X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL shaky ride

Just come back from my first long trip in my NL. 1500kms
    Found the ride very ruff and shaky on sealed country roads
    Just had new tyres and rims fitted, but this is not the problem. Steering wheel doesn't move or shake, but driving along at 100km/h the body of the car shakes and when I hit a bump in the road the body moves and shakes like I am driving on a corrigated dirt road. Sitting inside is like a old leaf spring truck on a dirt road. As I just said - steering wheel is staying straight and there is no wheel wobble.
    I have BFG A/T 265 75 16 tyres that are new. Had a front end alinement also before I went. I have OME Shockers front and rear. OME springs in the rear with airbags at 5PSI only. These all were already fitted when I bought the car
    Below 80 km/H it drives fine, so around home and to work in Melbourne no problem - drives nice and smooth. Had 38 PSI in the tyres and only a medium load. Stopped to check tyres pressures and they went upto 43 PSI after an few hours of driving.
    Off road drove fine.......
    Car had been used in the outback for about 5 weeks a year by the previous owner
    My thoughts - Front Shockers high speed dampening stuffed - body mounts worn - tyre pressures to high - drop to 32 -34 PSI
    Has anyone get any ideas..........
    97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

my nl does the same thing wheels and steering nice and straight but body feels like it's rocking / shaking at 100 k
    i put mine down to shagged springs and shockers. i think there was an old thread on this with nl's maybe tale shaft or brake rotors were mentioned.

Comment

Hi
      My NH 3L does the same thing,
      At a speed of 100 or over it just shakes and vibrates like like a jack hammer, steering feels fine. Just feels like the cabin is shaking.

Even at lower speeds just hit a little bump and it feels like the cabin is falling apart.

My thaughts are Shocks and the rear bush of the transfer case where the tail shaft goes in.

Havn't had any time or money to do anything about it yet. Dont want to spend the money unless im sure its the problem.

When i get a chance ill probably remove the rear tail shaft and take it for a drive like that and see how it goes. If the viberation is gone at high speeds that means the rear bush of the transfer case is gone or also tailshaft is unbalanced.

Cheers
      2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

Thanks guys .... If someone has a link to the old thread about this problem with NL's would be great. I am with you. Don't want to replace anything until I'm sure of the cause.
        If you have any luck with removing the tail shaft let me know.
        I will have a look at the rear bush of the transfer case.
        Don't think springs and shockers will be the cause, as the wheel would be floating around if they were stuffed. Just seems to be the cabin as you guys have stated
        97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

Comment

Have a NL myself and don't have any of this sort of problem... but then again at 101000k's it shouldn't.
          Have replaced front and rear shocks a while back.. and did improve the ride.

Comment

Check that your tyres aren't out of round. If they are out the mass spins unevenly and gets worse with speed.

BFG consider up to 300 grams of weight on a rim to be within reason, so that may give an indication of tolerances - or lack of them!

In my opinion. the NL is very stiffly sprung to give better on road handling, but this affects the ride. 265/75 would be a LT tyre which is stiffer also.

I am looking at softening mine up a bit for both ride and off-road use.
            98 NL LWB with plenty on the wish list

Comment

Mine has done around 180000 k's. I spoke to the previous owner about my problem, he is very honest person. Said that he had not experienced this issue but had not driven the car over 80km/h for about a year.

Comment

Thanks CRH - I will have a look at the tyres and get them spun up again to check the balance and roundness.

Comment

Hi Guys
                  I have an NJ that has done 165K and was suffering the same "shake the car to bits syndrome".

Rear shocks got replaced at about 145K with some Ironman Foam Cells (big suckers) due to the originals beginning to leak oil - outcome - no difference to the bone shaking.

At about 160K I replaced the front shocks cuz I was sick of the bone shaking ride (local pedders rep reckons the front shocks would be the reason - small country town - so no bull - really). Facing a $300 cost with no guarentee - but with lots to gain - I changed them over and Wa Laa - much improved ride - still not perfect but much better.

BTW I'm running 238/85R16 LT tyres and have found that if I run them at more than 34psi (normal load) ride is worse.

Interestingly, the Paj rides much better when loaded up for a weekend away - never quite worked that one out...................

Hey Shayne - also noticed you have HEAPS of extra weight over the front end (compared to standard) how cranked are the torsion bars? CUZ that will affect ride - and when were the OME shocks fitted - perhaps the front ones are on the way out?

Lambie
                  NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Lambie
                    I have the torsion bars cranked up a fair way - 10mm from top bump stop. This is to get the car somewhere near level and get clearance with the tyres. I am thinking the shocks could be a bit sus. About 3 years old. Or on top of all other things mentioned - maybe the torsion bars are getting stuffed?? I will try the tyres down to 34 PSI - see if this helps. And get them checked for roundness also.....

Comment

I think the hint here is "you have wound up the front to make it level"... Mine is still level... no mods to the suspension.
                      I would say your torsion bars / front shocks are on holiday (sagged).... time to renew.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X