Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muddy crossing

hey all,

took out the pajero into muddy terrain for the first time, it went through a few muddy water crossings fine untill i hit a slightly deeper one and got stuck lol. the water level was about 5-10 cm below tyre height. it was sittin in there for a while until i got a tow. abit of water got inside the car, but other than that, the paj still works lol.

forgot to use center diff lock lol, maybe that would of helped me get back out or not lol. but are we meant to go into these mud puddles at speed or slow? i went in quick, it almost made it to the other end.

just wanted to know if i needed to inspect anything for damaged parts and all, or to change any kinds of oil etc...

thanks guys.

jase.

Paj 98 NL GLS Auto
    Last edited by jase; 21-01-08, 12:58 PM.

I made the same mistake. Gave it a good wash to get all the grit out. I found mud had leaked in the rear and behind the plastic lining the rear seat well.

We fun but not going there again. Too much mess to clean up
    Pajero Exceed 3.8l, BFG AT 275/70, Narva Ultima 175 spots, o2 Jamin with BT GPS, O'Briens camping trailer, 2" Lift with Bilsten Shocks.

Comment

The key with muddie crossings like that is to enter at 2nd gear low range, soon as you can feel the guts starting to drag, feather the throttle a bit. Most of the time you will get stuck lol, but sometimes it will pull you through - for example - this is my old suzuki

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=SA502501.flv
      NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

haha i'll keep that in mind for next time,

but yeh, i've heard that the diffs could suck in water?

and also, the paj takes longer to crank now after the muddy crossing yesterday.
        is this because the muddy water did something to the electrics, starter, battery even?
        i checked the alternator, it seems to be working. or is it just a coincidence that my battery is starting to die as well?

and im guessing the fan would of just thrown water everywhere in the engine bay, which is prob causing this high pitch sound, like a dirty pulley or dry bearing of some sort.

thanks again guys,

jase.

Comment

Hit it hard and fast it makes better fotage for the cameras
          Last edited by redpaj; 22-01-08, 08:24 PM.

Comment

yes it look good on film but thats where the damage is done pussing radiators etc etc and it can be expensive.
            (iv leant my lesson)
            89 LWB pajero 2.5lt DTI 2 inch suspension 2 inch body safari snorkle.

Comment

The suzy video clip is probably the best way to tackle it. But it sometimes helps as you start to get stuck to reef the steering wheel back and forth to help stop digging in. It also gives extra bite.Every bit helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jase View Post
                haha i'll keep that in mind for next time,

which is prob causing this high pitch sound, like a dirty pulley or dry bearing of some sort.

jase.
                Check your Alternator again!
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                  yes it look good on film but thats where the damage is done pussing radiators etc etc and it can be expensive.
                  (iv leant my lesson)
                  The pajs love it mine has never given me a dramar

Comment

Also check your differential fluids. Not likely but its possible if you sat in the water for a while that some could have gotten in the oil.
                    03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X