Pajero GLX 3.0 91 model - wont go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero GLX 3.0 91 model - wont go!

I have got a 1991 mitsubishi pajero 3.0 lts GLX. The valves burnt out in the heads and the heads went for repair, got them back and put the car back together, and the engine wont start. Timing is right..... cam timing seems right

Turns over like there is a kill switch on it, (gets so close to starting then wont).can anyone help me out with what this might be?

Have had several mechanics look at it, but because were in the backyard its hard to strip the engine down etc...........

Would this be fuel injection related?

We are so stuck.......any suggestions!

Assuming the cam timing is correct,
    Is there any spark at the plugs?
    Check the position of the leads, and the spark ( ignition timing ).

When you removed the dizzy its possible that it didnt go back in the correct position, remove the cover and check it manualy, put piston no: 1 at the firing position, it should match up with the timing mark on the crank, then look at the rotor under the dizzy cap and it should be lined up to fire on the no 1 point.

Also check that there is no air in the fuel lines, resulting not enough fuel getting to the injectors..

Let us know how u go..
    2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

First thing id be double checking is the dizzy, the caps have a cross over in them, so wat looks like no.1 isnt really.

So if a few mechanics have looked at it, you obviously have comp on all cylinders? How many psi do you know? And fuel pressure, thats been checked along with checking for a pulse at the injectors? And is there spark? The only other possible thing i can think of is like jimako said, the cam timing could be wrong...

So the short of it, if your confident the cam timing and ignition timing are correct, then with fuel, comp and spark it goes, so which one are you missing?

Comment

as 6G74 said re check your ignition timing normally the rotor button points towards the rear of the vehicle when on tdc. also check all your wiring has been plugged back in. these dont normally struggle with air in the fuel so unless the fuel pump failed that will be ok.
        i had a NH towed into the workshop once wouldn't start and the mechanic had got the cam timing wrong its easy to do
        95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

Hey all thanks for your help, ok we have found out the cam timing is out, i dont have a sevice manual can anyone help me with the timing on this car...... the rleft hand cam is defiantely out a whole notch to start with.....

How do I know what to adjust it to, i am googling like mad and cant find anything, sorry to be so vague!

We have checked and the dizzy/rotor etc are set back to factory original settings so would like the cam timing to do that too!

Comment

Originally posted by brodieb View Post
            i dont have a sevice manual can anyone help me with the timing on this car...... the rleft hand cam is defiantely out a whole notch to start with.....
            I sincerely hope nothing's bendt... since it's out by a tooth... which is a bit considering it moves half the speed of the bottom end.

I would think it be a straight forward operation...
            • pull the plastic cover off
            • remove the timing belt
            • line up all the timing marks on the sprockets to the ones on the backing plates (crank would be close to 12 o'c, and the cams would be close to 12 o'c)
            • put the timing belt back on making sure nothing moves
            • turn it over by hand a few times (8 revolutions) to make sure it spins relatively easily
            • try and restart it normally... see what happens.

Most marks align to around twelve o'clock on sprockets/gears but don't take that as absolute.... and the marks themselves can be anything from a dot on the face of the sprocket to a nick out of the back of a tooth.

Just wondering how you set up the ignition timing if it won't start?

You stuck the crankshaft timing to the base setting of 6 degrees or whatever (I don't know... just a general as most stuff will start on that setting) and then set the dizzy to fire on no. 1 plug ?
            'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Working my way through the site and this came up next and seems relevant.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...?t=1594&page=3

Has a good photo of the nicks in the cam sprockets and timed position.
              'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Luckly on the 3ltrs they are 'free spinners' so to speak, valves cant hit the pistions!

As Jaydee said, you should find marks to line everything up... How many mechanics have looked at this so far?

Comment

The timing is right, yeah?

Go to this site, and print what you need. The Montero is the Pajero.

http://www.twingles.com/manualcd/dsmgift/6g72.pdf

Find the "dots" on the cam gears, and you'll be right!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaydee View Post
                    I sincerely hope nothing's bendt... since it's out by a tooth... which is a bit considering it moves half the speed of the bottom end.

I would think it be a straight forward operation...
                    • pull the plastic cover off
                    • remove the timing belt
                    • line up all the timing marks on the sprockets to the ones on the backing plates (crank would be close to 12 o'c, and the cams would be close to 12 o'c)
                    • put the timing belt back on making sure nothing moves
                    • turn it over by hand a few times (8 revolutions) to make sure it spins relatively easily
                    • try and restart it normally... see what happens.

Most marks align to around twelve o'clock on sprockets/gears but don't take that as absolute.... and the marks themselves can be anything from a dot on the face of the sprocket to a nick out of the back of a tooth.

Just wondering how you set up the ignition timing if it won't start?

You stuck the crankshaft timing to the base setting of 6 degrees or whatever (I don't know... just a general as most stuff will start on that setting) and then set the dizzy to fire on no. 1 plug ?
                    Hi all,
                    I am having the same problem on my 91 NH V6. I have repaired a burnt valve, put the engine back together and can't get it to start. the engine cranks over fine giving a sense that it's about to start, but nothing.

I have a Haynes manual which I followed and aligned the crank and cam sprockets to their respective timing marks. I have also aligned the timing marks on the distributor shaft casing and shaft itself. But for some reason when I refit the distributor it does not line up with cyl #1 position. This is driving me crazy. Did you manage to get yours going? if so can you provide guidance please.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X