Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Diesel

Hey guys,

Are these 2.8 diesel motors any good? Im looking at a 3.2 04 - 05 Pajero but have seen a few of the smaller ones around at good prices just wanting opinions pls?

Thanks...Adam

I've got a Turbo 2.8 and it's done 248 000 without any problems, I do service it religiously though.
    2002 NM 3.2DiD GLS

Comment

Originally posted by t-man View Post
      Are these 2.8 diesel motors any good?
      The biggest achillies heal is the aluminium head. They don't survive in a cycling of never quite getting hot then cool down never getting hot etc.

So if it's REALLY low k's to average expected leave it as most likely (unless it's been in storage) had that cycling which creates a time bomb. Which I'm fixing with mine with only 170 something thousand k's.

Bit more boost and tuned, open up the exhaust and they'll party. Well mine did.
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Originally posted by Jaydee View Post
        The biggest achillies heal is the aluminium head. They don't survive in a cycling of never quite getting hot then cool down never getting hot etc. [1]:
        I think the problem with the head can be overcome with regular changing and flushing of coolant, But problem is when they are second hand you don't know how often this has been done before you buy it
        2002 NM 3.2DiD GLS

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
          I think the problem with the head can be overcome with regular changing and flushing of coolant
          Not sure I'd subscribe to that idea.

Comment

Have to agree with the comment about the head being the weakest link, I have changed mine once (at 240,000kms) it was cracked in 6 places. I have now got 410,000kms on the clock and it's using water again with the familiar smell in the exhaust of burnt anti-freeze.
            Barnes

Comment

T-Man ,

if you can afford the 3.2 diesel I'd be realy tempted to go with it - more grunt and better fuel economy ( $1.52 a litre for diesel in central Gippsland yesterday - youch!!)

I have the 2.8 and it goes OK. Towing nothing expect around 11 l/100km ( best I've managed is 10.25) and towing light a tralier about 13 l/100km and then the camper about 14 to 16l/100km.

I let the 3.2l owners make their own comments about fuel economy.

Longgevity wise - service, service ,service - if it hasn't got the book stamped to show its service life give it the flick and look at the next.

My NJ 2.8 ITD had its injectors done at 120K and now seems to be blowing a bit more soot than it should at nearly 170K - hmmmm.

My experience so far with diesels is that while cheaper to fuel ( did I get that bit right???) they are MUCH more expensive to keep running well (services, injectors etc etc)

Buy whats right for you and get out there and have FUN !! - before fuel prices make a weekends camping a special occasion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Cheers, Lambie
              NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

[QUOTE=Jaydee;9325]The biggest achillies heal is the aluminium head. They don't survive in a cycling of never quite getting hot then cool down never getting hot etc.

Hmmmmm - what exactly do you mean by the comment by "never quite getting hot" .
                If the temp guage come up to normal then I would expect that the head is hot??
                - or are you by your comment suggesting that until you have climbed a 5km hill with a tonne on behind the head is "cool"???

Can you explain further please??
                Lambie
                NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Originally posted by Lambie View Post
                  Hmmmmm - what exactly do you mean by the comment by "never quite getting hot" .
                  If the temp guage come up to normal then I would expect that the head is hot??
                  You answered your own question. If normal is hot then anytime the temp gauge shows less than normal it wouldn't quite be hot ? Too easy hey ?

Not getting hot would be when driving from a cold start to shop/school/friends that are not far away and other frequent short trips where the motor doesn't fully warm up.

My car would take a km @60km/hr to register normal on the temp gauge. So for me driving downtown is a short trip and the head in mine wouldn't be quite hot enough. Burn your hand if you touched it though.

Originally posted by Lambie View Post
                  My NJ 2.8 ITD had its injectors done at 120K and now seems to be blowing a bit more soot than it should at nearly 170K - hmmmm
                  You need your injection pump tuned ($?)or new seals (about $600)

Comment

Interesting theory on the hot cycling. My NM 2.8 ITD has 100000kms on the clock and has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Nil problems in 6 years of ownership. Mine does 17kms each way to work each day, and suspect that is fully warmed up. 2 mates of mine have 2.8 Pajeros which their wives use as shopping trollys and school buses. Both have had problems with the Heads, but both have done nearly twice as much work as mine...
                    NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                    NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

I should of added, I would not hesitate to buy a NM 2.8 Diesel again. Ok, it is slow compared to the 3.2, but it does drive nicely, tows my 1 Tonne Camper acceptably and is relatively fuel effiecient. 10 litres on the above mentioned home to work run, 10~11 on the highway w/out towing and about 14 towing the camper. My NS Shorty DID is running similar economy figures, on the dash display anyway.
                      NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                      NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

Is the 2.8 your talking about the 4m40?
                        Matt

TOTTIE the Blue Paj
                        '02 NM Exceed, Lovells shocks and springs 2" lift, 32" Maxxis Bighorns MTs, ARB bull bar, 9500lb Warn winch with rope, snorkel, Lightforce driving lights, diff breathers, TJM sump & trannie bash plates, UHF, GPS, doovalackkies, fire exstinguisher, Rhino Rack & tray, Dual Batteries, whatchamicallits, Fourby Fitouts rear storage system, Engel 40L, fold down table, extractors

Comment

Originally posted by Rexy View Post
                          Is the 2.8 your talking about the 4m40?
                          Rrroger that rubber ducky
                          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaydee View Post
                            My car would take a km @60km/hr to register normal on the temp gauge. So for me driving downtown is a short trip and the head in mine wouldn't be quite hot enough. Burn your hand if you touched it though.

Mine gets to normal operating temperature in less than a km, I suspect maybe your thermostat is not working correctly?
                            2002 NM 3.2DiD GLS

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                              Mine gets to normal operating temperature in less than a km, I suspect maybe your thermostat is not working correctly?
                              Hmm... your suspicions could be right except that I replaced the one in mine less than six months ago and was working well until I cracked the head on the motor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X