everything works.

Seriously, please help! This is doing my head in...
    Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
    Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
    Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

sounds like a bad earth?

Comment

Pulled the dash apart and found a melted plug. The low beam circuit has a relay but the highs do not. With the 100/130w globes it has melted the plug on the loom for the combination switch.

I would highly recommended that anyone who does a doubling of draw on the lights uses relays... I as usual knew better.

Learn from my stupidity peole! I seem to be determined to show the world what not to do...

On the plus side, I now know that every single damn earth in the car is shiny and clean!
      Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
      Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
        Pulled the dash apart and found a melted plug. The low beam circuit has a relay but the highs do not. With the 100/130w globes it has melted the plug on the loom for the combination switch.

I would highly recommended that anyone who does a doubling of draw on the lights uses relays... I as usual knew better.

Learn from my stupidity peole! I seem to be determined to show the world what not to do...

On the plus side, I now know that every single damn earth in the car is shiny and clean!

I put 90/130w into a series one many years ago. Fried the fusible link. Had an auto reset one fitted.

Comment

i used to run the 90/130's in my stock lights for years in both my NF and NG both 3.0l v6 not the stock exe and they had relay's fitted before i got them they look factory fitted never had any problem except the stock inserts the reflector had gone on them i also have a NG parts car that never had any big globe fitted same thing the reflectors were just as bad now i'm running 35w hid kit but need to get better inserts suited to the hid's the proper projector inserts not what i was sold as Bakerboy has pointed out even after being checked by pit's and passed i want them to be better anyway lol i have heaps of light on my old girl now just want it to be spot on to suit me i'm close though i drove to Perth a few nights back and well blinded a few people around corners and hills had to switch off my hid floodlights to be kind to others ya get that and people wonder why i like driving very late at night because i'm all alone at that time and lights run all the way home rarely need to dip them @ 2am
          94 NJ Paj LWB 5spd, 2in king springs,torsion bars wound up & droop stops trimmed, alloy bullbar & side steps,full length steel roof rack ,Rally 1000's, 170 night stalkers h/light upgrade h4 replacement globes 55/100, rear work lights, Sony head unit, Uniden 40ch UHF, GME 80ch UHF, 27mhz AM SSB CB, 33' BFG a/t's on 15' 60ser L/Cruiser chrome rims, Snorkel rebuilt motor g/box & rear diff with auto lokka lot more to come

Comment

Looking forward to doing the hid conversion on mine. I'll eventually be replacing every other ligbt with leds. The 50 amp alternator doesn't give much headroom for inverters, fridges, usb, etc. Save draw where I can and use it elsewhere. At the moment, on high beam with spotties on im drawing 580 watts just on lights. That puts me at 48.3 amps including park and tail lights. Thats not including ignition, stereo, aircon or dash lights.

How much better is the light on the road with the hids?

Comment

I had 35w HID's in the regular round lamps, was brilliant on low beam but could never adjust them correctly without blinding everyone, ended up taking them out so i didn't get a ticket :P

If you're after more electrical headroom, grab an alternator off an efi TN/TP magna, swap the pulley over to a v-belt one and bam theres 85amps :P, only need to make up a patch lead for the charging reg, one for the charge light and one for the sense circuit (marked L and S on the regs) just cut the wiring tail off a wrecked car too to make it easy.
              1990 Gen 1 NG EXE LWB
              2.6 34ADM Weber, 2.25" Exhaust, Extractors, Balance shafts removed
              . ( EFI setup pending :P )
              2" Raised leafs and wound up torsion bars.
              31" AT's and 32" MT's, Offset rims, Flexi-Flares.
              Bull bar, 9500lbs winch, IPF driving lights, GME UHF Radio, Custom Rear Drawers, on-board 12v compressor, Upgraded sound system, 300w Inverter.

