6G74 engine, pajero or magna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6G74 engine, pajero or magna

I believe my engine in a Pajero 3.5lt NL is a 6G74.

I have been told the pajero engine is unique to pajero's.

I have been doing some research on the net and think maybe the pajero and magna use the same engine.

I recently did some extensive damage to mine and need to either 1) re-bore, oversize pistons. 2) Recondition engine. 3) 2nd hand engine.

My questions are? Am i able to drop a magna engine in?

And has anyone done a re-bore and oversize pistons and what did it set you back.

Was covered recently, Check out the link below.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=1134
    2002 NM 3.2DiD GLS

Comment

Shaneo,
      I drive a 95 NJ 3.0Ltre Paj, just before xmas I put a Magna 3.0Ltre 6G72 motor into my Paj. There is a massive difference in price beween the two motors, roughly about $1000.
      I find the Magna motor runs smoother, I'm on duel fuel, & runs more fuel efficient, (but then again my old Paj motor was pretty shagged), Deffinatly I now have more power.
      When changing over the motor, my machanic had to change everything over. The only part of the Magna motor used was the block & heads. He had to change sump, oil pick up, water pump, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, rocker covers, injection system etc, I mean everything must be changed over.
      But I still saved massive amounts of money with the labour spent, compared to buying a second hand Paj motor.
      Shop around for a machanic to do the job!
      If you live in Melb. give D&J Sevice Centre in Hallam a call, Ph8795 7755. I have been using him for yrs as a machanic. He also drives a Paj himself. Also give Auto Salvage Wreckers in Greens Road Dandenong for a price on a Magna motor.

Shaneo, all I can say is the 6G72 3.0ltre Magna motor fits into a Paj, & I have no complaints at all about its performence. I'm guessing the 6G74 3.5ltre Magna will also fit into the Paj. Give Auto Salvage Wreckers a call in Greens Road Dandenong, & ask them, they seem to have a lot of information about all Mitsubishi cars.

Hope this can help you
      Stuart
      NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

What about the fact that the Magna uses a distributor, and the NL uses a coil pack?
        do you just 'block' the hole. (is this where the distributor 'plugs in' ?

Can I take a set of heads from say a 2003 3.5 magna and put them on my NL 3.5L Pajero motor?

cheers
        Ashley
        2011 White NT GL - Goes fast because it is an ex cop car

The usual crap : Smartbar , Winch, Bushskinz , Traction control mod with rear diff lock,2 inch lovells, raw 46mm monotube shocks, 20c egr fix, cheap arse ebay roof bars. too much rubbish and tools in the back. Sand on floor mats.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
          What about the fact that the Magna uses a distributor, and the NL uses a coil pack?
          do you just 'block' the hole. (is this where the distributor 'plugs in' ?

Can I take a set of heads from say a 2003 3.5 magna and put them on my NL 3.5L Pajero motor?

cheers
          Ashley
          on the pajero they have a alloy plate that bolts into the hole also they have a pick up on the cam gear or the rear of the cam for the timing. if using magna heads best to swap everything over
          95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

Thanks for the info
            My heads need a recon.

I can source a set of magna heads easily, while pajero heads are harder/more expensive.

I gather I simply transfer the entire heads over (heads cams etc)
            after transfer of cam position sensor?

Do I use the Magna cam? or do I have to swap the cams?

I wonder how well the ecu will cope with the different cam timing......

The usual crap : Smartbar , Winch, Bushskinz , Traction control mod with rear diff lock,2 inch lovells, raw 46mm monotube shocks, 20c egr fix, cheap arse ebay roof bars. too much rubbish and tools in the back. Sand on floor mats.

Comment

you need to change the cams over as well
              95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

i really dont think its worth all the effort to convert the magna v6 to suit the pajero v6. i would go for the short engine reco and also you can buy good aftermarket heads at under 1/2 the price of genuine heads.
                NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

The reason I was wanting to use magna cams was because the ones I can get dont have many km on them, and mine have done 300 000, and are probably a little worn.

I am up for a head recon anyway to fix valve guides/stem seals, hence looking at putting a magna head on in the first place

I also wouldnt mind a little more power.
                  My engine is 140kw,
                  a magna vrx (std magna with a better muffler is 163kw)
                  this is around 17% more power.

I assume most of this is gained with a different cam profile

I have extractors and a free flowing exhaust, and a higher compression ratio.
                  (magna 9.0, pajero 9.5)

So what if I loose a small amount of low end power, being auto, it revs its box off every time i floor it anyway.

If I dont like the way it runs, I can always put a set of pajero cams in anyway.

hmmmmm magna ralliart cams 180kw?
                  Last edited by Ashley; 09-04-08, 03:14 PM.

Comment

So,
                    can a magna cam be used?

if not, why?

cheers
                    Ashley

Comment

bump........ anyone?

Comment

Ok,
                        I have sourced a (relatively) low km magna engine.
                        I got everything in front (or should that be beside as it is a fwd) of the gearbox.

It has done 95k (my paj has done 300k)
                        the intention is to transfer all the extras over.
                        eg mounts, water pump if different, manifolds etc.
                        I assume my manifolds should fit.

I am hoping that where the dizzy is, is the same as where the cam angle sensor for my motor plugs in.

I would like to use as much of this motor as possible, as it is a lot newer than my tired old one.
                        (not rooted, just well past its best after a lot of towing, and badly in need of some new valve stem seals)

Obviously, I will do the plugs/cam belt before it goes in.

As for tune. I believe the magna cam is a bit different to the paj one.
                        If necessary, I have an emanage I can wire in to tune.
                        Paj is 140kw, the magna was 155/163kw.
                        I already have extractors and a high flow muffler.

Any idea if the injectors are the same size/flow?
                        (again, I would like to use the newer ones if possible)

If anyone can see any problems, please jump in.........

Comment

hi ash

just woundering how you went with the swap?

ive cooked the engine in my nm and im looking at getting a magna engine as there cheaper and easier to find (if they fit)
                          mines a 6g74

cheers
                          ronny

Comment

7g74

Hi Ronny

Not to sure how much difference there is between the 6G74 in the NL and the NM but check out the thread link below.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9075

Tom
                            Last edited by tomwithannl; 14-07-11, 11:16 AM. Reason: 666g74
                            1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                            1953 Morris Minor ute
                            1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                            2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
                            2003 Ford Transit

Comment

How did you go Ashley - did you use the emanage ? Has anyone toyed with cams and a greddy emanage on a 3.5 6g74 ?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X