Engine choice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine choice...

Okay, I posted this question in the Gen 1 section by accident...so here it goes again...

Scenario - two cars both with 150000km, both great condition with full service history. One is a 95 GLS with 3.0L engine. The other is a 99 NL Escape with a 3.5 SOHC...Which engine has the the better reputation? I realise that power is down with the 3.0L but it doesn't matter that much to me, as long as it lasts!!

Cheers for any input!

When I changed from 3.0 to 3.5SOHC (both Autos) I was amazed at the increase in power and the REDUCED fuel consumption by at least 10%.

In other words - forget the 3.0 - it's too underpowered to run this size vehicle efficiently.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
      When I changed from 3.0 to 3.5SOHC (both Autos) I was amazed at the increase in power and the REDUCED fuel consumption by at least 10%.
      I can't speak for the 3.0, but im pretty impressed by sub 14L/100km in the city.
      A near on 2-tonne vehicle, stop, start, idle, slow, traffic etc.
      Can get it to move when you put the foot down!
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Used to have an NH with the 3Lt. Compared to the 3.5 it's underpowered and lacking in torque. Bastard in soft sand..

The 3.5 is a much better engine.

No problems with longevity from either engine. The earlier Pajero's tend to suffer ECU failures which will stop you dead but the engine itself is fine.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

If price isn't an issue, go the 3.5 every time.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks for the help with that one.

I went down and put a deposit on the NL, hopefully be picking it up later this week.

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X