Comment

Looking forward to doing the hid conversion on mine. I'll eventually be replacing every other ligbt with leds. The 50 amp alternator doesn't give much headroom for inverters, fridges, usb, etc. Save draw where I can and use it elsewhere. At the moment, on high beam with spotties on im drawing 580 watts just on lights. That puts me at 48.3 amps including park and tail lights. Thats not including ignition, stereo, aircon or dash lights.

How much better is the light on the road with the hids?
                well the HID's are much better but i will change to the 55w HID's with the Projector head lights inserts and that will make them even better i also run 2 7" HID spread beam or euro beam as they call them and they give me excellent flood lights and still good for around 500 meter's distance and with my 170 night stalkers one spread one pencil beam only running 130w halogen globes they still add more light but a different color though it's a nice mix with the 6000k HID's and the halogen's but after i upgraded the headlights and got them adjusted correctly they just got better it's just a wall of light that you don't want to receive coming the other way as it will leave you with dazzled eyes even i have done it to my self walked about 100meters up the road and the missus hit all the lights and yeah i couldn't see properly for about half an hour lol so now i'm just waiting to upgrade the night stalkers to HID and hopefully it will give me that bit more distance i'm after if not then i will buy another set of the 55w HID's but maybe the 9' ones this time both will be pencil beams this time but i will get the set the you can just change the clear covers to switch them between pencil and spread so i can change them according to what i'm wanting at the time it would be great to be able to change them instantly like that i wish i had got those first time round but that's life i guess there defiantly worth doing as they draw less power than the halogen globes and give much better light as i have found and i just brought the eBay cheap HID's
                the 7' HID's only cost $110 and are even cheaper now
                the HID headlight conversion only cost me $48 for the 35w
                replacement head light inserts were around $49
                the 170 night stalkers were on the car when i brought it
                i had removed them to use my 180 series night stalkers with 130w halogen globes that are now in the 170's but they got smashed when i hit another big roo but they still worked but the cops didn't like the broken glass to dangerous for pedestrians they said they were good lights but now are useless that happens when you drive at night i almost hit another this time i drove to Perth so far this Pajero has a 2 nil 2 dead roo's nil major damage only a set of lights and an UHF aerial no panel damage either always a bonus
                i'm also in the proses of changing all other lights over to LED's as well so far i have done
                both numberplate lights
                the brake and tail lights
                both interior lights and the map reading lights
                getting there slowly as i have the money to do them once all the out side lights are done i will do the dash light globes too
                i have also added two rear Hella work lights i will be changing them over to LED's as well
                i have also replaced the 75 amp alt with a Mitsubishi alt from a ef falcon as they use a 100/110amp alt i managed to just bolt it on and slight wiring mod (extend the wires ) and good as gold
                now it has a new alt as the first was a secondhand one i already had so i fitted it but after 18 months it had a diode fail and was only putting out 11.5 volts found this out on a trip home late at night so we slept in the Paj at Toodyay waited till morning to call the old man for help as there was no point doing this at 2am when he would be able to do anything till next morning anyway
                so he chased around and a new replacement was sourced and he delivered to me in Toodyay we stopped before we had no power left the auto electrician said no that is not the right alt it wont fit but after the old man called me to confirm it was the alt i wanted and he brought anyway when got there i had the old one off and he was shocked how well it fitted only took 5 minutes to fit and back on the road didn't even need a jump start still had more than enough power to start the old Paj that surprised the old man he though i would need his GU Patrol to start my Pajero but i told him no it will start he didn't believe me lol that's why i had stopped before we had no power left in the Paj plus it is much easier to get help when your only 100kms away rather than 200+kms away
                94 NJ Paj LWB 5spd, 2in king springs,torsion bars wound up & droop stops trimmed, alloy bullbar & side steps,full length steel roof rack ,Rally 1000's, 170 night stalkers h/light upgrade h4 replacement globes 55/100, rear work lights, Sony head unit, Uniden 40ch UHF, GME 80ch UHF, 27mhz AM SSB CB, 33' BFG a/t's on 15' 60ser L/Cruiser chrome rims, Snorkel rebuilt motor g/box & rear diff with auto lokka lot more to come

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X