Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission bug!

Hey guys

I'm having some issues with my recently acquired NJ 3.0 Paj's auto transmission. By way of background, i've given it the mother of all services, so mechanically it's pretty honest except for the tranny.....

Ordinarily the car performs very well. From time to time however I'll be in 'drive' and driving along at suburban speeds and push the accellerator and find the engine accellerates, but the car does not, ie, the transmission feels as though it's slipping.

Accellerating will provide a little bit of 'driving force', however 'slipping' is the best way of describing what's happening, as I look for somewhere safe to pull over. From the side of the road I can select reverse (which engages immediately it's selected), however when I select 'drive' again, there is no feeling of drive 'engaging', however if I then push the accellerator a little, the transmission does eventually start to provide some weak 'driving force', with some continued slip, until it then seems to 'bite' and normal drive seems to return. At this point I can even accellerate away with full power and there is no longer any slip evident at all!???!

After the first time this happened, I resolved to service and safely flush the transmission by a very very reputable transmission shop (I've known these guys for 10 years). These symptoms did not return for these guys, and they didn't return for several days, however as I was returning home from work this evening, the symptoms as described above returned. There is plenty of spotlessly clean, rosy oil in the tranny (first thing I checked.... yes... with the motor running), and the guys said that while the old oil was dark, there was no metalic residue in the pan.

Yes it seems worse when the car is hot, and these symptoms have never occurred when the engine is cold. The thermostat is a brand new aftermarket unit, and the guage always sits exactly on the half way mark.

Also, there are no nasty noises coming from the tranny, however when the engine is at operating temperature and I select 'drive', there is always a slight delay before it engages (I know this is not ideal).

So.... please guys, feel my pain, and those of your with experience / knowledge in this area I'd very much appreciate it if you can shed some light on this... Is the tranny faaarked, on the way out, saveable with some work (stitch in time??)?

cheers guys

G'day thumbz
    I have an NJ 3.0V6 auto and I will be watching this thread with great interest. My auto seems a bit jerky and the changes s t r e t c h out for a long time. When I can afford it I am getting the auto serviced. A poster advised me to do this. Do your changes take a long time to happen when your auto is functioning reasonably well?
    My brother has a manual landcruiser and he reckons the mitsubishi autos usually have a good reputation for strength and durability so I dunno?

Comment

Hey man
      No drawn out shifts from my tranny. Mate, I've gotta say that even if it means living on bread and water for the next month, for the time being you may have the choice to service or not to service, but unless your oil is perfectly clear and rosy in colour, or you haven't had it done for around 40,000km, get the tranny serviced and flushed (by someone who has a rep for actually knowing what they're doing... i've heard noises about disconnecting cooler lines and letting the engine run until all the oil is pumped out of the converter... this aint flushing!) to save yourself a $2.5k rebuild.... at a point in time where you'll have run out of choices!

I was able to get onto a couple of transmission shops today, and they were both baffled that there could be slip at some times and then full drive functionality at other times. One crew thought they'd start with the 'valve bank' (?), the other thought it was the 'forward clutch pack' (?). I like the former as it's meant to be waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the latter which means the $2.5k rebuild for it to be done properly.

Both transmission shops confirmed each others story about the 3 litre v6's autobox. Evidently it went behind cressidas, hiaces and a bunch of other stuff. Not to say that you can pull a tranny out of any of these and swap them over, as bell housing, electronics, splines, output shaft length etc will be different, but the basic mechanism meant to be the same. They also reckoned these transmissions were very good equipement, however even when serviced diligently, no machine lasts forever. Don't service it (especially bits as sensitive to grit / impurities / broken down oil as an auto box) and it obviously doesn't last anywhere near as well.

BTW: further to the fact that these boxes see service in all sorts of machines made by a variety of manufactuers, both of the businesses I spoke with today made a very articulate and utterly sensible case for any noise about needing to use Mitsu-brand ATF in these transmissions being complete [email protected]

Comment

G`Day RT,
        If you live around Brisbane then contact Bruce at Transwreck at Underwood 0738412197 because he quoted me $1800 for a full rebuilt autobox and that included a 12/20 warranty.
        Regards SeaDog

Comment

Ta SeaDog, seems like all the good shops/service options are up there! Alas i'm in Melbourne... I might give'em a call and have a chat about options tho
          thumbz

Comment

Originally posted by RealThumbz View Post
            Hey man
            No drawn out shifts from my tranny. Mate, I've gotta say that even if it means living on bread and water for the next month, for the time being you may have the choice to service or not to service, but unless your oil is perfectly clear and rosy in colour, or you haven't had it done for around 40,000km, get the tranny serviced and flushed (by someone who has a rep for actually knowing what they're doing... i've heard noises about disconnecting cooler lines and letting the engine run until all the oil is pumped out of the converter... this aint flushing!) to save yourself a $2.5k rebuild.... at a point in time where you'll have run out of choices!

I was able to get onto a couple of transmission shops today, and they were both baffled that there could be slip at some times and then full drive functionality at other times. One crew thought they'd start with the 'valve bank' (?), the other thought it was the 'forward clutch pack' (?). I like the former as it's meant to be waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the latter which means the $2.5k rebuild for it to be done properly.

Both transmission shops confirmed each others story about the 3 litre v6's autobox. Evidently it went behind cressidas, hiaces and a bunch of other stuff. Not to say that you can pull a tranny out of any of these and swap them over, as bell housing, electronics, splines, output shaft length etc will be different, but the basic mechanism meant to be the same. They also reckoned these transmissions were very good equipement, however even when serviced diligently, no machine lasts forever. Don't service it (especially bits as sensitive to grit / impurities / broken down oil as an auto box) and it obviously doesn't last anywhere near as well.

BTW: further to the fact that these boxes see service in all sorts of machines made by a variety of manufactuers, both of the businesses I spoke with today made a very articulate and utterly sensible case for any noise about needing to use Mitsu-brand ATF in these transmissions being complete [email protected]
            The 5sp job is really fussy with the atf used - before that didnt seem to be an issue. I would have thought for it to lock up all clutch packs at times, that would eliminate them to some degree, and the issue would lie in the valve body?? This is wat my logic tells me anyway, but further then that though i have no idea...

Comment

ta for sharing sensible opinion 6G74. The auto shop I left it with today attached various pressure guages and took the time to put 30km on the clock trying to get the symptoms to re-appear, and naturally the symptoms stayed well hidden. After this testing, listening, scratching and sniffing with the benefit of lots and lots of experience, they ultimately sent me and the Paj home with advice to replace the wafer thin, rubbery shifter bushes which m'bishi enjoys taking the p!ss with at $31 for two, and some assurance that given the way it performed for them, it seems very unlikely to be a tranny on the way out.... YAY for that, but we shall see.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X