Rear Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Lights

bit confused since i have noticed that when switching the light on only the lights in the rear bumper bar go on. always thought that the "bigger light thingy" which includes indicator, rear and brake lights also contains the red driving lights... can anyone confirm that ?

done a couple of wire cuts when de-installing the old alarm system which one of the pre-owners appareantly has installed (dodgy as hell) - so maybe i cut one wire too much ? have found a relay in the front dash where only two wires go too, it is right over the central locking relay.
    97 Pajero NK GLS, 3.5L Auto... 33x12.5 Bighorns on 15x8, 2" Suspension Lift (Lovell / Bilstein / Tough Dog), 170 Narva Spotties, homemade Rear Storage System, homemade Top Roof Console, ARB onboard compressor, UHF, Redarc Dual Battery Setup, Rear Working Light, 300W Inverter, Full size Rhino roof rack

on a nj 1995 its not ADR rules for the rear lights to work, its is illegal here in sa to wire them up, stupid i know but thats the law as ive been informed by the sa transport dept

Comment

on my 1993 nj only the ones in the bar go on, same as yours.

cheers....

Phil.......
      1993 NJ LWB 3.0ltr Manual. Maxxis BigHorns 32x11.5x15. UHF. Roof rack. Spotties. Home made rear shelf.
      Dual Batteries with RedArc and home made battery tray. Home made mud flaps. Winch.

Comment

On my 1998 NL only the bumper lights come on. The main bank of lights has the rear fog lights.
        Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

In the bumper you have a stop/tail and an indicator. These all should be working.

The middle-level lights (about rear door handle height) have a, from top to bottom, indicator, reverse & blank, fog.
          Other than the blank, they should all be working (fog will need the headlights on and button on the dash pressed).

And then there is the brake light in the top of the door window.

Many people, myself included, terminate the wire to the rear foglights and run a cable from the brake lights in the bumper up to them to get some extra brake lights.
          They are much easier to see when travelling behind one, especially in a sedan and even more so when the Paj is towing a trailer. The rear bumper lights in bright sunshine suck, and the light at the top of the door is generally too high for most peoples 'direct' view.
          It may not be 100% under the ADRs and state rules, but I'd argue that it is safer. Plus if its really that foggy, 5 mins and you can turn the fogs back into proper lights.

Doubtful that you'd get pinged tho.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

does someone have a diagram of some sort that could help us to wire up the "fog lights"? im assuming my switch is deceased in mine as when i click my switch on or off nothing happens at all either with lights on or lights off lol
            Currently:
            1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
            Coming:
            Storage Drawers, 33" BFG KM2's

Comment

thanks guys, everything good then. was just wondering when the missus drove off and only the bumper lights went on.

wiring the rear fog light at door handle height to the breaklights or the driving lights is a pretty good idea. maybe i give it a crack, too
              97 Pajero NK GLS, 3.5L Auto... 33x12.5 Bighorns on 15x8, 2" Suspension Lift (Lovell / Bilstein / Tough Dog), 170 Narva Spotties, homemade Rear Storage System, homemade Top Roof Console, ARB onboard compressor, UHF, Redarc Dual Battery Setup, Rear Working Light, 300W Inverter, Full size Rhino roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadHomer View Post
                thanks guys, everything good then. was just wondering when the missus drove off and only the bumper lights went on.

wiring the rear fog light at door handle height to the breaklights or the driving lights is a pretty good idea. maybe i give it a crack, too
                Hi Homer, just do this,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Shogun 2000; 11-04-10, 11:50 AM.
                2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

thanks for the pics, mate. is the second one standard light with fog lights on ?
                  will check tonight, but i am quite sure, when switching on driving lights (no brakes, foglights etc.) only the ones in the bumper go on.

btw i love that homer simpson sticker on your paj !

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadHomer View Post
                    thanks for the pics, mate. is the second one standard light with fog lights on ?
                    will check tonight, but i am quite sure, when switching on driving lights (no brakes, foglights etc.) only the ones in the bumper go on.

btw i love that homer simpson sticker on your paj !
                    hi homer, second pic is all tail lights on, i disconected fogs, dont need them in hobart. i have 6 tail lights and 7 brake lights all up, no one should have an excuse for running up my arse.lol . i wanted to get the homer pic blown up and put on my spare wheel cover but my wife wouldnt let me as she is in the childcare industry and takes the paj to work sometimes.
                    2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

brekyl, those mid-level lights you have look a lot like the "japanese import" style ones that I have seen in a few different overseas countries.
                      The Jap imports don't come with the bumper light units.

Homer, does your mid-level light unit look like brekyl's, or more like this:

??
                      The difference in the mid-level unit is subtle, but notice the reverse light in particular. Above mine (though it is hard to tell) is the indicator. Brekyl's is where my reverse is, and he has a brake light where my indicator is.
                      Just depends on what unit you actually have, but the fogs will probably be the same (lowest red in the mid-level unit)

If the latter, then you will only have one tail light (the bumper) when you switch the headlights/parkers on.
                      And if the latter, you wont have 2 'red' lights in the mid-level light units. The red one is the fog, which to turn into a brake light is just terminate its wire, and run one up from the brake in the bumper and hook it to the globe.
                      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Im going to hook her up today just like you have just explained how to, but i have a question anyway. when you have the parkers on and you flick the "fog lights" switch should the fogs come on? as mine dont so im guessing faulty switch, as there is power to the switch (checked with a multi meter yesterday to run a wire for the boost guage to light up with parkers )
                        Currently:
                        1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
                        Coming:
                        Storage Drawers, 33" BFG KM2's

Comment

My NL GLS has the same style rear lights as the Paj in Alex86's photo. The rear fog lights only work when the headlights are on. They don't work if only the parkers are on.

Cheers
                          Martin
                          Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                            brekyl, those mid-level lights you have look a lot like the "japanese import" style ones that I have seen in a few different overseas countries.
                            The Jap imports don't come with the bumper light units.

Homer, does your mid-level light unit look like brekyl's, or more like this:

??
                            The difference in the mid-level unit is subtle, but notice the reverse light in particular. Above mine (though it is hard to tell) is the indicator. Brekyl's is where my reverse is, and he has a brake light where my indicator is.
                            Just depends on what unit you actually have, but the fogs will probably be the same (lowest red in the mid-level unit)

If the latter, then you will only have one tail light (the bumper) when you switch the headlights/parkers on.
                            And if the latter, you wont have 2 'red' lights in the mid-level light units. The red one is the fog, which to turn into a brake light is just terminate its wire, and run one up from the brake in the bumper and hook it to the globe.
                            Hi Alex, yeh i got my lights from the UK, they are off a Shogun.

Comment

Originally posted by brekyl View Post
                              Hi Alex, yeh i got my lights from the UK, they are off a Shogun.
                              hey alex, just noticed that your bumper is silver , same as your corners, did u paint them or are they from a GLS?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X