Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What suspension components to replace

Hi all,

Im just after opinions as to what suspension components I should look at replacing to cure the wandering that my Pajero has.

Common ones seem to be idler arm, tie rods, ball joints, trailing arm bushes etc.
    I took the car to Pedders for a suspension check and Im not convinced they have it all right. What they noted on the check for things to replace are:

- Front / Rear shocks
    - Front Sway bar bushes
    - Rear spring dampers
    - Trailing arm bushes
    - Pan hard rod bushes / mounting

My aim is to replace worm items but obviously its a costly excercise. My first aim is to try and improve the wandering steering feel.

What should I be looking at first?

Thanks
    Last edited by tez; 24-11-07, 10:50 PM.

Originally posted by tez View Post
    Hi all,

Im just after opinions as to what suspension components I should look at replacing to cure the wandering that my Pajero has.

Common ones seem to be idler arm, tie rods, ball joints, trailing arm bushes etc.
    I took the car to Pedders for a suspension check and Im not convinced they have it all right. What they noted on the check for things to replace are:

- Front / Rear shocks
    - Front Sway bar bushes
    - Rear spring dampers
    - Trailing arm bushes

My aim is to replace worm items but obviously its a costly excercise. My first aim is to try and improve the wandering steering feel.

Thanks
    My NJ Pajero is also having a wandering problem, same as you, pedders told me to replace some as the same parts as you have listed, as well as the steering box. It's hard to know where to start.
    please let me know if you work it out, I will do the same
    NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

Maybe upper and lower ball joints too, if they are worn and you can't get grease into them they can stick and hold the wheels in a certain direction.
      Steele Perkins (#1263)
      NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

Originally posted by tez View Post
        Hi all,

- Front / Rear shocks
        - Front Sway bar bushes
        - Rear spring dampers
        - Trailing arm bushes

Thanks
        First, I'd be looking somewhere other than Pedders. Front sway bar bushes? Take the farkin' thing off if you like - it won't affect your steering (handling, yes - steering wander? )

What's the different between rear shocks and rear spring dampers?

Before we go too far, I'd like to know if you're running factory wheels or something aftermarket?

OK - what to look at? Loose balljoints (steering or suspension) can cause wandering - if these are an issue a mechanic should be able to show you the movement in them. If they can't show you the movement, don't accept that they need replacing.

Rear control arm bushes will make the rear end wander (Range Rovers are notorious for it), so they could be correct here. Start by checking the nuts securing the control arms at the chassis end - if these come loose the arms can move forward and back, so tightening them is a quick fix. If the bushes IN the control arms are worn they'll need to be pressed out/in.

For the last 5 years I've been taking my Paj to TyrePower stores - find one which does good trade in 4wd tyres, and get them to have a look at it.

Good luck,

Scott
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Shocks ? how many km's have they done ? can affect handling if absolutely buggered but wandering ?? Rear end bushes on a Paj? I reckon my panhard arm bushes are on the way out (rear axel moves side to side a bit now) but my NJ doesnt wander much at all for a 4by.

It did wander - replaced the idler arm (@ 130,000km) tightened the steering box, and got rid of some crap tyres and now it is quite acceptable.

Replace the cheap things first that can be demonstrated as being faulty (ie excessive movement - beyond acceptable service limits - idler or pitman arm or upper or/and lower ball joints etc).

DONT replace every thing at the same time - if you do you will have no clear idea which bit was actually causing the problem!!!

Being a slab sided vehicle - cross winds make every thing worse as far as wandering is concerned.

Good luck ! Mine (NJ GLX at 130,00km) was crap but now is quite a relaxing drive !!
          Lambie
          NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            What's the different between rear shocks and rear spring dampers?
            I think they would be refering to the 'dampner' type thing that sits in the rear coils - for when it bottoms out so its a bit more progressive i spose. Mine are nackered too, at $150 each its not on my list of things to do... but yet again would have no impact on a car wandering.

Comment

The best place to start would be to check the balljoints tierod ends idler arm and pitman arm. I had a bad wandering problem with my nh, if you hit a small puddle it would just about change lanes, i replaced all of the above and now if it hits a puddle you hardly notice. To check the lower ball joints place your jack under the lower control arm out near the wheel, to get the weight off the wheel but not allow the arm to drop, once the wheel is off the ground place a lever under the tyre and lift it up to feel for any movement up and down, but make sure that any movement felt is not in the wheel bearing, if in doubt get someone else to look while you move the wheel. The top ball joint is checked by rocking the top of the wheel in and out while still on the jack. As for the tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm the easiest way to check them is with both wheels on the ground get someone to rock the steering from side to side, in the freeplay with the engine of so there is no power assistance, just look under the front and you will be able to see if there is any excessive movement in anything. Something else that also causes wandering is excessive sector shaft freeplay, in the steering box, checked by the same method as the tierod ends but when checking hold the pitman arm while your helper is rocking the steering wheel and feel for any looseness in the box. the rear trailing arm bushes can also produce a wander but it is less likely than the front end i hope i have been some help

Comment

Do yourself a favour and find a suspension shop that knows what they're talking about.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X