Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Body mounts / Bushes - Hard to get and/or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Body mounts / Bushes - Hard to get and/or replace?

I've now gone through with the big spend and had the following components fitted (refer to http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...read.php?t=796 for the process) to my 93 NH:

4 x Bilsteins
    Kept the Fireflex heavy duty lift springs at the back
    Pedders heavy duty torsion bars (seemed easier as to avoid downtime in case of wrong length...)
    All new urethane trailing arm bushes
    All new urethane rear sway bar bushes
    four new balljoints
    rear driveshaft uni-joint

plus, a few months ago the idler arm

To my frustrations there's still a fair bit of vibration when driving over corrugations - more than with any other car i've owned (this is the first 4wd)!
    It's mainly going through the steering wheel, the pedals and the gearstick, which makes it very tiring to drive. But it obviously has a lot more control with the shocks and all the new components!

I can't think of any other cause than the body mounts.. in particular the two front bush-like ones that look rather dodgy. All other look fine but some don't seem very tight (not obviously loose but the nut turns easily as does the bolt) . Will try to tighten these at the first occasion although it's a hassle as the carpets need to come off.

I also picked up new engine mounts (front side ones and rear one) which i'll hopefully get around to installing on saturday. Hopefully this will cure the excessive movements in the gear lever which makes it hard to shift when driving over corrugations!

Any thoughts on the (front) body mounts? What about you guys doing body lifts - what do you do with the two bush-like mounts?

I also picked up new engine mounts (front side ones and rear one) which i'll hopefully get around to installing on saturday
    Yeah, right! Ended up spending some 8 hours on saturday plus at least six hours on sunday! Changing engine mounts is a pain in the arse on these cars!! I suspect Gregory's never actually did it when they wrote the manual!

But, good to have it done, gear lever feels nice and tight now, and i still haven't replaced the rear engine mount! Haven't tried it at speed yet but I suspect that bumps will feel less harsh when the engine doesn't bounce around.

When pottering about upside down in the engine bay i noticed what might be the cause of the sloppy feeling and the vibration travelling through the steering wheel: There is a small uni joint at the end of the steering shaft before it goes into the gear housing. This joint has a lot of play in it, the shaft can be moved easily 1mm up and down. I suspect that this, in combination with the worn engine mounts were causing the vibrations rather than the body mounts....?

Is this uni-joint a common thing to have to replace on these cars?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X