Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrating noise from underneath vehicle when pulling off in 1st gear only

Hi Guys

I've recently purchased a 1999 Pajero Series 2 (not new shape)-Done-230.000k, regulary serviced all its life.

When i pull off in first gear i get a vibrating noise coming from underneath the truck i cant feel the vibration its just a noise, for about ten seconds then it disapears, it drives ok in the rest of the gears, it can get really loud sometimes when pulling off at the lights,just seems to happen in low revs thats why i think somethings loose or vibrating, i've also engaged all the 4WD modes & tried pulling off, just makes the same noise?

I've changed the oil,greased & checked all the CV joints & checked exhaust mounts plus took the front & underneath protection guards off as i know these can come loose & took for a test drive still the same bloody noise,plus checked all the underneath for any loose guard rails & bolts & found nothing.

Any suggestions

Rick Parry

Check the transfer case mount under the passenger seat, it may be shagged and it might be metal on metal. It's the mount off the chassis rail that looks like a circle with a bolt through the middle, very common to replace.

Originally posted by funkbeatsjazz View Post
    Hi Guys

I've recently purchased a 1999 Pajero Series 2 (not new shape)-Done-230.000k, regulary serviced all its life.

When i pull off in first gear i get a vibrating noise coming from underneath the truck i cant feel the vibration its just a noise, for about ten seconds then it disapears, it drives ok in the rest of the gears, it can get really loud sometimes when pulling off at the lights,just seems to happen in low revs thats why i think somethings loose or vibrating, i've also engaged all the 4WD modes & tried pulling off, just makes the same noise?

I've changed the oil,greased & checked all the CV joints & checked exhaust mounts plus took the front & underneath protection guards off as i know these can come loose & took for a test drive still the same bloody noise,plus checked all the underneath for any loose guard rails & bolts & found nothing.

Any suggestions

Rick Parry
    Steele Perkins (#1263)
    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

Ahhh, I'm having a similar trouble with my NG, thought it was the bash plate in contact with the transfer case but it wasn't so I'll be sure to check this next time I'm under the car.

Cheers,
      Greg
      1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Comment

Yeah, I have the same noise in my 97 NK, has been there since I picked it up 3 years ago, hasn't gotten any better, nor has it goten any worse.
        It sounds like it's a transmision thing rather than a knock of sorts.
        Noticable on takeoff and then fades away usually by the time your at 2000rpm.
        Not coming from engine bay, nor the rear of the vehicle, sounds like its coming from directly underneith.
        Sound like it ?
        "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

Thanks guys

Hi Guys

I'll have a look at the transfer case mounts over the weekend,its not getting any worse,Sounds as if its a common thing with the series 2,i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mr_grumble View Post
            Yeah, I have the same noise in my 97 NK, has been there since I picked it up 3 years ago, hasn't gotten any better, nor has it goten any worse.
            It sounds like it's a transmision thing rather than a knock of sorts.
            Noticable on takeoff and then fades away usually by the time your at 2000rpm.
            Not coming from engine bay, nor the rear of the vehicle, sounds like its coming from directly underneith.
            Sound like it ?
            Same for my 97 nk, also when im too lazy to down shift around corners, high gear low revs.

Comment

Hi Guys

I'll have a look at the transfer case mounts over the weekend,its not getting any worse,Sounds as if its a common thing with the series 2,i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your help.

Rick
              Yeah sure Rick, if you find anything that would explain the noise, let us know, definately a few ppl that will be interested.

Steve
              "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

Hi Guys

Any suggestions

Rick Parry
                Hi guys, I am wanting to revive this old thread, because I have the same issue. Did anyone resolve the problem? Mine is exactly as funkbeatsjazz describes. I've done all that he said and had tyres balanced etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. The mechanic says it's related to the harmonic balancer. The balancer doesn't start to work until over 1500 revs and it is above these revs that the noise dissappears. Mine is a 1999 NL Escape petrol.

Cheers
                Yarrum
                1999 NL Escape. EFS springs & shocks, bullbar, Cargo barrier. It's a tourer, not an off road monster.

Comment

Harmonic balancers work to stop the engine vibrations turn to its resonic frequency
                  I have done so much for so long with so little and now i can do so much more for much longer with my massive sidchrome tool box.

Comment

Vibration

Hi, I hav a 99 NL old shape and I am having a similar problem when I take off in first gear, mainly turning left I get a vibration which feels like something is slipping or shuddering, I spoke with driveshaft people and they suggested it may be a front wheel bearing but they seem fine, anyone got any ideas?

Mickymac
                    99 Nl Pajero, 31X10.5X15 Bridgestone duelers, TJM snorkel, TJM bullbar and flares.

Comment

just wondering if anyone resolved this noise yet? i think this could be the noise thats driving me insaneg, i keep looking for things it could be and replacing anything that looks like it could be sus, but there is still this one noise i cant find....

Comment

Originally posted by REDNUT View Post
                        just wondering if anyone resolved this noise yet? i think this could be the noise thats driving me insaneg, i keep looking for things it could be and replacing anything that looks like it could be sus, but there is still this one noise i cant find....
                        Hi Rednut,
                        It's driving you "insaneg" !! Is that a few steps beyond insane?
                        I haven't solved the issue. I tend to believe my mechanic who said it exists only before the harmonic balancer starts to work. I have tried everything. I've removed bash plates, removed the heat deflectors off exhaust pipe etc looking for what is vibrating. Nothing works. I've learnt to rev the motor a little higher on take off to avoid it. I know this doesn't work in every situation but it's enough to stop me from going 'insaneg'.

Yarrum
                        1999 NL Escape. EFS springs & shocks, bullbar, Cargo barrier. It's a tourer, not an off road monster.

Comment

A follow up to this post: I have just replaced the original bumper bar with a bull bar and the vibration/noise is gone - almost. When I took off, there was a vibration that caused a loud rattle/vibration. The original vibration (motor unbalance below 1500 rpm before harmonic balancer kicked in) is still there, but the annoying noise has gone. I didn't pick the noise coming from the bumper, but it must have had enough play to vibrate and rattle back through the chassis. So I have killed two birds with the one stone - vibration gone and the bullbar acts as a towel rack when camping.
                          Yarrum

Comment

Hi All,
                            I have just redone the the head gaskets and valve stem seals on mine!!
                            I had to pull the exhaust manifolds off. Once I put them back on,I now have that same noise when the take off, or if I rev the truck at stand still.
                            It sounds like it is comming from the muffler (Maybe loose baffels) I will take it down to the exhaust shop next week to see what he says. I never had the noise until I touched the exhaust!!
                            Steve.
                            There's Gold in them there hills

Comment

I have spend hours and hours trying to track my noise down. It is still there but much less and therefore less annoying. After 1500revs it disappears. Other than strapping myself under the car while my son drives I can't pin point it. So I'll live with the little noise I have. I have long suspected the exhaust system. Let me know it if you solve it for good.
                              Cheers
                              Yarrum

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X