Help? Sick car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? Sick car.

Fingers crossed someone has more of an idea than I do. On a 3ltr petrol motor (paj) the firing order is 1 2 3 4 5 6, but what does each cylender number corospond to? It seems that the firing order in my Paj is not correct.

Thanks

Would be the only motor I know of that fires in ascending sequence... most 6 cylinders are 135462

on the V6 the right bank front cylinder 1 and are odd numbers so they're 135
    left bank cylinders are even 246

On the dizzy cap I think it's 9'oclock is number one plug lead and then rotates anticlockwise.
    'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

thanks - is my partner asking - not me - im just the internet dummy! Ha ha. apprently it's not 100% (seems ok to me)... Is it (no 1) on the right when you stand at front of car and look or otherwise? (does that make sense?)

are you saying the firing sequence OH mentions is incorrect - he is adament that is the order. I read it that what i wrote was wrong and that you suggested the actual firing order of my car is 135462 - read it out to him and he swears the book says 123456 and that he is correct.

Thanks so much for your response!

Comment

No, the distributor caps are deceptive.
        They do not fire in rotating (visual) order, although the rotor connects to each contact internally in order, on the outside it goes first through internal crossovers to plug lead positions that are not in the same order.

The firing order you mention is correct though

Comment

Originally posted by Loco View Post
          They do not fire in rotating (visual) order, although the rotor connects to each contact internally in order, on the outside it goes first through internal crossovers to plug lead positions that are not in the same order.
          I often wonder what the noodles pushing the drafting pencil are taking when they design stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by erin993 View Post
            thanks - is my partner asking - not me - im just the internet dummy! Ha ha. apprently it's not 100% (seems ok to me)... Is it (no 1) on the right when you stand at front of car and look or otherwise? (does that make sense?)

are you saying the firing sequence OH mentions is incorrect - he is adament that is the order. I read it that what i wrote was wrong and that you suggested the actual firing order of my car is 135462 - read it out to him and he swears the book says 123456 and that he is correct.
            Then I guess the book is right for sequence... most 6 cyl motors fire as I said...

RHS bank as in to your left when standing in front of the car facing the motor... or RHS as sitting in the front seat of the cabin.

Comment

No. 1 is first on left when lookiing at front of motor.

Comment

how many km's on the car?
                if the engine feels like it's really missing a cyl (eg. misfiring every 1/2 second or so) then I would perform a compression test

if it's too much hassle doing a compression test then take one ignition lead off the distributor at a time while the engine is at idle (bearing in mind that serious voltage comes out of the distributor, don't touch the car body while doing this, and do it with pliers). When you take a lead off the distributor the engine should drop revs and become more unstable, do this for all leads apart from the middle lead which is coil cable... if you get to a lead that you have taken off and there is no difference in engine speed/sound/stability then you have a cylinder that is not firing........ could be dud spark plug, faulty injector etc or bad cylinder (engine re-built time)

hope this helps

btw the firing order for the 6g72 is 1,2,3,4,5,6
                UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
                $6500

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys... I have put a pic below of the distributor cap - need to know which plug is meant to go where. Doesn't say anywhere in the book and still can't figure out what seems to be wrong. Has been suggested perhaps have been hooked up wrong. Have replaced all spark plugs (and it was required) but car still seems to be mis-firing and also running very rich. Any help to identify the correct connections or what else may be wrong with my beloved paj greatly appreciated!
                  Attached Files

Comment

the red circles represent the little holes where the spark plugs go - kinda need someont to join in the missing lines... he he...

Comment

Thought came to me...... check the inside of the dizzy cap and make sure there's no white stuff on the terminals and rotor. That'd cause stumbling or misfires. Clean it if there is.

No 1. plug is at 9'oclock
                      No 2 plug is at 7'oclock

just keep going until you run out of leads working anti clockwise.

Running rich could be blocked air filter.... or the computer getting the wrong water temperature signal.... told it's colder than it really is so compensating with more fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco View Post

The firing order you mention is correct though
                        just found that out with my 92 pajero today... your spot on.....

Comment

hey i just did my timing belton my 3ltr g672 and ive got the cams at TDC and crank also at TDC got the car running but no matter how i move the distributor the bloody thing runs rough as... didnt do this before the belt change???? thought it was plugs but guess not after replacing all 6.. hope someone has an idea of what this could be. my bro also checked the leads and there fine....

Comment

Belt may be one tooth out, did you turn the motor over at least 2 times then make sure the marks line up.
                            Rick
                            Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                            New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

thanks for your reply... yes i have checked to see if the cams and crank all line up a lot of times and they do... right hand bank is maybe 2mm off but thats all...

would you know if this engine has a oxygen sensor? ive been told if it does have one it maybe that..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X