Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven braking on my 98 NL Pajero???

Hey people,

I've just bought a beautiful 98 NL Pajero GLS (auto) .

Since getting it home (and during the test drive) I have noticed a constant pulsating (in direct relation with vehicle speed) through the brake pedal when braking, even at low speeds causing the whole vehicle to reduce speed in a jerky fashion and obviously this has an affect to the passengers who jerk in time with the brakes!!! I had a comprehensive RAC inspection done before the purchase that mentioned nothing adverse about the discs ets and confirmed that all brake pads are at 75% plus..

I also noticed this on a different auto NL Pajero whilst on a test drive and wondered if it is a common problem/feature with that particular model???

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

This is probably caused by variation in the thickness of the discs - probably the fronts, and only microns difference.
    As the rotor turns you therefore get a variation in the force applied by the pads on the discs.

This is very common on a vehicle of this age. Machining can get rid of it, but it often returns quickly. Don't even think of getting rotors from Mits. they are extortionately expensive (about double the price) and probably are dba anyway. There are usually some good deals on ebay. You have to replace the pads even though they have plenty in them.

Oh, and while you are there, do wheel bearings as there is a chance that the wheel bearing can contribute to the problem.
    98 NL LWB with plenty on the wish list

Comment

Me, personally, I'd remove and skim/machine the rear rotors and not change the pads if they are still good.
      My years of experience has shown me NL's shudder due to warped rear rotors, more so if the rear pads have just been changed!

Comment

ive also had the shuddering thing, it was the rear's in mine.

Comment

I'm glad I was lucky with mine then!

I assumed it was the fronts as I could feel it through the steering wheel, so I ordered new rotors and pads and it is smooth as now.

If I have any further problem, I am glad I know to check the rears.

Comment

Originally posted by CRH View Post
            I'm glad I was lucky with mine then!

I assumed it was the fronts as I could feel it through the steering wheel, so I ordered new rotors and pads and it is smooth as now.

If I have any further problem, I am glad I know to check the rears.
            Doesnt sound lucky, my vibration was more through the car then the steering wheel, if it was really noticeable though the wheel i would have done the fronts aswell.

Comment

By lucky I mean I didn't do front rotors, bearings and pads only to find out it was the rears.
              It is hard enough justifying the cash to the boss, without her wondering why it didn't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by CRH View Post
                It is hard enough justifying the cash to the boss, without her wondering why it didn't fix it!
                "It got a little bit better, hasn't totally solved the problem yet."
                (then duck and run)
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X