Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water crossing

hey guys,
    i have a 3.5l nl gls and was interested to know the deepth of water i might be able to sink it in (creek crossing) not really interested in mitsubishi spec. i'd like to know what other paj. owners think is aceptable or have done.
    or is there any thing i should do to my paj. to get it ready for some deeper crossings. we are looking at going to cape york /gulf country this year for our family getaway. will be traveling with a desiel land crusier but i'd rather not need his help if possible (it's a pajero pride thing ) thanks!!!

I have been in water half way from the windscreen. Was a scary moment but did manage to pull through. take in mind that I had a snorkel to accomidate for that height. Always make sure that either of you would have a winch or a strap, just incase water does enter where it's not supposed to.

A snorkel would be very handy as well as a Diff Breather Extenders for the Rear, Also Making sure that your Firewall is pretty sealed. You don't want Water comming into the Cabbin too much.

A option to put a plate infront of the radiator grill or a tarp of some kind to reduce the water entering into the engine bay and not damage the Radiator Fan or you could purchase a Water crossing Bra. these are only affective when crossing and not stopping, as water would fill up and would be hard to come back out with the plate on

Thats all I could think of for the time being.
    Last edited by MITSIR; 04-01-08, 10:28 AM.
    NJ Shortie 3ltr
    ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by bigbear View Post
      any thing i should do to my paj. to get it ready for some deeper crossings. we are looking at going to cape york /gulf country this year for our family getaway.
      Depends on your definition of 'deep' and how much playing submarines you plan on.

Most vehicle can handle a swim so long as you're thinking about what your doing and take precautions.

Snorkels are a great investment however a cheaper option is a good tarp.

A mate of mine swam his stock v8 county across the Jardine R with nothing more than a good tarp over the motor before the crossing was dredged so it was way too deep to swim a vehicle and left no choice but to pay for the punt. Admittingly he had from the windscreen to the bottom of the bullbar covered to trap a bubble of air under it.

So long as you tarp it up you'll get most places.
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

thanks for the input guys. half way up the windsreen is propably a tad deeper than i was thinking, but very impressive!! have had a little trouble locating snorkel to suit nl petrol gls. can i buy bends and pipe and make one?
        as for the fire wall mine is stock and seems very tight at all gromets, thanks guys

Comment

I've had water at the bonnet with the snorkel fitted. Take a look to see where your intake ends up. My NK ended right behind the front grille - not a great place if you want to go swimming.
          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbear View Post
            have had a little trouble locating snorkel to suit nl petrol gls. can i buy bends and pipe and make one?
            If want function over appearance you could buy 75mm steam pipe and make one up.
            'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

I have got a 92 NH LWB 3.0 V6 and have recently taken in through the High Country. I haven't got a snorkel yet ( top of the list now) but I was going through water which was to the top of the tyres. The problem I had that it was a bit of a lottery if the vehicle would get through. Sometimes I had no issues, other times the vehicle would stall and I had to get pulled out. The vehicle would start immediately once out of the water .
              Tried disconnecting the electric cooling fan to avoid spray, (viscous fan still running) tried spraying high voltage electrics with lanotec but with little effect, tried different speeds.
              Has anyone had similar issues with a petrol and resolved the problem?
              Carpets nice and smelly now - need to clean them up!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X