95 4M40 timing chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 4M40 timing chain

What is the general consensus on timing chain replacement intervals for 4M40 motors?
    At 100K km my local Mits dealer recommended not changing the chain until it can be heard.http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...cons/icon5.gif
    Question
    Now with 250K on the clock I'm again questioning when should I have it replace? Also what other work should I have done at the same time?

Cheers.
    2010 NT D-ID

Within reason, the chain is designed to last the life of the engine - even when showing signs of wear its not likely to fail

Comment

Hi Kenno.
      Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption?
      Is the motor blowing black smoke when loaded?
      Is there a chattering comming from the front of the motor?
      If yes to the above, then i would change the chain.
      I would also fit new v belts , radiator hoses and flush the radiator and fill with new coolant.
      I was told that the chain will last the life of the motor , but since i replaced the chain it has eliminated black smoke, improved econemy and increased low down torque.
      My motor has done 295k .
      Hope this helps Cheers Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by robz View Post
        Hi Kenno.
        Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption?
        Is the motor blowing black smoke when loaded?
        Is there a chattering comming from the front of the motor?
        If yes to the above, then i would change the chain.
        I would also fit new v belts , radiator hoses and flush the radiator and fill with new coolant.
        I was told that the chain will last the life of the motor , but since i replaced the chain it has eliminated black smoke, improved econemy and increased low down torque.
        My motor has done 295k .
        Hope this helps Cheers Rob.
        Rob what was the parts and labour cost to get the chain done.

Mine has been showing the above symptoms for awhile and I have been hoping it wasn't the T.chain.
        NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Hi Rob
          Yes I do have some of those symptoms but mostly just the black smoke on large hills at high altitude.
          What was the cost for the timing chain replacement?

Cheers.
          2010 NT D-ID

Comment

Hi.
            The timing chain v belts radiator hoses and ancillaries cost about $200.
            I replaced it myself so labour was free.
            Took 2 days to do and was a bugger of a job.
            Cheers Rob.

Comment

Got 298,000 k and original chain. Had car since new.
              No rattles from chain.
              Boosted the turbo and stepped the fuel back on the pump, doesn't blow any smoke now, and has more power. ) EGT doesn't go above 700C with out a long hard hill and under 2200rpm on full throttle.

Do all belts and hoses and fuel injectors every 100,000k, and belts and hoses in between for a long trip. Try and do gearbox, TC and diff oils every 50,000k too. Check glow plugs when injectors are done.
              Brake fliud every 2 years or 50,000k, and replace the power steering fluid if it is looking a bit brown instead of a good red. Usual auto trans colours apply.
              Usually do fuel filter every 20,000k, so most probably due at 100,000k.
              I try and stage these over a few months, so some might get done 5000 early, some 5000 late.
              John C AKA oldplodder

1996 LWB - 2.8l turbo diesel

too many extras to list, who cares anyway,
              when they get a bit older just grateful it still goes OK.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X