Timing Belt and water pump quote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt and water pump quote.

Hi all, this is simlar to the other thread about losing water but what the hell.
    On Wednesday just gone my Paj overheated and came to a halt. we checked out the problem and I had burst a radiator hose and lost 90% of my coolant. We got some water and after it cooled a bit we added it and the Paj started and ran OK. Of course water was pissing out of the top hose so we got towed to the nearest radiator place and it was promptly fixed. They did a pressure test and found my water pump was leaking. Ive had an issue with coolant loss for about a month or so, so this doesnt surprise me.
    My car has done 187k and i planned to get the timing belt done at 190k so I got a few quotes for the job and it has come to $1100 for the entire timing belt kit plus a new water pump. Does this sound right?
    I was under the impression that about $800 would pull it up, am I being ripped off?
    My Paj is a 99 NL Exceed 3.5 Lt V6 Auto

Cheers boys, like your work
    04 NP Exceed
    3.8 V6
    My 2nd car and boat tow vehicle
    I love her

Originally posted by Goody View Post
    Hi all, this is simlar to the other thread about losing water but what the hell.
    On Wednesday just gone my Paj overheated and came to a halt. we checked out the problem and I had burst a radiator hose and lost 90% of my coolant. We got some water and after it cooled a bit we added it and the Paj started and ran OK. Of course water was pissing out of the top hose so we got towed to the nearest radiator place and it was promptly fixed. They did a pressure test and found my water pump was leaking. Ive had an issue with coolant loss for about a month or so, so this doesnt surprise me.
    My car has done 187k and i planned to get the timing belt done at 190k so I got a few quotes for the job and it has come to $1100 for the entire timing belt kit plus a new water pump. Does this sound right?
    I was under the impression that about $800 would pull it up, am I being ripped off?
    My Paj is a 99 NL Exceed 3.5 Lt V6 Auto

Cheers boys, like your work
    Hi mate, I'm in Tasmania, where I find prices are much higher compared to the mainland. $1100 to me sounds a bit much, considering the prices of the parts. I'll be doing the timing belt on Monday when I change the water pump. The spare timing belt came with the Paj when I bought it, so I don't know how much they cost, but the water pump varies in price from $236 to $371 depending on which pump is on the vehicle. I don't reckon it would take a mechanic any more than 3 to 4 hours, in fact I reckon they would be quicker than that. I expect it will take me a bit longer as this will be the first time I'll be taking all the belts off to swap the water pump. Hopefully the pump I've bought is the right one, as its the cheaper one at $236, but even if I have to take it back for the more expensive pump, it will be considerably less than the price you've been quoted.
    97 NK

Comment

Its problably not a bad price, although it depends if they are putting a genuine pump in or a aftermarket one. Genuine pumps are around $250 mark which is the full unit.

Alot of aftermarket pumps are only half of the pump and cost around the $100 mark. Timing belt kit cost me around $130 odd when I got mine changed.

Its quite funny as there are about 3 or 4 of us who are all loosing water in our Pajero's! Also, the above info is regarding 3lt so Im not sure what the price difference is.

Comment

most of the time it is better if you have repairs done by Mitsubishi mechanics as they do these cars all day long 5 days per week , compaired to the other mechanic guy that could take longer to do the same job repair. get more quotes if you dont have a mits dealer service available.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
          most of the time it is better if you have repairs done by Mitsubishi mechanics as they do these cars all day long 5 days per week , compaired to the other mechanic guy that could take longer to do the same job repair. get more quotes if you dont have a mits dealer service available.
          I got a quote from mitsu dealer in queanbeyan for a 200k km service (just clicked over 200k yesterday arvo), timing belt, all fluids/oils changed, plugs, =$1100.00. I will also change water pump but he didnt quote it. Shop around for a few more quotes. I will be getting this done late march, should be good as new

Comment

Originally posted by actpaj View Post
            I got a quote from mitsu dealer in queanbeyan for a 200k km service (just clicked over 200k yesterday arvo), timing belt, all fluids/oils changed, plugs, =$1100.00. I will also change water pump but he didnt quote it. Shop around for a few more quotes. I will be getting this done late march, should be good as new

If in fact you do decide to have the dealer do the work for you, ask them to use a Dayco timing belt kit, and Diamond Spectrum drive belts, which they can easily get through the spare parts department. You will save yourself a few hundred dollars.
            Also, ask them to use the genuine Mitsu oil, as it's cheaper than the bulk oil they have in their pumps, and that you'd like for no additives to be used... no oil system flush, or fuel system cleaner. These additives you'll find are automatically included into a service quote, at any dealer!

Comment

i had a quote from mitsubishi to replace the timing belt for $750. they do recommend that the water pump should be done at the same time seeing its right there with the belt.
              NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

At $100 buks an hour v's $70 odd that may not be the best logic.... And mitsy charge for every second that spend at your car, your local mechanic in most cases doesnt.

Comment

I'm doing my service at 180k tomorow, will replace timing belt, sparks, cables, water pump, service transmission etc will post you with the price
                  NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

Comment

Got the job done and they actually come under in the quote, plus they flushed out the cooling system, only problem now is the Air Con isnt cooling!!!
                    You can hear it click on and off but no cool air. Fan is working. I'll take it back tommorow to see whats up, but do any of you learned gentleman have an answer for me on why a perfectly good AC doesnt work after a timing belt and water pump was replaced!!!!
                    Last edited by Goody; 05-02-08, 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling
                    04 NP Exceed
                    3.8 V6
                    I love her

Comment

Just finished service at Alan Mance Mitsubishi, Footscray

Timing belt 109.00$
                      Non genuine water pump 94.00$ (they were out of stock and I did not want to come another time so I took non genuine one, same varanty ...)
                      NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                        Got the job done and they actually come under in the quote, plus they flushed out the cooling system, only problem now is the Air Con isnt cooling!!!
                        You can hear it click on and off but no cool air. Fan is working. I'll take it back tommorow to see whats up, but do any of you learned gentleman have an answer for me on why a perfectly good AC doesnt work after a timing belt and water pump was replaced!!!!
                        not a 100% sure on the NL but i think there the same as on the earlier models which require the air cond compressor to be removed from the mounting bracket to get the timing belt covers off. often when they are laid off to the side they can leak the gas out due to the hoses being hard and twisted on a different angle. this would be the most likely reason if its clicking on and off.
                        cheers murray
                        95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

I took it down first thing this morning, it looks like the poor overworked mechanic had not reattached a clip on the air con, its going good now.
                          I am soooo relieved, I could just imagine the counter argument now " How do we know your aircon wasnt working when you dropped it off" and stuff.

Phewww
                          04 NP Exceed
                          3.8 V6
                          I love her

Comment

Theory says shouldn't have anything to do with it, but chances are the wire of the compressor or something to that effect has been left off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
                              Just finished service at Alan Mance Mitsubishi, Footscray

Timing belt 109.00$
                              Non genuine water pump 94.00$ (they were out of stock and I did not want to come another time so I took non genuine one, same varanty ...)
                              i hope this timing belt change also included a new drive pully plus adjust spring ?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X