NL snorkel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL snorkel

Probably been done to death already so indulge me, please.
    Has anyone fitted a snorkel to a 3.5L Petrol NL Escape?
    If so, what brand and how easy was it to fit as a DIY project?
    Thanks.

I am about to fit snorkel to 3.5L NL GLX with Escape flares fitted
    Only brand available is TJM Airtech
    (or cheap ones on ebay)- I am using TJM
    Fitting is not a problem - just having the right tools is the issue. I am lending the large hole saw required from an ARB employee. All the fitting up is done inside the drivers wheel arch. Just remove the plastic panels to access bolts for snorkel and remove old air intake. The Airbox and air intake to throttle body has to be removed to drill out 2 holes inside the engine bay.
    And on the outside of the guard, drill large hole and the various 13mm holes for bolts. A very good template is supplied with the TJM snorkel.
    Put it this way, if you are not sure about taking to the side of your car with a drill and hole saw - pay to get it fitted...
    I will take some pictures in the process and post them up here.
    97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

Comment

Great, that would be most helpful. No, I'm confident enough to do the work and am looking forward to it. What did the snorkel cost from TJM? Thanks.

Comment

Snorkel cost - $467.00 from TJM - Had to be ordered in from QLD which took 2 weeks to arrive. Not held in stock.
        But came with great instructions and fitting template. With these items and the right hole saw, it will be easy to fit. Let you know how I go.
        97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

Comment

Originally posted by Shayne View Post
          Snorkel cost - $467.00 from TJM - .
          Gee's I think i payed over $600 for mine, but mine was from WA so maybe thats why. I also installed the snorkel myself, i hadn't used a hole saw before, let alone instaled a snorkel, but i didn't have the extra $200 for them to install it, considering that they dont gaurentee that it is 100% sealed. But it wasn't 2 hard at all, the template with the TJM snorkel was great, then you just had to drill some holes and shove it on. The only hard part was the holesaw bit, i had brought a hole saw designed for cutting wood, but it worked ok, took probably an hour 2 drill through. I would definently do it as DIY again, not just to save money, but becasue i would just want to be sure that all the joints are 100% sealed. But as an extra note, i would want more than 200 dollars to install one, so maybe it is good value.

Shane

Comment

Ok I have taken the easy way out. Paid to get the holes drilled. Only cost $44.00 at Piranha Off Road in Boronia Vic.
            Cheaper than me buying hole saws
            Then I fitted it last night. So once holes were drilled in guard, easy to fit! Instructions with TJM Snorkel are excellent. Total cost - $467.00 + $44.00
            Piranha had to purchase the correct size hole saw to drill out my gaurd - 98mm. As it is different to a standard Snorkel. So if any one in Melbourne is thinking of fitting one, give them a call. They will be happy to get more use from their brand new hole saw. 9762 1200

Comment

I installed a TJM snorkle on an 80 series the template worked well. For the larger hole I used a compass to mark the hole on the paint work, the used the largest hole saw I had and used a grinding bit that fitted the drill, you can buy 'em for about $2 bucks from bunnings i think, to finish it off. didn't take long, and worked well. Just remember to paint any cut metal.

Comment

Shayne,

Do you know the part number of the Airtec snorkel you used? The local TJM store didn't have their brightest shop assistant on when I went there earlier and I really got nowhere.

Were you able to fit the snorkel without affecting/cutting the flares at all?

Thanks.

Comment

yes, as mentioned make sure you add some paint type to the bare metal when the hole is cut through the guard, if you don,t you,ll be sorry after a while when you notice rust stains coming from the area. penetrol is excellent for this job.
                  NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Arrow
                    As a DIY job - not too bad - I fitted a AIRTEC number to my NJ 2.8 TD.

Didnt have a big hole saw so just used a fine jigsaw (with tape) and all turned out well ( painted all raw metal surfaces).

Airtecs template was spot on - fit is great and the head of the unit is sweet compared the the 'loch Ness' look of the other brands.

As per previous comments - fitting it yourself is confidence inspiring - my snorkle will not leak air - but really not if some apprentice did the same job...........................

PS the 2.8 ITD feed air from the right hand guard - so the snorkle does sit along side the drivers side pillar - which my handbrake reckons blocks the view a bit. Hmm she's probably right - but when it comes to the bonnet high plus crossings on the Wonnongatta - who gives a rats about a bit of vision???
                    Lambie
                    NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

I dunno if I could bring myself to drill a hole in the side of my Paj!!! I think I'd be leaving that one to the pros...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X