Where has my oil gone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where has my oil gone???

G'day all, the weather has started to warm up in the capital, so I thought it was a good time to give the old girl a quick inspection, (97 nk, 3.5). Was horrified to discover no oil on the dip stick and top of the radiator bone dry. 3.5 litres of oil got her to desired level + 2 litres of water. last serviced at 190k, now done 198k. Sump plug and washer intact with no leaks there, no oil around filter, no oil on garage floor and no smoke while driving (valve stem seals 18 months ago). Due for big service next month. Any suggestions on where to look, possible causes??????

ouch! slowly burning oil and you're not noticing it?? I've seen older engines get some gunk around where the dip stick goes in (inside the block), preventing the dip stick from reaching oil that is actually in the motor.... probably unlikely on engine of this age tho.

Comment

Had you not said your valve stem seals had been recently done, that would have been my first surgestion. Basically if you cant see any external leaks, for that amount of oil it has to be internal, be it past the rings or valve stem seals. Unless of course it was never filled properly to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by 6G74 View Post
        Had you not said your valve stem seals had been recently done, that would have been my first surgestion. Basically if you cant see any external leaks, for that amount of oil it has to be internal, be it past the rings or valve stem seals. Unless of course it was never filled properly to begin with.
        It was filled to capacity according to the specs, smidge under 5 lt from memory. And of course checking the level every few days afterwards to make sure. Also of concern is the fact no warning lights came on, probably all blown, and oil pressure gauge was showing normal.

Comment

There are no oil related lights, just the gauge - which isn't the best of ideas. Sell it...

Comment

sell it.... thanks for your opinion 6g74, i'll investigate further

Comment

Interesting...

I did my engine about a month and a half ago, bearings, piston rings and reconditioned heads (NH 3L). I have just returned from a trip down the coast and found to my great annoyance that the oil consumption is still high. Have gone through 3-4 litres in probably less than 4000 kms! I never go anywhere without a can of oil in the back though so have topped up regularly.

Assuming all the work done is ok it leaves me with a clogged PCV valve as a potential reason. After discovering the high consumption i let it idle for a good while (engine good and warm) before pushing the accelerator. There is none of the blue smoke, which would come out in huge quantities if doing the above test before the valve stem seals were done.

Instead there is a slight blackish smoke when revving it hard. This smoke, however, does not linger like the blue smoke and is pretty much gone when the engine returns to idle.

Another thing i've found is that every time i check the dipstick it has been pushed up slightly (so that it's not sealing at the top of the tube). I make sure that I always push it firmly down, and the seal appears to be sealing well against the top of the tube. Still, it will always work itself up as if there was a higher gas pressure inside the crankcase.

Any thoughts on this? Could it be the same issue as actpaj is having?

Comment

I remember on my 3 litre when checking the oil on the dipstick that you basically got two reading on either side of the dipstick. Was told to believe the lower level. Also the 3ltre is well known for using oil regardless of valve seals etc. Just some will use more than others!
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by kfet View Post

I did my engine about a month and a half ago, bearings, piston rings and reconditioned heads (NH 3L). I have just returned from a trip down the coast and found to my great annoyance that the oil consumption is still high. Have gone through 3-4 litres in probably less than 4000 kms! I never go anywhere without a can of oil in the back though so have topped up regularly.

Instead there is a slight blackish smoke when revving it hard. .

Another thing i've found is that every time i check the dipstick it has been pushed up slightly (so that it's not sealing at the top of the tube).

Any thoughts on this?
                  Black smoke is nothing.... just over fueling.

4ltrs in 4000km is a bit much.

Depends on how you set up the clearances and run refreshed motors in as to whether they use oil.

I have always used running in (monograde) oil in the first 1500km and try to run them in in two long trips towing something heavy so there's something to load the motor against.

If the rings don't seat properly (either through not loading the motor up or bores weren't honed properly) then there's blow-by and you get crankcase pressure which can do all sorts of funny things like push the oil checkstick out of the tube. Can also allow oil to become sucked into the inlet manifold and cause pinging.

Just so you have an idea the most oil one engine I rebuilt was a blue 202 and it used 1ltr in 300km but I was giving it a fair howl as we were late. Doesn't use anything noticable between the changes and runs like a clock.
                  'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

I once had a Mazda which was leaking oil into the radiator hence no oil in engine. As a result it pushed the water out the overflow cause was a faulty $2.00 "O" ring inside head which sealed the oil journal from the pump. It was also a V6 so it cost me about $2500 to replace a $2.00 part. Not sure if its possible on a pajero but worth a look.

Cheers
                    Adrian
                    NW Pajero VR-X
                    Currently stock

Comment

Hmmm...

It was actually a mechanic (60 years old so should have plenty of experience!) who honed the cylinders and put the rings on the pistons and pistons back in. I would hope that he knew what he was doing. I didn't personally get around to checking any clearances, just took his words that it'd be ok.

But a faulty PCV system is listed as the number 3 cause in the checklist for excessive oil consumption. I'm crossing my fingers for this one! Just need to get it checked....

I did drive it quite carefully for the first 1000kms, trying to use a range of revs. But i certainly didn't load it... only commuted to work with an empty car.

Hope I can find a solution to this as i don't think I could drive as far as sydney - Brisbane now without topping up the oil. Which is a slight hassle...

But yes, with no obvious blue smoke i am a little puzzled as to where the oil disappears to.

As I don't normally get onto any motorways I've been thinking that cruising at 120 may have had something to do with the increased consumption. I will certainly monitor it to see if the consumption stabilises now that i'm back to work commuting...

Comment

Originally posted by kfet View Post

It was actually a mechanic (60 years old so should have plenty of experience!) who honed the cylinders and put the rings on the pistons and pistons back in. I would hope that he knew what he was doing. I didn't personally get around to checking any clearances, just took his words that it'd be ok. .
                        He probably set it all up right but there is saying in my industry.... 'you're only ever as good as your last job' and I'll leave it at that.
                        'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

According to the repair manual it should be possible to blow air through the hose that plugs in to the plenum chamber, coming from the PCV valve (air through the pcv valve that is). It appears completely blocked. Also tried sucking (carefully) but also seems blocked that way. So it seems fair to assume that my pcv valve is blocked and needs cleaning / replacement. I will try to get this sorted in the near future (inlet manifold needs to come off for access....)

However, I don't quite understand how a blocked pcv valve can lead to significantly increased oil consumption...? From reading in the manual the system works as follows:

Crankcase vapours are sucked out (by the vacuum in the plenum chamber) through the mentioned hose / pcv valve which is connected to the left rocker cover. Fresh air enters the engine through a hose connected between the right hand rocker cover and the air inlet pipe somewhere.

I understand that a blocked PCV valve is generally bad as moisture and dirt gets trapped inside the crankcase. But not sure how it could lead to excessive oil consumption...?

In any case, wouldn't ANY internal oil leakage be evident through blue smoke in the exhaust?

Hope someone can shed some light here....

Comment

hey there,

my paj drinks way more oil.

it needs a top up of 1L per 500km in city driving. any ideas why its consuming that much oil?

its definitely not leaking out cause my driveway is clean.

i'm using castrol magnetic engine oil, should i be using a different type/grade of oil, like a thicker oil?

thanks,

jase.

Pajero 98 NL GLS Auto.

Comment

I had the same problem with the oil consumption until i replaced all the valve stem seals, didnt cost me much. it was time consuming but well worth it..
                              2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X