Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL MAF Sensor

Hi All,
    I have a 98 NL petrol and when I bought it, there was a K&N air filter in it.
    I have read some bad reports on these affecting the MAF Sensor, so I am considering going back to standard filter as the MAF is $800!!
    Can you clean the MAF with a carby cleaner type product and is it the unit plugged into the top of the intake just after the filter.

Cheers.
    98 NL LWB with plenty on the wish list

Provided the filter is kept clean and oiled (and there isnt excessive oil on the filter) i cant think of any reason as to how it could damage the afm. Has the box been removed or is it just a replacement for the standard filter? The afm sits a few centimetres from the airbox and has a square top on it.

Comment

Yes, it is just a replacement element type that fits the existing box.

I have seen tests where a second filter after the K&N allowed stuff through.
      K&N said it wasn't dust, it was oil. If this is the case, that is not good for the MAF sensor.

Comment

I've seen air flow metres die within days after being cleaned... I cleaned mine with carby cleaner some 2 years ago, no problems yet, better economy, got rid of the surging down low etc. If you think oil or dust is coming through, change it.

Comment

The "effect " you are questioning was something about disruptive airflow as I understood. K&N did a Mitsubishi MAF compatible specific version. Do a check on their website for the right model number

Comment

The Compatible version that K&N came up for the MAF Sensor was so that the Air flowed through evenly and not in a twirl. Also this is a Pod style and not a direct replacement Filter. This also does not fix the issue of oil entering into the MAF Sensor.

I have had 2 Mitsirs with MAF sensors and both have had K&N filters and never found it that much of a threat to the Sensor. If you keep it oiled how 6G74 quoted, then I wouldn't see any threat either.

Personally, I would rather use staright alcohol or Metho rather than carby cleaner with a ear bud dipped in and just softly clean off any dirt or oil on the sensor rahter than soaking it with chemicals.
            NJ Shortie 3ltr
            ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

Also further to the cleaning of air flow metres... its strange that they should need it, as far as i know, all afm have a self cleaning process where a voltage of usually 5v is applied to the sensor when the ignition is turned off for a few seconds, in an effort to burn off any unwanted matter or films.

Perhaps this isnt completely effective?

Comment

Further to MAFs needing to be cleaned, I have a friend with an M5 and it is a common problem for them to require MAF cleaning and can cause huge performance losses.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X