EFi conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFi conversion

Well its been a long time coming, and its about time i start this thread.

In a few weeks i am going to be converting my NB SWB 2.6L to fuel injection. I have been planing this conversion for about a year and a half now and i finally have all the bits and pieces to do the conversion (apart from some small stuff). Now the conversion is going to be based on a TN magna (which was donated to me by a mate of mine for a slab ) which i striped the engine and took what i need. I have had the intake manifold and plenum customised to fit into the pajero by a guy from the sigma-galant forum and it should be arriving next week. The fuel delivery will be through a surge tank (similar to what is found in a VL commodore) which i have had custom made to fit on the under body under the rear seats, and i have a low and high pressure bosch fuel pump teamed up with 3 fuel filters (1 low 2 high pressure) also i will be using the current steel fuel lines on the pajero with fuel injection rubber lines when need be. The loom and computer has come straight out of the TN magna and there will be no modifications as of yet. The intake will be a custom job with an intercooler where the air con radiator used to be, why an intercooler? Because in the next year or so i will going down the track of turbocharging and i have been told that an intercooler will work fine with a EFi set up. The only thing left now to do is tap my exhaust manifold for the oxy sensor and then i should be ready do go.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free to ask away because like i said i have been researching this for about one and a half years. I will try and keep this thread up to date with my progress and photos when i can.

Regards
    Luis

There a thread on one similar to this if you need something to check up on-
    http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic...+efi+convesion
    '92 GQ Nissan Patrol Ti, Auto, pretty much stock apart from GME TX300. Just ticked over 350,000klm's. Start the mods soon!

Comment

I did my NE SWB many years ago..

I ran the TR Magna inlet manifold (Longer runners) and a Haltech ECU.

It was a great thing to drive once the ECU was sorted, but still took ages to get the cold start working perfectly.

Good luck, well worth the effort...

Comment

Originally posted by Da_rooster1980 View Post
        There a thread on one similar to this if you need something to check up on-
        http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic...+efi+convesion
        First page i ever saw and read about doing the conversion, the same person did a huge write up on www.sigma-galant.com (not in there archives anymore because they recently re did the whole website) which is where i contacted him to tell me who did his manifold modification etc. He was a great help to me but unfortunately he dosent have that Paj any more, and if i am correct i believe that Doowrag (member of this forum) is now in possession of that Paj

Comment

WAS in possession....

Sold it after finding a crack in the engine block. and for other reasons like the second child arriving and the poojabba was way to uncomfortable for the littlies with no air con either so now the proud owner of a V6 Frontera...much more comfy. See driving around town every now and then, still going strong, not sure if he fixed the crack or not....

Can't comment obviously on before and after performance but I can say Michael did a sweet job on the whole setup, very neat and tidy and he knows what he's talking about and was only to happy to help whenever I rang him.

Good luck with the conversion. Not sure where you live but there are guys on the sunshine coast (Chapmans Auto - Repco Workshop) who race 2.6 efi turbo shorty's and know them inside and out and reckon they haul ass.

D
          2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

Well i promised photos and since i have received the manifold i think hear will be a good place to start.

This is my standard Pajero and as you can see the intercooler at the front and the EFi air box straight out of the TN magna.

And the donated TN magna

Hear is the custom surge tank with all the pumps and filters all ready to be fixed under the Pajero

A close up of the surge tank

The loom which i have striped and separated to suit the conversion also the 2 thermo fans

And hear is the customised manifold which i have already attached the throttle body, fuel rail etc

And another shot of the manifold

Comment

shouldn't the low pressure filter be situated before the low pressure pump so the filter catches any debris from the fuel tank before it goes through the pump?

REgards

Epitrochoid
              owning mitsubishi's since 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by epitrochoid View Post
                shouldn't the low pressure filter be situated before the low pressure pump so the filter catches any debris from the fuel tank before it goes through the pump?

REgards

Epitrochoid
                Yes, what i am planning on doing when i install the surge tank i am going to put another low pressure filter in between the petrol tank and the low pressure pump. I have gone a little bit overboard with the filters (i have another one going just before the fuel rail as well) but i am only insuring that i will only get clean fuel

Comment

for 7 years i owned a mazda rx7 which had aftermarket fuel injection with a surge tank under the rear of the car. it had a low pressure fuel filter between the tank and low pressure pump and a high pressure filter after the high pressure pump. i changed the low pressure filter every year and the high pressure filter every 2 years and never had a problem.
                  The low pressure filter will catch most of the crud.

REgards

epitrochoid
                  owning mitsubishi's since 1994.

Comment

Well time for an update

On Saturday, i took out the carb and the old manifold, fixed the surge tank and connected all of the fuel lines, put in the EFi manifold and connected all the necessary bits and pieces, (ie radiator lines, vacuum lines, throttle cable etc)

Yesterday i set out the job to wire everything. Wasn't too hard because i already had the loom set out on the floor before i started anything. The only tricky part was wiring the fuel pumps and the computer. But after an hour or so i got the job done.

Things were looking great and almost finished just needed to connect the spark plug leads, top up the coolant, plug in the battery and start her up. But when i started filling up the coolant there was a major leak from the manifold. So now i have to remove the manifold again and see what is going on. Keep you posted

Regards
                    Luis

Comment

Originally posted by luifly View Post
                      But when i started filling up the coolant there was a major leak from the manifold. So now i have to remove the manifold again and see what is going on. Keep you posted

Regards
                      Luis
                      I had exactly the same problem when I converted my Sigma. I feel your pain.

The end result will be worth it.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        I had exactly the same problem when I converted my Sigma. I feel your pain.

The end result will be worth it.
                        What was the problem? and what did you do to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by luifly View Post
                          What was the problem? and what did you do to fix it
                          Inadequate application of gasket goo. From memory, second time, I smeared some silicone gasket maker on both sides of the paper gasket, and it's been good ever since.

One tip: I had persistent oil leaking from the rear of the rocker cover, and nothing I tried would fix it - until I increased the size of the PCV fittings, to improve flow & reduce pressure in the system. I guess my old Sigma motor has more blow-by than a new Magna motor.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Inadequate application of gasket goo. From memory, second time, I smeared some silicone gasket maker on both sides of the paper gasket, and it's been good ever since.

One tip: I had persistent oil leaking from the rear of the rocker cover, and nothing I tried would fix it - until I increased the size of the PCV fittings, to improve flow & reduce pressure in the system. I guess my old Sigma motor has more blow-by than a new Magna motor.
                            Well i hope its just that, i didn't apply much of that gasket sealant so figures crossed

Comment

Well yesterday i managed to remove the manifold (without taking anything else off apart from the dizzy) and i found out why it is leaking. When i purchased the new gasket for the manifold i got one for a magna because if you look at the pajero manifold you can see that there is a gap where something goes after the first intake hole is, if you look at the magna manifold (refer to previous post) you can see that it is just blanked out. But hear comes the reason for the leakage. In the rear coolant intake on the magna, the hole i a large rectangular shape (also shown in previous post) and on the pajero the hole is a smaller rectangular slit.

So what i am thinking on doing is getting a pajero gasket and cutting both the magna and pajero gaskets (in the same place) and gluing them with gasket glue to patch up both problems. Would this work?

Regards
                              Luis

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X