Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 NJ Rear Diff - HELP

Yo All,
    I want to up-spec my 95NJ LWB GLS Paj' rear diff.
    I have been and discussed this with "Mal Wood Automotive" in Warwick, Qld.
    Ben (i think it was) has looked into the available parts to reco my Diff... it seems that Mitsubishi do not have any LSD clutch pads in Oz. And at $700 or so from Japan... i am trying to find another option.

Can anyone help?
    I am not interested in a rear or front Diff locker.
    At present it looks like all we can do is strip my rear diff down, see what condition it is in, and then only shim it out to increase the torque available.

Cheers,
    grasshopper
    Sold by EX - 96 NJ GLS LWB 3.5ltr DOHC. My time here is now limited...

Wats the issue with your diff at present?

Comment

Yo 6G74,
      No issue at present, but after 216 000 Ks, i'd like the LSD reco'd and strengthened for better off road performance.
      Cheers,
      grasshopper

Comment

Ive seen many diffs dismanteled for bearings, seals etc, put back together and they have been noisy cas of the difficulty associated with gettin the crown wheel and pinion to mesh in the exact same spot. The next thing is i would definately not want some dick fingers dismanteling my diff to reshim the clutch packs just cas...

There a test in the workshop manual to see how effective the lsd still is, have you done this to see if all this is warranted? If its truely that much of an issue to you, you'll pay the 700, or perhaps a second hand low k's diff, if not maybe wait until it genuinly doesnt work anymore.

Ive never looked, but theres no aftermarket clutch packs avaliable?

Comment

Yo 6G74,
          The workshop i am thinking of getting to do the work, is regarded as the best in the Warwick area for this type of work. So there are no "dick fingers" involved. :-)

Apparently i got lucky and my NJ Paj' has the better model of LSD that Mits used in these models.
          From my own looking, i cannot locate an aftermarket clutch kit for the diff.

Cheers,
          grasshopper

Comment

[QUOTE=6G74;6690]Ive seen many diffs dismanteled for bearings, seals etc, put back together and they have been noisy cas of the difficulty associated with gettin the crown wheel and pinion to mesh in the exact same spot. The next thing is i would definately not want some dick fingers dismanteling my diff to reshim the clutch packs just cas...

G'day 6G74 sorry this is a bit late. I have a whining noise in my '94 NJ auto and I think it is the rear diff between 95 and 110kph. Do I understand that unless the diff is actually giving huge problems you wouldn't mess with this? The whining is annoying but it all seems to work OK. I hope to be going to Cosmo Newbery next year in WA and am a bit nervous about it. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper View Post
              Yo 6G74,
              The workshop i am thinking of getting to do the work, is regarded as the best in the Warwick area for this type of work. So there are no "dick fingers" involved. :-)

Apparently i got lucky and my NJ Paj' has the better model of LSD that Mits used in these models.
              From my own looking, i cannot locate an aftermarket clutch kit for the diff.

Cheers,
              Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the NJ use a Torsen style LSD? In which case there are no clutch packs to replace.
              A Torsen style diff will either work or it's broken. No half measures.
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Yo pagerow and mrbitchi,
                My NJ is build date Oct 95, Complianced Sept 96. The main mechanic at the afore mentioned garage had a very good look at my diff for its markings, all relevant numbers from the manufacturer plates in the engine bay. Then he contacted Mits to make certain of his suspicions of which diff was fitted to my NJ. Apparently there were 3 different diffs fitted to the line of NJ Paj's.
                Mine is a clutch type. Hence my questions.
                I would think that if your diff has "annoying" diff whine, then it is time to at the very least get it inspected to make certain of its ability to last for such a drive.
                Or just bite the preverbial and get it reco-ed.
                Cheers,
                grasshopper

Comment

Originally posted by pagerow View Post
                  G'day 6G74 sorry this is a bit late. I have a whining noise in my '94 NJ auto and I think it is the rear diff between 95 and 110kph. Do I understand that unless the diff is actually giving huge problems you wouldn't mess with this? The whining is annoying but it all seems to work OK. I hope to be going to Cosmo Newbery next year in WA and am a bit nervous about it. Any help you could give would be appreciated.
                  Nono, in your case your crownwheel and pinion would most likely be replaced, as it has prolly worn through the hardening thus causing your wine, so when reassembeled theres no worry about gettin the two to mesh in the exact same spot. By dismantelling it, and then putting it back together with the origional pinion etc, you run the risk of a whining diff and will then sound prolly not dissimular to yours now.

But with yours it could also be transfercase related, auto or maybe even a wheel bearing???

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X