Small concern with the Beasty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small concern with the Beasty.

I have noticed an oil leak coming out of the small pipe from the wastegate to the turbo. I took it to the mechanic I go to and he said there is two possible reasons, one is the oil return lines are blocked or there is a seal gone letting through the oil.

What could be the possible reasons and what would I be looking at for repairs dollar wise?

It seems to be only covering the oil filter and return pipe from the turbo, nothing up high as in rocker cover or head etc. There is some misty covering over the intake pipes from I'm assuming the leak being thrown around by air circulation, top of the motor area is dry.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after talking to 3 different places it seems the seal is gone. No one in Coffs will fix it, rather they all send them away to either Garrett in Sydney or to Dynamics? in Newcastle to fix. And neither will just replace the seal if they see anything else that may cause problems down the track.

What I need to know is does anyone have an exploded diagram of the turbo to show me what is where on it.

I'm told from one place it's a ceramic seal and needs special equipment to fit. And I don't have up to $1300 to repair it just like that. Not with a possible house move next week.

Where can I look to getting maybe a reconditioned one cheap or someone to do a fix on it without having to sell the first born?

And of course it has to happen leading up to bloody christmas time doesn't it.

Dead cats have better luck than me.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

This might help.

http://slsperformance.com/forum/foru...p?TID=152&PN=1

Just be sure it's not the turbo oil feed pipe. They tend to wear around a bracing bracket to the block just behind the turbo.

$47 for new feed tube plus $1each for the four copper washers. About an hour to change over due to it's near impossible to get your fingers in there let alone a spanner.
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Thanks for that, I can see the way it's set up now. Think I'll just have to pay the dollars and either fix it or replace it. Just got told the house is ours so got removers cost to pay as well.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
          Thanks for that, I can see the way it's set up now. Think I'll just have to pay the dollars and either fix it or replace it. Just got told the house is ours so got removers cost to pay as well.

Cheer up... least you can still drive yours and can live with an oil leak here and there. Think of it as a temporary Land Rover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaydee View Post
            Cheer up... least you can still drive yours and can live with an oil leak here and there. Think of it as a temporary Land Rover.
            I don't want a Landy.

The oil leak is getting worse, it's going through the intercooler now. It's definatly coming from the turbo itself, it's just a bad time for it to happen.

I asked out of curiousity at the local Mitsy dealer how much for a turbo..........$3118.

So much for that idea.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

HA! that price should be illegal
              I asked Mits for a price on a distributor for the paj, $1800 - i hung up without sayig another word.

I have a Volvo S40 T4 and the oil return line seal costs $30, needs to be replaced every 80,000kms (i thought volvo were ripoffs with their service and parts)

Try a turbo workshop in your local area... this would be a common practice.

ps. It is completly normal for an intercooler to have oil inside it, just as long as it's not pooling inside a pipe... if thats happening your charger is on it's last legs.
              UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
              $6500

Comment

There's no one in Coffs that touches turbos, they all send them away. There's not much oil it seems in the ic pipes probably about a tablespoon give or take from both the inlet and outlet.

Most of it is spraying over the oil filter, but it's hard trying to get a good look around in there to see where it's coming from exactly.

My mechanic is moving workshop this week and going in on thursday for a knee operation so he can't do much to help me. And being christmas means everyone's flat out to finish for the year.

Plus we have to move house this week and I can't use the Paj because of the oil problem. A trip of 50 k's or so sees the oil go from being full on the dip to showing none.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                  My mechanic is moving workshop this week and going in on thursday for a knee operation so he can't do much to help me. And being christmas means everyone's flat out to finish for the year.
                  I'm twiddling my thumbs only because my diesel's in bits awaiting stuff but you'd need a 44 drum of oil to get here.

Comment

I had another play around today and found the play in the bearings is pretty bad. It's going to be fairly expensive to have rebuilt now.

Oh well I'll have to keep looking for a replacement, until after christmas then when everyone is back working I may get it rebuilt.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

After a lot of running around and emailing people who never contacted me back I got it fixed.

$1600 later that is. But she's up and running and going well again, which makes me happy even if it took every cent we had for the fortnight.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I would of thought it would have been easy (and cheap) to get your hands on a replacement TD04 (as they are a fairly common turbo - and often ditched by those seeking more power). But then again your in Coff's and im in Perth.

Good to hear you got it fixed though.

Cheers,
                        Jayden
                        NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

You'd think that but I had no luck getting hold of one. I even had to wait for a replacement core to come into the country as it was.

I couldn't get a definite yes to any old TD04 fitting without dramas so just went without food for a fortnight to get it fixed with a new core replacement.

I think I may have shagged the injectors running so long with the turbo giving problems, so I'll have to get them looked at next.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X