Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH Auto Gearbox.

Hi guys,
    I own a 93 NH GLX with a 4 speed auto and my question is can I fit a later model auto box with out doing any modifacations??? The reason I ask is that recently whilst towing my 2 tonne van the AT temp light started to come on. I would stop and idle it down and after about 5/10 minutes the light would go out only to come again depending on the terrian travelled how long it stayed off. took it to a approved gearbox repairer and after doing various tests the oil cooler was replaced with a larger one fitted. About 60k`s later the light came back on again. Without stripping the box everything seemed to check out okay so we replaced the oil temp sender, still the same problem only whilst towing the van? under normal driving no problems? They then concluded that the other thing to do was to strip the box to see what was wrong and replace any worn part and if they were going to do that the correct thing to do was rebuild the whole box for about $3500 ???
    To cut a long story short I got the car and van home now i have to decide what to do??? As I am in no financial position at the moment to replace my tug I am looking at other options. It has 167,000ks on the clock and been serviced as per the book plus in between when going on a trip. Any advice from the experts would be appreciatted.
    Thanks in advance. SeaDog.

I was told that this forum was very helpful to Pajero owners who were seeking advice concerning their vehicles, so I was hoping that someone would have responded to my queries by now!!!
    Regards SeaDog.

Comment

Now lets see SeaDog, NJ the model after yours is the same box and after that they had the 3.5 motor in them that had the bigger box. So that leaves the 3LTR 24 Valve boxes that has the Invec 11. They would probably, fit but you might have issues with the ECU controlling gear changes.

If you have put a bigger oil cooler on it it should be ok, the only other thing I can suggest is to give it another oil change and you have to be very specific whick Trans oil you use. Make sure it is Mitsu approved.
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Dave,
        Thanks for the response, actually I was hoping that some member may have tried it and that they could give me a run down on how it went!
        With my box I think there maybe a greater problem than the oil as this was changed when they had the pan of to make sure that the belts were not slipping. To my way of thinking it is either the torque converter is slipping when towing or there is something amiss with the internals of the box. I have been told that this model has the same box as the Magna so if this is the case it maybe to light for towing the 2 tonne van and that is why I was hoping to be able to fit the heavier box out of a 3.5 ltr model!!! If I did this and there was a problem with the ECU could I solve this by replacing it with the unit out of the 3.5 model!!!
        If any other members have any ideas please feel free to respond !!!!!!!
        Regards SeaDog

Comment

You cannot put a 3.5 litre ECU in a 3.0 Litre paj.

I'm stumped on this one, my suggestion would be to check around at some wreckers, I'm sure there would be a wide selection of Nh/NJ transmissions around these days at a decent price.
          You problem is not all that common thats why no one has really responded to you enquiry, NH/NJ transmissions are good for 500,000kms (with a few exceptions). I've towed some damn heavy loads before and never seen a hint of the transmission temp light... sorry i can't really help
          UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
          $6500

Comment

Not sure if this will help but there is a tranmission on ebay for $99.00 with 2 days left. May help. Link is http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MITSUBISHI-PA...QQcmdZViewItem

Raurrie

Comment

hi i have a 94 nj and it was going the same thing when i was pulling my 16 foot caravan up hills the auto light came on so i asked a round and found out the 3.5 auto wont fix its a bigger box so i put a 2rd oil cooler on with the one that was on it and i had no proplems with it so far its been on there for about 3 years now i went and got a v8 after market one and put on it i slid it down detween the radator and the a/c radator i hope this helps

Comment

So so many 3lt nh and nj's were sold and this isnt a commonly known of problem, that along would give me the confidence to put the same thign back in again. As to wether you repair wat you have, chance a second hand unit, or patch it up with another cooler only you can answer

None of the larger box's will fit, and the work involved for an electronically controlled box would outweight teh value of the car....

Comment

far as i know this is a problum with them and i was told its because the torque converter is to small for the vehicle thats why they over heat when you tow something

Comment

Hi Guy`s,
                    Sorry for not responding sooner but have been busy with other matters.After many phone calls and advice from here I have decided that if I fit a 2nd hand box that I may end up with the same problem sooner or later so therefore I will fit a completely rebuilt box! Whilst phoneing around I managed to get to speak to a very knowledgeable bloke called Bruce at Transwreck in Brisbane who can supply the rebuilt box including the torque converter for $1800 with 12/20 warranty or they will supply, remove and refit for $2150 which I reckon is not bad seeing seeing that I was quoted $3500 when the problem occurred on the trip. He also suggested that I bring the tug to there workshop so that they can do some tests to see what the fault is incase it does not need a rebuild??
                    Regards SeaDog

Comment

Hi SeaDog,,
                      What your going through now is what i did,,from what i know, these boxes aren't really made for towing heavy loads,they are good for normal towing but not when ya tow HEAVY loads all the time.i did all different stuff then the pump blew oil backwards,due to towing heavy loads.So i ended up Converting from auto straight to a manual.It took me 2-3 hours all up.by myself,,i wouldn't ever go back to a auto again(NEVER)..Hope this helps.TATTS..
                      92NH,,SmartBar,60mmLift,Safari-Snorkel,Dual-Battery's and the usual stuff,,,,

Comment

Hi Tatts,
                        Thanks for your response! can you tell me what weight you were towing and also what you meant by blowing oil? My van wieghs 2.1 tonnes and Mitsubishi reckon that the tug is capable of towing 2.5 tonnes so I figure it should have been okay. In my discussion with Transwreck Bruce seems to think that the torque converter is ok as there is no slip when taking off or driving. He thinks that one of the 8 clutches in the box is slipping or that the oil pump is not pumping at full flow so either one of these would make the temp indicator light come on!!! When you changed to a manual box what was involved? Did you have to alter any of the electrics and etc also did you retain the origanal transfer box? All info greatly recieved!
                        Regards SeaDog
                        PS : Do you live in Qld?

Comment

Hi SeaDog,iwas forever towing car-trailer fullyloaded,these boxes aren't mean't for this type of towing.its blew oil backwards due to the pump packing in due to overloading box while towing,,now ya need to convert is simple:- 1.gearbox and shifters with the transfer to suit,footpedals(clutch,brake),master cylinder,also need front part of console to suit the manual,,there's no need to change the ECU,ya need to jump wires in ya plugs,for the saftey switches and reverse lights,it is a simple conversion if ya mechanical minded.like i said i done by myself in 2-3 hrs.if ya need any more info i live in Vic,ring me mobile 0407046122 anytime that way i can hopefully point ya in the right direction..thanks..
                          92NH,,SmartBar,60mmLift,Safari-Snorkel,Dual-Battery's and the usual stuff,,,,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X